One or two?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Gracchus
Apprentice

One or two?

Post #1

Post by Gracchus »

In Galatians 2:7 a person named Πέτ�ος (Peter, Latin: rock [Rocky ?]) is mentioned, then in Galatians 2:9 a person named Κηφᾶς (Kephas, Greek: cumin, the aromatic seeds of a plant of the parsley family, used as a spice ) is mentioned. Is there any reason, Biblical or otherwise, to believe these names (likely nick-names) are referring to the same person?

:-s

onewithhim
Savant

Re: One or two?

Post #31

Post by onewithhim »

Checkpoint wrote:
r1xlx wrote: [Replying to post 7 by onewithhim]

Jesus has never had two names unless you mean Jesus and Christ.
Calling him Michael is Jehovah's Witness cult nonsense.
All Jehovah's Witnesses are doomed for their false doctrines.
Doomed?

I know they have some false doctrines, but how does that doom them?
What exactly are our false doctrines?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #32

Post by onewithhim »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
Then tell me how Michael, who is not Jesus, as you say, figures into the scenario of the Great Tribulation as spoken of by Jesus in Matthew 24 and Luke 21. Where is this OTHER PERSON, Michael, mentioned by Jesus, who was describing the Great Tribulation. If Michael was not Jesus, then surely Jesus would speak of him as someone other than himself. You did notice, didn't you, that Michael is involved with the Great Tribulation, as spoken of in Daniel 12:1. So where is he in Jesus' depiction of the Great Tribulation?
I will agree his Hebrew name is Yeshua:

But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.� Jude 1:9

Michael leads Yahweh's armies against Satan's forces in the Book of Revelation, where during the war in heaven he defeats Satan.

Jesus is savior not warrior he is worthy to open the book. He is healer and teacher.

Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? Mathew 26:53

Angels were sent to Jesus after Satan tempted him Mathew 4:11
Jesus is also a warrior, in the final battle against Satan and his minions. (Revelation 19:11-16) It's not a stretch to see that it is Jesus himself who leads Jehovah's armies against Satan's forces. We see that in the 19th chapter of Revelation.

Why do you think Michael, who you say is not Jesus, has privileges that only Jesus should have? You are undermining Jesus' authority and position.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 30 by Yahwehismywitness]
Are you referring to Mikael the arch-angel?

If so, on what basis do you claim this?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #34

Post by onewithhim »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 30 by Yahwehismywitness]

Do you have a comment on posts 31 and 32? I don't expect you to agree. Just your thoughts.

Also, "Yahwehismywitness" was saying, I'm pretty sure, that Jesus' name in Hebrew is "Yeshua."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 30 by Yahwehismywitness]

Do you have a comment on posts 31 and 32? I don't expect you to agree. Just your thoughts.

Also, "Yahwehismywitness" was saying, I'm pretty sure, that Jesus' name in Hebrew is "Yeshua.
No, I have no comment on posts 31 and 32.

You are probably right about the Yeshua remark. That poster is often difficult to follow.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #36

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

J
Jesus is also a warrior, in the final battle against Satan and his minions. (Revelation 19:11-16) It's not a stretch to see that it is Jesus himself who leads Jehovah's armies against Satan's forces. We see that in the 19th chapter of Revelation.

Why do you think Michael, who you say is not Jesus, has privileges that only Jesus should have? You are undermining Jesus' authority and position.
2 Peter 2:11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring NOT railing accusation against them before Yahweh
Revelation 19
verse 13 it says the word of Yahweh In verse 15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword it is about righteousness as is said in verse 11. The armies followed him verse 14

Isaiah 11:4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

Michael actually is leader of Yahweh's army against Satan
Jesus is savior, King of earth and heaven uses the word of Yahweh with his mouth he is the one that judges I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me." (John 5: 20-30)

Yeshua is the Hebrew name of Jesus

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #37

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Revelation 22:9
I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. But he said to me, "Do not do that I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God."

The main reason is because only God is worthy of our worship, and nothing else must be allowed to take His place. Jesus said (quoting the Old Testament), "Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only" (Matthew 4:10). Angels were created by God (just as we were), and only our Creator is worthy of our adoration.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by Checkpoint »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: Revelation 22:9
I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. But he said to me, "Do not do that I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God."

The main reason is because only God is worthy of our worship, and nothing else must be allowed to take His place. Jesus said (quoting the Old Testament), "Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only" (Matthew 4:10). Angels were created by God (just as we were), and only our Creator is worthy of our adoration.
In that worship scenario, where do you see Jesus? Should we worship him?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #39

Post by onewithhim »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: Revelation 22:9

That is right. And when Jesus said what he did at Matt.4:10, he was quoting from Deuteronomy where the name of God is included---YHWH, the Tetragrammaton, popularly known as "Jehovah" or "Yahweh." He most certainly did not substitute "Lord" for his Father's name.