Church or Club?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Church or Club?

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

It's Sunday. We see many people going to church. Once there, they socialize, sing, laugh, eat, cry...compare hats, ask where he bought that blazer.

But are they there for the right reasons?

It seems, in many churches these days, it's more of a social club than a place of worship.

I've been to churches where people literally in front of me were talking bad (gossiping) about the people a few pews away.
I've seen people 'hit on' others for dates.
I've seen people cursing immediately afterwards (or before) service. I see people singing their hearts out for 1½ hours or so, but later, you wouldn't be able to tell they were Christian much less part of a church once the service is over.

To be fair, I've also seen much love and compassion. But it seems this is the exception many times more than the rule.

It makes me wonder: are churches today more of a social gathering and less of a place of worship?

What's your opinion?
What's your experience?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #41

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 40 by Menotu]

Well if you had a bad experience with one Jehovahs witnesses I dont think should prejudiced you against the whole. Its like if someone is mugged by a black man deciding that all black people are violent. We're not perfect and we are all at different stages in our spiritual development.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Thomas123
Sage

Post #42

Post by Thomas123 »

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.�

This snippet of John expresses an approximate of what my expectations would be for an atmosphere appropriate for a house of worship. It is hard to enforce absolutes in human behaviour but can these gatherings really accommodate all that there is between sham and devotion.

I know a girl who works on the meat counter at my local shop adjacent to the Chapel.She told me that she dreads when Mass is over because of the caustic rudness of some of the congregation to her, as they buy meat on their way home. How does that work?

Many of the artificial constraints on behaviour at these events have largely disappeared, including social coercion and authority but for me it is simpler than that.

Children behave well in well run schools where education is a non negotiable mantra.Well behaved children misbehave in weaker schools where the process of learning has not been delivered properly. Many religions today fail to define clearly what they are really about and ,as a result, their gatherings and their buildings have indeed become..clubs for a chat.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Church or Club?

Post #43

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Menotu]

There is no other way! If a better church is found then all good for you. Best wishes, even. All (Christian) churches are conducted according to the Bible therefore they are supposed to be Churches of the Bible without exception!

To be clear, "Atheism" will never be an alternative for obvious reasons!

The way to Utopia is given by moral people and they are, with no reservation, "white list" religious people, i.e., Abrahamic religions and Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc.

Therefore, further, they are probably there for the right reasons, less or more hypocrisy. There are "few" saints in the World, but if they exist at all, they are there with the proper religions!

(Music, "Keep the Faith" by Bon Jovi, youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZQyVUTcpM4.)

:study: :D 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Menotu
Sage

Post #44

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 43 by Aetixintro]
All (Christian) churches are conducted according to the Bible
That an opinion or fact?
I wonder why, then, do so many of the churches, using the same bible worshiping the same god, have so many different views, adamant they are the correct ones, not the other churches?
Did someone say it would?
The way to Utopia is given by moral people and they are, with no reservation, "white list" religious people, i.e., Abrahamic religions and Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc.
This would, it seems, include the priests that molested young children...? That's not a Utopia I want any part in, thanks. But for those who do, by all means have at it. And good luck to you

onewithhim
Savant

Post #45

Post by onewithhim »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 43 by Aetixintro]
That an opinion or fact?
I wonder why, then, do so many of the churches, using the same bible worshiping the same god, have so many different views, adamant they are the correct ones, not the other churches?
This would, it seems, include the priests that molested young children...? That's not a Utopia I want any part in, thanks. But for those who do, by all means have at it. And good luck to you
I would say that there are many churches that CLAIM to be Christian but they belie that by their actual actions. They are SUPPOSED to conduct themselves according to the Bible, but they do not.

Menotu
Sage

Post #46

Post by Menotu »

onewithhim wrote:
Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 43 by Aetixintro]
That an opinion or fact?
I would say that there are many churches that CLAIM to be Christian but they belie that by their actual actions. They are SUPPOSED to conduct themselves according to the Bible, but they do not.

Seems that would be a reasonable assumption, for both churches and people. But then again, who decides if how these churches (or people) conduct themselves are wrong or right?
After all, they almost always, have legitimate scripture to support their POV

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Menotu wrote:Seems that would be a reasonable assumption, for both churches and people. But then again, who decides if how these churches (or people) conduct themselves are wrong or right?
After all, they almost always, have legitimate scripture to support their POV

That would be God. He decides if worship is acceptable to Him or not.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rovalin

Post #48

Post by rovalin »

You don't have to judge them all and put them in the same pot if you've met a few cases of these. Indeed, it is not typical for people in the church to gossip, but socializing is normal. After all, the church must unite people, make them friends, and bring understanding between them. It is impressive when a holy place creates friendships with the same ideals. I recently visited a pentacostal church, and it was a pleasure to talk to the people there, to feel the warmth of their words and eyes.
Last edited by rovalin on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by nobspeople »

Menotu wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 am It's Sunday. We see many people going to church. Once there, they socialize, sing, laugh, eat, cry...compare hats, ask where he bought that blazer.

But are they there for the right reasons?

It seems, in many churches these days, it's more of a social club than a place of worship.

I've been to churches where people literally in front of me were talking bad (gossiping) about the people a few pews away.
I've seen people 'hit on' others for dates.
I've seen people cursing immediately afterwards (or before) service. I see people singing their hearts out for 1½ hours or so, but later, you wouldn't be able to tell they were Christian much less part of a church once the service is over.

To be fair, I've also seen much love and compassion. But it seems this is the exception many times more than the rule.

It makes me wonder: are churches today more of a social gathering and less of a place of worship?

What's your opinion?
What's your experience?
While I don't doubt there are those there for the right reasons, it seems many or maybe even most are there just to socialize. Which is good, in a way.
Outside of special circumstance, that would be the only reason I'd go back.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #50

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Menotu in post #1]
I believe that churches are more of a social club than a place of sincere worship. Sure, there are sincere people, but I think they are a very small minority. I don't even think that most pastors are heading up pure worship. They tickle the ears of their flocks and tell them what they want to hear. Then they pass the plate (or basket).