One or two?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Gracchus
Apprentice

One or two?

Post #1

Post by Gracchus »

In Galatians 2:7 a person named Πέτ�ος (Peter, Latin: rock [Rocky ?]) is mentioned, then in Galatians 2:9 a person named Κηφᾶς (Kephas, Greek: cumin, the aromatic seeds of a plant of the parsley family, used as a spice ) is mentioned. Is there any reason, Biblical or otherwise, to believe these names (likely nick-names) are referring to the same person?

:-s

tigger2
Sage

Post #2

Post by tigger2 »

Képhas: "a rock," Cephas, a name given to the apostle Peter
Original Word: Κηφᾶς, ᾶ, �
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: Képhas
Phonetic Spelling: (kay-fas')
Definition: "a rock", Cephas, a name given to the apostle Peter
Usage: Cephas (Aramaic for rock), the new name given to Simon Peter, the apostle.
https://biblehub.com/greek/2786.htm

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #3

Post by brianbbs67 »

Both are assumed to be the same. I believe they are unless you have other evidence?

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 3 by brianbbs67]
Hmm... In verse seven the author names him in a Greek and then in nine, he is named in Aramaic?! The author of Galatians gives no indication they are the same person, and the "renaming" of Simon was not indicated until several decades after the epistle. Just as several of the "apostles" being renamed seems to be an attempt to resolve differing accounts in the gospels, this seems like a conflation of two individuals.
Last edited by Gracchus on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 3 by brianbbs67]

Do you know what they say about assumptions?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Gracchus wrote: [Replying to post 3 by brianbbs67]

Do you know what they say about assumptions?
Yes I do. However, in that time Aramaic was the common tongue, Greek was the business language, Roman was official and Hebrew was for the Temple. So, having the names used interchangeably is not a stretch at all. Like I said, unless you have discovered something new about 2 Peters existing?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: One or two?

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

Gracchus wrote: In Galatians 2:7 a person named Πέτ�ος (Peter, Latin: rock [Rocky ?]) is mentioned, then in Galatians 2:9 a person named Κηφᾶς (Kephas, Greek: cumin, the aromatic seeds of a plant of the parsley family, used as a spice ) is mentioned. Is there any reason, Biblical or otherwise, to believe these names (likely nick-names) are referring to the same person?

:-s
Yes. Peter had a handful of names. Besides Peter, it was Cephas, and Simon. And possibly another.

Paul was Saul and then Paul.

One disciple called Mark was also called John.

A person having more than one name was common in those days. Even Jesus has two names--Yeshua and Michael. (Or maybe that's 3 names.)

Overcomer
Guru

Post #8

Post by Overcomer »

onewithin wrote:
A person having more than one name was common in those days. Even Jesus has two names--Yeshua and Michael. (Or maybe that's 3 names.)
Where does the Bible state that?

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Where does the Bible state that?
It don't but with a little research found out what the true names are for example Yeshua.

Jesus refers to Peter:and Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mathew 16:17

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm

His burial has that reference: The charcoal inscription reads: "Shimon Bar Yonah" which means "Simon [Peter] son of Jonah"

Overcomer
Guru

Post #10

Post by Overcomer »

I asked where it stated in the Bible that Michael was another name for Jesus.

In reply Yahwehismywitness wrote:
It don't but with a little research found out what the true names are for example Yeshua.

Jesus refers to Peter:and Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mathew 16:17

http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/peters-jerusalem-tomb.htm

His burial has that reference: The charcoal inscription reads: "Shimon Bar Yonah" which means "Simon [Peter] son of Jonah"
I'm sorry, but I don't see how a discussion of Peter's names tells me why someone might think that Michael is another name for Jesus.

If you're trying to suggest that, while it isn't in the Bible, God revealed that to someone, then I have to say this: If it isn't in the Bible, why would I believe it? Anybody can say they heard from God, but if it doesn't line up with God's Word, then I have to reject it. So I am rejecting "Michael" as another name for Jesus.