Does Ralph receive divine knowledge from Christ?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Does Ralph receive divine knowledge from Christ?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Galatians 1.(Paul)

"11 Now I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel preached by me is not of human origin. 12For I did not receive it from a human being, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ."

My friend Ralph, who fell off his bicycle and hit his head on the way to Damascus (Oregon), makes the same claim.

He says he has divine knowledge with he gets straight from Jesus Christ.

If we believe Paul, shouldn't we believe Ralph too?

If not, exactly why not? :-s

onewithhim
Savant

Re: What happened to the other Jesus?

Post #31

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 30 by polonius]

One date HAS to be in error. A person can't have two birth dates. I personally suspect that the dates were averaged off and that's where we get the start of Anno Domini. Actually, I don't care. I know that the Scriptures prophesied that the Messiah would show up at a particular time (per the book of Daniel), and he did.

polonius
Prodigy

Where did Paul get his facts?

Post #32

Post by polonius »

Paul admitted:

"For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ (Gal. 1:11-12)."

That's what my friend Ralph says too. Shouldn't we believe him?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by polonius »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 30 by polonius]

One date HAS to be in error. A person can't have two birth dates. I personally suspect that the dates were averaged off and that's where we get the start of Anno Domini. Actually, I don't care. I know that the Scriptures prophesied that the Messiah would show up at a particular time (per the book of Daniel), and he did.

QUESTION:

Did Jesus fulfil any of the prophecies of the Messiah?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by polonius »

QUESTION

At what particular time? And please cite your reference.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Where did Paul get his facts?

Post #35

Post by onewithhim »

polonius wrote: Paul admitted:

"For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ (Gal. 1:11-12)."

That's what my friend Ralph says too. Shouldn't we believe him?
But Ralph isn't in the Bible. All we need to know is in there. There's nothing else that we need to know---the Scriptures we have tell us what to expect in the very last days, and even what to watch out for to know that the Great Tribulation is very near. "When they are saying 'Peace and security'..." (I Thess. 5:3) Reuters news agency is reporting now that Putin wants to meet with world leaders to discuss Peace and Security. It's important we pay attention to what the Bible says, and learn all we can about what it says about the last days. Don't be caught off-guard.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #36

Post by onewithhim »

polonius wrote:

QUESTION:

Did Jesus fulfil any of the prophecies of the Messiah?
I have already answered that, a few times.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #37

Post by onewithhim »

polonius wrote:

QUESTION

At what particular time? And please cite your reference.
I'll try to make it as understandable as possible. In the 9th chapter of Daniel it speaks of "seventy weeks" to "finish off sin" (which is what Jesus did when he died on the 'cross'). Daniel 9:24,25 tells us what the angel Gabriel said to Daniel.

"There are 70 weeks that have been determined upon your people and upon your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, and to finish off sin, and to make atonement for error, and to bring in righteousness for times indefinite, and to imprint a seal upon vision and prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. And you should know and have the insight that from the going forth of the word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Leader, there will be seven weeks, also 62 weeks. She will return and be actually rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in the straits of the times."

"Messiah the Leader" would appear at a specific time. This would occur within "seventy weeks." The "weeks" are weeks of years. That each week is seven years long is suggested by a number of modern translations. For example, "seventy weeks of years" is a rendering indicated by a footnote on Daniel 9:24 in Tanakh--The Holy Scriptures, published by the Jewish Publication Society. An American Translation reads: "Seventy weeks of years are destined for your people and for your holy city." Similar renderings appear in translations by Moffatt and Rotherham.

According to Gabriel's words, the 70 weeks would be divided into 3 periods: (1) "seven weeks," (2) "62 weeks," and (3) one week. That would be 49 years, 434 years, and 7 years---totaling 490 years. Following their exile and suffering in Babylon for 70 years, the Jews would experience special favor from God for 490 years, or 70 years multiplied by 7. The starting point would be "the going forth of the word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem."

Three noteworthy incidents are to be considered: (1) In 537 B.C. Cyrus issued the decree to restore the Jews to their homeland. (Ezra 1:2-4) The express purpose of this decree was to have the temple--"the house of Jehovah"--rebuilt on its former site. (2) In the 7th year of King Artaxerxes Longimanus, Ezra made a 4-month journey from Babylon to Jerusalem with a letter from the King, to beautify the house of Jehovah. (3) 13 years later, in the 20th year of Artaxerxes, Nehemiah (see Nehemiah 1:1-3; 2:1-3) asked for permission to return to Jerusalem to rebuild it because the walls and gates were still broken down. So the king gave him letters to return and he began his own work on the restoration. Most likely Nehemiah's arrival in Jerusalem occurred near the end of Artaxerxes' 20th years, or in 455 B.C. It is then that the foretold "seventy weeks," or 490 years, began. They would end in the latter part of the year 36 A.D.

Counting 483 years (49 plus 434) from 455 B.C. brings us to 29 A.D. The Scripture tells us that "the people were in expectation" of the Messiah. (Luke 3:1-3,15) Jesus, the Messiah, appeared exactly on time---at the end of 69 weeks.

To "finish off sin and make atonement for error," the Messiah had to die. So this would be accomplished during the 70th week. Gabriel said: "After the 62 weeks Messiah will be cut off, with nothing for himself....And he must keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease." (Daniel 9:26a, 27a) The critical time was "at the half of the week," that is, the middle of the last week of years. Jesus' ministry began in the latter part of 29 A.D. and lasted for 3 1/2 years. As prophesied, early in 33 A.D., Christ was "cut off" when he died, giving his human life as a ransom for mankind. (Isaiah 53:8; Matthew 20:28) The need for animal sacrifices and the gift offerings prescribed by the Law ceased when the resurrected Jesus presented himself (and the value of his sacrificed human life) to God in heaven , within the "Holy of Holies," the heavenly sanctuary of God. (Hebrews 9:11,12)

That is the sum and substance of what we can know about the prophecy of Daniel telling of the exact time the Messiah would show up.

(See Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy, 1999, WT Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania, chapter 11.)

Charles
Apprentice

Re: Does Ralph receive divine knowledge from Christ?

Post #38

Post by Charles »

polonius wrote: If we believe Paul, shouldn't we believe Ralph too?

If not, exactly why not?
The Holy Spirit does not attest to the work of Ralph. He does attest to Paul.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by Checkpoint »

Charles wrote:

If not, exactly why not?
How, and/or where, does the Holy Spirit attest to Paul?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #40

Post by brianbbs67 »

Charles wrote:

If not, exactly why not?
God is spirit. James and Peter say so. God is the holy spirit. He has made no mention of Paul or Ralph.