Why are Paul's letters considered sacred scripture?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Why are Paul's letters considered sacred scripture?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

1) If Jesus is the "Word of God" shouldn't he be the last Word?

2) Why would Jesus need the interpreter Paul?

3) Shouldn't Paul's letters be considered just that and not sacred scripture? Nothing more than very influential pastoral advice, admonition, and encouragement? And theological treatises?

4) Do modern Christians quote Paul more than Jesus, heed Paul more than Jesus, and for all practical purposes, put Paul's letters above Jesus words as recorded in the Gospels?

5) Is Paul the "another helper" Jesus spoke of in the Gospel of John? Or would that be the Holy Spirit. (side note point of interest not debate, Muslims interpret that prediction as referring to the prophet Muhammed)

Please address any combination of these questions.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

tam
Savant

Post #31

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to post 30 by Elijah John]

So to do the will of God is believing in Jesus? Nothing more? Not according to the Synoptics, and the Sermon on the Mount.

How can a person claim to truly believe in Christ, if they do not believe what He says and DO what He commands?

"Why do you call me Lord Lord but do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46

Paul is not teaching a different gospel when he speaks about believing in Christ to be saved. Faith should compel works. If one's faith compels no works, is it truly faith?

Even the thief on the cross had works to go with his faith - he defended Christ and asked that Christ remember him in His Kingdom. If he had not believed in Christ, why would he have said all the things he said?

And keep in mind that in the passage you are questioning from Paul, he refers also to confessing with one's mouth (and so are saved):

"...that if you confess with your mouth, “[Jesus] is Lord,� and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved

And I was reminded in the spirit of the following from my Lord:

Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father in heaven. Matt 10:32 (see also Luke 12:8)

This does not sound like Paul is preaching a different gospel.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Elijah John
Savant

Post #32

Post by Elijah John »

tam wrote:
And keep in mind that in the passage you are questioning from Paul, he refers also to confessing with one's mouth (and so are saved):

"...that if you confess with your mouth, “[Jesus] is Lord,� and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father in heaven. Matt 10:32 (see also Luke 12:8)

Peace again to you,
tammy
The part about the necessity of believing in your heart that God raised him from the dead as a condition for salvation is an addition. In effect, a "different Gospel" Ironic since Paul cursed others for preaching a different Gospel from his.

Paul preached "Christ and him crucified". Jesus preached the necessity of keeping the commandments for salvation. Jesus did not preach "me and me crucified." Paul preached a "different Gospel" based on Jesus death and resurrection, not on his life teachings.

-YHVH is LORD

tam
Savant

Post #33

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Elijah John wrote:
tam wrote:

"...that if you confess with your mouth, “[Jesus] is Lord,� and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Peace again to you,
tammy
The part about the necessity of believing in your heart that God raised him from the dead as a condition for salvation is an addition.
Are you sure? Are you sure it is not just a part of believing in Christ? That He truly is who He (and His Father) said, that He truly was raised from the dead, that He is truly alive (and so able to mediate for us with God, raise us up on the last day, carry our yoke...)?

Believing in Christ is more than just believing (some of) the things He is recorded to have said... it is about believing in Christ Jaheshua Himself.

May I ask why you think this is an issue?

Paul preached "Christ and him crucified". Jesus preached the necessity of keeping the commandments for salvation. Jesus did not preach "me and me crucified."
Well, He had not been crucified yet, EJ.

And the view you present is very narrow (perhaps also a bit out of context). Christ preached His Father and Himself as well. He also said to His disciples is that they would be HIS witnesses.

"It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority. But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.� Acts 1:8, see also Luke 24:46-48, John 15:27

Paul was supposed to preaching Christ (and His death and resurrection is part of that, since Christ gave His life for us, was resurrected, given all authority in heaven and on earth). As the true and faithful witness, Christ Himself bears witness to His Father.

Paul preached a "different Gospel" based on Jesus death and resurrection, not on his life teachings.
Christ preached those things too (Matt 20:28; 26:28; Mark 10:45; John 10:17, 18)- and of course He also did them (died and was resurrected). How is that not going to be part of a witness to Him?

And His 'life teachings' continue, because He is still alive to teach and rebuke and refine us.

Peace again to you,
tammy

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 30 by Elijah John]

How about you, EJ, do you "believe in Jesus", or do you "keep the commandments", ..or perhaps both?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #35

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 30 by Elijah John]

How about you, EJ, do you "believe in Jesus", or do you "keep the commandments", ..or perhaps both?
A little personal, don't ya think? ;)

I believe in Jesus, though not in the same way you do. When Jesus said "keep the commandments" he was speaking of the ethical, not the ritual purity commandments.

Did Jesus ever say "don't bother to try to keep the commandments, because to attempt to do this would put you under the Law, and the Law brings death"? I don't see it. Paul said that though, in essence.

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 28 by Elijah John]
Not everyone who cries "Lord Lord" will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only they who do the will of my Father who is in Heaven.

Sounds like a Gospel of "works" to me. "Do", "Does" means action, i.e. "works", behavior.
If only it was that simple, EJ.

28 Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?�
29 Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.�…
That's what John's Jesus says. And it's circular and basically meaningless. The will of God is expressed in His Law. At the very least, the Ten Commandments. Or, as Jesus encapsulated it, treating others the way you would like to be treated. That is the Law and the Prophets, i.e. the will of God. Not "believing in Jesus". Not "believing in the Messiah". Was it ever preached in Jesus own Bible that salvation comes from "believing in the Messiah"?

So to do the will of God is believing in Jesus? Nothing more? Not according to the Synoptics, and the Sermon on the Mount.

It seems the two Jesuses preached two different Gospels too. John's Jesus "Believe in the One He has sent". The Synoptic Jesus, "keep the Commandments". Which of the Commandments says "Thou shalt believe in Jesus"?
"in Jesus own Bible"?

Which one is that?