Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The question is whether the Sabbath which came the next day was a Saturday Sabbath or the Passover Sabbath or both. I believe that all the evidence is unanimous that Jesus was crucufied on the day before the Passover. Matthew confirms this, as in Matthew 27:62 he says that the day after the crucifixion was the "one after Preparation Day" (ie preparation day for the Passover.

And John has no Eucharist account at the last supper.

rstrats
Scholar

Re: Was Jesus crucified on the Passover, of earlier?

Post #71

Post by rstrats »

JehovahsWitness,
re: "Was there something in my post explaining our take on that that you didnt understand?"

Your Jewish Encyclopedia reference is not appropriate since it only deals with the practice of counting any part of a calendar day as a calendar day, i.e., that "three days and three nights" didn't have to include 72 hours. It says nothing about not having to include at least a portion of each one of three daytimes and at least a portion of each one of three night times.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #72

Post by JehovahsWitness »

rstrats wrote: JehovahsWitness,
re: "Was there something in my post explaining our take on that that you didnt understand?"

Your Jewish Encyclopedia reference is not appropriate since it only deals with the practice of counting any part of a calendar day as a calendar day, i.e., that "three days and three nights" didn't have to include 72 hours. It says nothing about not having to include at least a portion of each one of three daytimes and at least a portion of each one of three night times.

Does a "calender day" not include the night*? If Jesus was dead three idiomatic "days and nights" (as opposed to literally 72 hours) then any part of the day* would include its accompanying hours of darkness (night).

In the middle of the night, on a Thusday at 1 am...what day is it?
* A day should not be confused with "daylight hours" , ie its still Wednesday even in the night (English is arguably equally idiomatic since we call refer to the period of darkness before sunrise as "morning"). So Jesus didnt have to be dead though the duration of three periods of darkness only for any portion of the thee consecutive calender days.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rstrats
Scholar

Post #73

Post by rstrats »

JehovahsWitness,
re: "Does a 'calender day' not include the night*?"

According to your Jewish Encyclopedia reference it doesn't have to.

re: "If Jesus was dead three idiomatic 'days and nights' (as opposed to literally 72 hours) then any part of the day* would include its accompanying hours of darkness (night)."

So does that mean that if someone said that they would be gone for 1 day and 1 night that that didn't necessarily have to mean that at least a part of 1 daytime and at least a part of 1 night time would be involved?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #74

rstrats wrote: JehovahsWitness,
re: "Does a 'calender day' not include the night*?"

According to your Jewish Encyclopedia reference it doesn't have to.

Exactly.

(Why do you keep calling it my Jewish Encyclopedia? I don't own it and I didnt publish it)

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

rstrats
Scholar

Post #75

Post by rstrats »

JehovahsWitness,
re: "Exactly."

What is your point with regard to your comment: "We believe Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday."?

re: "Why do you keep calling it my Jewish Encyclopedia?"

I haven't. I called it your reference to the Jewish Encyclopedia.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #76

rstrats wrote:
What is your point with regard to your comment: "We believe Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday."?

Just to answer the question asked of me.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 62#1002862

Checkpoint asked what day I think Jesus died.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #77

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 35 by rstrats]

sorry, been a bit busy of late.
How do you reconcile a 4th day of the week death with Luke 24:21?
Days are 24 hours, and in the Bible, if one is so inclined, they run from sunset to sunset. He rose out of death at sunset, just as the priests were harvesting their wave sheaf and lifting it up to heaven. It is done between the two evenings, as the sun is set. Once the omer, or sheaf is cut it is waved or lifted up to heaven.

Soj

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #78

Post by Checkpoint »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: [Replying to post 35 by rstrats]

sorry, been a bit busy of late.
How do you reconcile a 4th day of the week death with Luke 24:21?
Days are 24 hours, and in the Bible, if one is so inclined, they run from sunset to sunset. He rose out of death at sunset, just as the priests were harvesting their wave sheaf and lifting it up to heaven. It is done between the two evenings, as the sun is set. Once the omer, or sheaf is cut it is waved or lifted up to heaven.

Soj
So, as you understand it to be, on what day of the week did he die, and on which day of the week did he rise?

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #79

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 37 by JehovahsWitness]
Are you suggesting Jesus was dead three nights? If so how could he be resurrected on the third day as predicted? Wouldnt the third night take him into the 4th day?
Are you suggesting that He was not?

Soj

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #80

Sojournerofthearth wrote: [Replying to post 37 by JehovahsWitness]
Are you suggesting Jesus was dead three nights? If so how could he be resurrected on the third day as predicted? Wouldnt the third night take him into the 4th day?
Are you suggesting that He was not?

Soj

Not nights as in he was literally dead during three seperate periods of darkness no.

JW