Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The question is whether the Sabbath which came the next day was a Saturday Sabbath or the Passover Sabbath or both. I believe that all the evidence is unanimous that Jesus was crucufied on the day before the Passover. Matthew confirms this, as in Matthew 27:62 he says that the day after the crucifixion was the "one after Preparation Day" (ie preparation day for the Passover.

And John has no Eucharist account at the last supper.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #101

Post by Checkpoint »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
So then if you're referring to the weekly Sabbath, you're saying that the resurrection occurred sometime during the first half, i.e., the night portion of the Sabbath, and that the women came to do their work on the Sabbath. Is that what you mean?
I believe the last supper refers to Seder meal mentions fruit of the vine in Matthew 26:29 4 cups of wine is shared at Seder meal. Verse 26:2 says in 2 days is feast of Passover and that is when the Son of Man is betrayed to be crucified. Verse 19 says they made ready the Passover.

So it was Passover week (7 days) first and last are holy days no work. Believe it was the following morning they came for Jesus because 26:45 they were resting and he says rise in verse 46 and Judas betrayed him so it is during Passover week. Another day third day of Passover Matthew 27 then darkness fell verse 45 it was at night he died on 3rd night of Passover week. His appearance is probably Sabbath of Passover week in my opinion
Yes, his death and resurrection took place during Passover week.

Are you not able, however, to determine which day of the ordinary week he died, and which day of the ordinary week he rose again?

rstrats
Scholar

Post #102

Post by rstrats »

Yahwehismywitness,
re: "...it was at night he died..."

What scripture says that?

Also, you have a question directed to you in post #99.

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #103

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

[Replying to post 102 by rstrats]

Matthew 27:45-46 Now from the 6th hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. It was about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #104

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Are you not able, however, to determine which day of the ordinary week he died, and which day of the ordinary week he rose again?
I am not trying to it is sufficient for me to know and keep Passover

Tcg
Savant

Post #105

Post by Tcg »

Yahwehismywitness wrote: [Replying to post 102 by rstrats]

Matthew 27:45-46 Now from the 6th hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. It was about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice
That is referring to the 6th hour of the day which would equate roughly to noon. The ninth hour would equate roughly to 3 in the afternoon.

As can be seen in verse 57, evening came after the unusual event of darkness during midday described in 45-46:
  • When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus.
From Wikipedia:

Relative hour

Jewish tradition

The conventional Jewish way of calibrating the time of day is to reckon the "first hour" of the day with the rise of dawn (Hebrew: עמוד השחר), that is to say, approximately 72 minutes before sunrise,[11] and the end of the day commencing shortly after sunset when the first three medium-size stars have appeared in the night sky.[12] From the moment of sunset when the sun is no longer visible until the appearance of the first three medium-size stars is a unit of time called evening twilight (Hebrew: בין השמשות).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_hour

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #106

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 amCompare Luke 22:1

So, you're now actually changing the content of two-year-old debate comments that were already responded to? Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of debate to post a new response with the extra content you just thought of rather than slipping it back in where you wish you'd said it earlier?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

tam
Savant

Re: Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #107

Post by tam »

Peace to you both,
Difflugia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:45 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 amCompare Luke 22:1

So, you're now actually changing the content of two-year-old debate comments that were already responded to? Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of debate to post a new response with the extra content you just thought of rather than slipping it back in where you wish you'd said it earlier?
Or at least make a note of what you edited. Though a new response, noting that you are adding the extra content to the post in question, does give others the opportunity to see what is new and respond (if need be).

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)