Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The question is whether the Sabbath which came the next day was a Saturday Sabbath or the Passover Sabbath or both. I believe that all the evidence is unanimous that Jesus was crucufied on the day before the Passover. Matthew confirms this, as in Matthew 27:62 he says that the day after the crucifixion was the "one after Preparation Day" (ie preparation day for the Passover.

And John has no Eucharist account at the last supper.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #61

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Okay so basically even though Jesus died on the wednesday you don't count wednesday as the first day he was dead. So you count ....
3pm Wednesday Jesus dies (but this is not the first day he's dead ) ---> sunset

Thur (thur evening/night /morning/afternoon/sunset) 1st day

Fri (evening/night /morning/afternoon/sunset) 2nd day

Sat (thur evening/night /morning/afternoon....) 3pm 3rd day RISEN
Okay now I understand. I don't agree with you (the first day you have a cold isn't counted from the day following catching the cold) but at least I understand what you are saying,

Thanks for your patience

JW
Thanks for your patience too.

I am not surprised we don't agree, but I am interested to get your take.

Presumably you have Wednesday as your start day.

Please take us step by step for 3 days and 3 nights, about 72 hours.

I look forward to another good job from you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #62

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 61 by Checkpoint]

WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SPOKE OF THE SIGN OF JONAH AT MATTHEW 12:40?

MATTHEW 12:40 NWT

For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish for three days and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights"
Jesus did not use the in Matthew 12:40 to mean 72 hours.
"A short time in the morning of the seventh day counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though, of the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day." -- The Jewish Encyclopedia, Vol.4, pg.474,

“In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning idem
Jesus was refering to "a day" (ie 24 hour period) idiomatically (see above) accordjng to the Jewish custom of counting the entire day (ie from sunset to the following sunset) even if the event happened right of at the end of said day. This doesnt have to be a proven or a common usage as Jesus was well known for coming up with unique or rarely used illustrations and metaphor.
When do we start counting if we want to celebrate a baby'shis first year of life (first birthday ) ?
The above reading allows him to be resurrected on the third day starting from and including the day he died (which is the usual understanding of ordinal numbers.. 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc).

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rstrats
Scholar

Post #63

Post by rstrats »

Checkpoint,
re: "Good question. On the face of it, perhaps with some difficulty, if at all! To be revisited."

OK, I shall await your explanation.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 61 by Checkpoint]

WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SPOKE OF THE SIGN OF JONAH AT MATTHEW 12:40?

MATTHEW 12:40 NWT

For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish for three days and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights"
Jesus did not use the in Matthew 12:40 to mean 72 hours.
"A short time in the morning of the seventh day counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though, of the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day." -- The Jewish Encyclopedia, Vol.4, pg.474,

“In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning.� idem
Jesus was refering to "a day" (ie 24 hour period) idiomatically (see above) accordjng to the Jewish custom of counting the entire day (ie from sunset to the following sunset) even if the event happened right of at the end of said day. This doesnt have to be a proven or a common usage as Jesus was well known for coming up with unique or rarely used illustrations and metaphor.
When do we start counting if we want to celebrate a baby'shis first year of life (first birthday ) ?
The above reading allows him to be resurrected on the third day starting from and including the day he died (which is the usual understanding of ordinal numbers.. 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc).

JW
So, on which day of the week did he die, and on which day of the week did he rise?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #65

Checkpoint wrote:So, on which day of the week did he die, and on which day of the week did he rise?

We believe Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

rstrats
Scholar

Post #66

Post by rstrats »

JehovahsWitness,
re: "We believe Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday."

How do you account for the lack of a third night?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #67

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:So, on which day of the week did he die, and on which day of the week did he rise?

JW
How does that fulfil "3 days and 3 nights"?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW
rstrats wrote: JehovahsWitness,

Was there something in my post explaining our take on that that you didnt understand?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 9#p1002749
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #69

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW
rstrats wrote: JehovahsWitness,

Was there something in my post explaining our take on that that you didnt understand?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 49#1002749
Yes, I remember that post, and in view of this common understanding and usage, one could legitimately come up with your answer, and one or two others.

Reluctant though I am in this case, in general I prefer some flexibility as a principle rather than rigidity, especially concerning time frames and numbers.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #70

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Matthew 28:1-10 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

28 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. 2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: 4 and for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. 5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. 6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. 8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.

9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him. 10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.

As it began to dawn he was already awake

For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.� Matthew 12:8