Church or Club?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Church or Club?

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

It's Sunday. We see many people going to church. Once there, they socialize, sing, laugh, eat, cry...compare hats, ask where he bought that blazer.

But are they there for the right reasons?

It seems, in many churches these days, it's more of a social club than a place of worship.

I've been to churches where people literally in front of me were talking bad (gossiping) about the people a few pews away.
I've seen people 'hit on' others for dates.
I've seen people cursing immediately afterwards (or before) service. I see people singing their hearts out for 1½ hours or so, but later, you wouldn't be able to tell they were Christian much less part of a church once the service is over.

To be fair, I've also seen much love and compassion. But it seems this is the exception many times more than the rule.

It makes me wonder: are churches today more of a social gathering and less of a place of worship?

What's your opinion?
What's your experience?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Church or Club?

Post #51

Post by brunumb »

If it is just about worship then churches are really unnecessary. You worship God every moment by sincerely trying to be the kind of person God wants you to be.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #52

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Menotu wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 am
What's your experience?

My own experience as one of Jehovahs Witnesses is not a club... a family compare (Prov 17:17)
1 TIMOTHY 5:1, 2

To the contrary, entreat him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters with all chasteness.”
As a Christian I live my faith, 7 days a week and love my Christian brothers and sisters as family because we have the same Father and follow the same King.

JW

RELATEDPOSTS

Do Jehovah's Witnesses "love their neighbours"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 07#p967107

Do Jehovahs Witnesses enjoy racial unity?
viewtopic.php?p=798748#p798748
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOVE, HATE and ...POLITICAL INVOLVEMENT
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #53

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 am
Menotu wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 am
What's your experience?

My own experience as one of Jehovahs Witnesses is not a club... a family compare (Prov 17:17)
1 TIMOTHY 5:1, 2

To the contrary, entreat him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters with all chasteness.”
As a Christian I live my faith, 7 days a week and love my Christian brothers and sisters as family because we have the same Father and follow the same King.

JW

RELATEDPOSTS

Do Jehovah's Witnesses "love their neighbours"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 07#p967107

Do Jehovahs Witnesses enjoy racial unity?
viewtopic.php?p=798748#p798748

LOVE, HATE and ...POLITICAL INVOLVEMENT
What does that mean? "I live my faith". What is your faith, and how do you live it 7 days a week, and how and who do define as your "Christian brothers and sisters. Would Joe Biden, a professed Catholic, be your brother? Is he part of your "family"?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #54

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pmWhat is your faith...?
My faith is belief in Jehovah as the souvereign of the universe and my worship of him as such.

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pm
What does that mean? "I live my faith".
It means I allow bible law and principles to effect my actions, thoughts and decisions every day of the week. That my faith in God and His Word is an integral part if who I am.

... how do you live it 7 days a week ...?

See above.

... how and who do define as your "Christian brothers and sisters.
Fellow worshippers of Jehovah God: ie all baptised and dedicated Jehovah's Witnesses.

... Would Joe Biden, a professed Catholic, be your brother? Is he part of your "family"?

No.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #55

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:59 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57 pmWhat is your faith...?
My faith is belief in Jehovah as the souvereign of the universe and my worship of him as such.

What does that mean? "I live my faith".
It means I allow bible law and principles to effect my actions, thoughts and decisions every day of the week. That my faith in God and His Word is an integral part if who I am.

... how do you live it 7 days a week ...?

See above.

... how and who do define as your "Christian brothers and sisters.
Fellow worshippers of Jehovah God: ie all baptised and dedicated Jehovah's Witnesses.

... Would Joe Biden, a professed Catholic, be your brother? Is he part of your "family"?

No.
And which "bible" law "effect" your actions? Is it the Law set down by "Jehovah", or the "new" laws/doctrine, set down by unknown writers of the NT (writer of Hebrews), and the self professed apostle Paul, and his minions? As the letter J, as in "Jehovah", wasn't invented until around the 16th century, is that the date of Jehovah's birth? And what is the manifestations of your "baptism", that can be seen by the public in general? Since you apparently are "baptized", are you "bon of God", and therefore "cannot sin" (1 John 3:9), or does grace increase the more you sin? (Romans 5:20) Do Muslim's, and "Christians", "worship" Jehovah/Allah/God as sovereign of the universe, and "worship" him in their own man made practices? Why aren't they your brothers?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #56

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 am
And which "bible" law "effect" your actions?

Those to which I subjects myself at my baptism as a Christian, namely those set out in the Christian Greek scriptures of the bible canon.
As the letter J, as in "Jehovah", wasn't invented until around the 16th century, is that the date of Jehovah's birth?
No more than a man of 30 with than English name John was born in the 16th century because of the letter J.

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE DIVINE NAME , PRONUNCIATION and ...NWT
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #57

... what is the manifestations of your "baptism", that can be seen by the public in general?

My baptism itself was a public manifestation of my personal dedication. My life as a dedicated Christian is hopefully evident to those that know me. If not then I am happy to be judged by He that is qualified to do so.
... Since you apparently are "baptized", are you "bon of God", and therefore "cannot sin" (1 John 3:9), or does grace increase the more you sin? (Romans 5:20)

I find it best to ask someone what they believe before making presumtions that may seem apparent to you but are in fact considered inaccurate by someone else . I don't believe I cannot sin.

SIN , DEATH and ...DEDICATION & BAPTISM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #58

... Do Muslim's, and "Christians", "worship" Jehovah/Allah/God as sovereign of the universe, and "worship" him in their own man made practices? Why aren't they your brothers?

I can only state my beliefs on this point ... I dont believe Jehovah is the same God worshipped by all the Abrahamic groups, denominations and religions and I believe presently ONLY Jehovah's Witnesses worship the souvereign of the universe.

Why aren't they your brothers?

See above.
To read more please go to other posts related to POSTS RELATED to ...

RELIGION, CHRISTIANITY and ...JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #59

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:34 pm
... what is the manifestations of your "baptism", that can be seen by the public in general?

My baptism itself was a public manifestation of my personal dedication. My life as a dedicated Christian is hopefully evident to those that know me. If not then I am happy to be judged by He that is qualified to do so.
... Since you apparently are "baptized", are you "bon of God", and therefore "cannot sin" (1 John 3:9), or does grace increase the more you sin? (Romans 5:20)

I find it best to ask someone what they believe before making presumtions that may seem apparent to you but are in fact considered inaccurate by someone else . I don't believe I cannot sin.

SIN , DEATH and ...DEDICATION & BAPTISM
Apparently, the shepherds, especially the fat shepherds, who eat the fat of the sheep, and who do not feed or heal the flock, will be fed judgment, and the Lord God, will judge between the sheep, and will set My servant David over them. (Ezekiel 34). I think that you have neither healed, nor sought the lost, for so called Christians would be numbered among the lost.

Per 1 John 3:9, if you continue to sin, you are not "born of God", and are separated from God by virtue of sin. That would put you in tandem with the others who call themselves "Christian", and apparently "profaned" my holy name (Ezekiel 36:20). If one repents, confesses their sin, and born in the spirit, and produces good fruit, they will escape the coming "fire" (Matthew 3). If one returns to sin, they are cut off from God. Keep in mind, that the "brood of vipers" repented of sin and were baptized in water, but warned of the fire to come with out them producing "good fruit". Sin is defined as transgression of the Law. I think you are treading on thin ice.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #60

Post by onewithhim »

brunumb wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:40 pm If it is just about worship then churches are really unnecessary. You worship God every moment by sincerely trying to be the kind of person God wants you to be.
That is true....we LIVE our worship. But the Scriptures indicate that God wants us to gather ourselves together "to incite each other to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near." (Hebrews 10:24,25)