Savant

YHWH

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Y - the hand
H - reveals
W - the nail
H - reveals

How is anyone that believes YHWH is God able to negate the evidence above that YHWH is Jesus?

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/je ... -is-yahweh

YHWH is the name above all names correct?

Philippians 2:9-11 says — Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Anyone want to directly confront both pieces of evidence?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

heistrue
Student

Re: YHWH

Post #211

Post by heistrue »

Wootah wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Y - the hand
H - reveals
W - the nail
H - reveals

How is anyone that believes YHWH is God able to negate the evidence above that YHWH is Jesus?

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/je ... -is-yahweh

YHWH is the name above all names correct?

Philippians 2:9-11 says — Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Anyone want to directly confront both pieces of evidence?
Ph 2:
6 Though he was in the form of God, he did not regard equality with God something to be possessed by force.
7 On the contrary, he emptied himself, in that he took the form of a slave by becoming like human beings are. And when he appeared as a human being,
8 he humbled himself still more by becoming obedient even to death - death on a stake as a criminal!
9 Therefore God raised him to the highest place and gave him the name above every name;
10 that in honor of the name given Yeshua, every knee will bow - in heaven, on earth and under the earth
11 and every tongue will acknowledgeb that Yeshua the Messiah is ADONAI - to the glory of God the Father.

Ps 105: 1 Give thanks to ADONAI! Call on his name! Make his deeds known among the peoples.
2 Sing to him, sing praises to him, talk about all his wonders.
3 Glory in his holy name; let those seeking ADONAI have joyful hearts.
4 Seek ADONAI and his strength; always seek his presence.
5 Remember the wonders he has done, his signs and his spoken rulings.
6 You descendants of Avraham his servant, you offspring of Ya'akov, his chosen ones,
7 he is ADONAI our God! His rulings are everywhere on earth.

Ps 91: 1 You who live in the shelter of 'Elyon, who spend your nights in the shadow of Shaddai,
2 who say to ADONAI, "My refuge! My fortress! My God, in whom I trust!"
3 he will rescue you from the trap of the hunter and from the plague of calamities;
4 he will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his truth is a shield and protection.
5 You will not fear the terrors of night or the arrow that flies by day,
6 or the plague that roams in the dark, or the scourge that wreaks havoc at noon.
7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand; but it won't come near you.
8 Only keep your eyes open, and you will see how the wicked are punished.
9 For you have made ADONAI, the Most High, who is my refuge, your dwelling-place.

well they do say His Name in Prayers and in Scripture and Teaching. Of course, no one should use God - His Name in a bad way of course or for bad reasons.

Gods Word is very much easier to understand when read in the full context. The Jews were afraid to even mention the the word " G?D "

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Re:

Post #212

Post by JehovahsWitness »

heistrue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pm
The JWs for example, say that their " J " stand for Jehovah in spite of the fact that ( the ) Hebrew/Jewish langiage has no " J "...
"Jehovah" isn't Hebrew it's English. I do believe God speaks both languages.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE DIVINE NAME , PRONUNCIATION and ...NWT
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Re:

Post #213

Post by Difflugia »

heistrue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 pmYes, so may I ask, who can verify that there is any " evidence " there in the first place ?
The JWs for example, say that their " J " stand for Jehovah in spite of the fact that ( the ) Hebrew/Jewish langiage has no " J "...
How do you feel about names like "Jeremiah" and "Josiah" in English Bibles?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #214

Post by onewithhim »

Difflugia wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:48 pmTo people who wonder: "Should we use God's Name?"

It's interesting that an article forwarding the 1901 American Standard Version said regarding the propriety of consistently using God's name, Jehovah, and including it in their version:

"We cannot understand how there can be any difference of opinion as to the rightness of this step. This is the Lord's personal name, by which He has elected to be known by His people: the loss suffered by transmuting it into His descriptive title[LORD] seems to us immense. To be sure there are disputes as to the true form of the name, and nobody supposes that 'Jehovah' is that true form. But it has the value of the true form to the English reader; and it would be mere pedantry to substitute for it Yahwe or any of the other forms now used with more or less inaccuracy by scholastic writers. We account it no small gain for the English reader of the Old Testament that he will for the first time in his popular version meet statedly with 'Jehovah' and learn all that 'Jehovah' has been to and done for His people."
I found the quote interesting enough that I used Google to find the source.

I agree with the overall sentiment and that's an important reason that I like the ASV, but the bit you bolded is outdated. I was certainly true in 1901 that the average American reader knew God's name as "Jehovah," but that has become such an anachronism that the logic offered would now actually be an argument against using "Jehovah" in a modern translation. In the last 120 years enough linguistic research has been conducted with enough public awareness that the exact same argument would now apply to "Yahweh." While there is still some uncertainty (various researchers quite plausibly argue for variants as "Yahu," "Yahuwah," or Larry Gonick's tongue-in-cheek suggestion, "Yahoo Wahoo"), the public's perception of God's name matches the majority academic consensus, "Yahweh."

I've been recently trying out the WEB, a public domain update to the ASV to modern English that has updated the ASV's "Jehovah" to "Yahweh." It's growing on me.
OK, Difflugia.....fair enough. The point is---to USE it, whatever the pronunciation. There are MANY ways to say God's name, depending on what language one speaks.
"Yahweh" is quite acceptable, especially saying the "w" like a "V," because the "w" sound didn't exist for the Jews, at least for awhile. I'm not sure about now. But "Yahveh" sounds very nice.

Are you going to use His name, now that you've decided on "Yahweh"?

tam
Savant

Post #215

Post by tam »

Peace to you both!
[Replying to onewithhim in post #215]

... saying the "w" like a "V," because the "w" sound didn't exist for the Jews, at least for awhile. I'm not sure about now. But "Yahveh" sounds very nice.

Yes! Although I spell His Name with a "J" (JAHVEH... think also how HalleluJAH, and the name of His Son Jaheshua), phonetically, the pronunciation of the "J" is with the "Y" (yodh) sound. So that "YAHVEH" is the correct pronunciation. I heard the truth in this the first time I read/spoke/heard it.

Peace again to you both,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

tam
Savant

Post #216

Post by tam »

Peace again to you all,

Just to add, so that some can be a bit more sure, if you are uncertain about the name of God, His name is JAH, pronounced YAH. Hence again, Praise JAH (halleluJAH). His name is also in the name of many prophets.

ELIJAH (my God is JAH)

And His name is of course in the name of His Son (who came in the Name of His Father):

JAHeshua (JAH saves/savior of JAH)

Psalm 68:4 states His name outright:

Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: cast up a highway for him that rideth through the deserts; his name is JAH; and exult ye before him.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #217

Post by Difflugia »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:11 pmAre you going to use His name, now that you've decided on "Yahweh"?
I do all the time. A site search for my posts that include "Yahweh" returns ten pages of hits.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #218

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #218]

You're headed in a positive direction. :D

emilynghiem
Student

Post #219

Post by emilynghiem »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:51 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm Am I right that it is plain to see that Jehovah and Jesus are two different persons? It is evident in Psalm 110:

"The utterance of Jehovah to my Lord [Jesus] is: 'Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.' The rod of your strength Jehovah will send out of Zion, saying: 'Go subduing in the midst of your enemies.'" (Psalm 110:1,2; NWT, Young's Literal Translation, American Standard)

Then at Isaiah 61 we see two separate Persons again:

"The spirit of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah is upon me [Jesus], for the reason that Jehovah has anointed me to tell the good news to the meek ones. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to those taken captive and the wide opening of the eyes even to the prisoners..." (Isaiah 61:1)

Of course there are hundreds of other examples of the Scriptures showing us the difference between Jehovah and Jesus, but even just these two suffice to show us that Jehovah is not Jesus. Does anyone agree?

How does this fail to show that Jesus and Jehovah are two distinct individuals?
Dear @onewithhim
John 10:29-30 shows there is no contradiction between both things being true at once
BOTH God the Father being greater than all including Jesus the Son
AND the Father and Son being one

Where the conflict REALLY is:
1. some people believe in receiving and EMBODYING Jesus in our hearts
and conscience to consecrate our relations to Christ and enforce the laws
by living them directly where we the people become the church body
2. some people believe that Christ Jesus and God's authority remains
outside and directs us without us having a direct connection THROUGH CHRIST

The Jehovah's Witness are like other secular gentiles under natural laws,
and do not believe Christ Jesus gives us this direct relationship.
Instead they and Catholics and others depend on authority of elders
to serve as this facilitator.

That is the biggest difference I find in how people interpret Jesus.

Either you believe that by embodying Jesus as Authority of God's Justice,
then all the people become the church (if this is done through Scriptural law and authority by the Bible)
or all the people become the govt (if this is done through natural laws and authority such through Constitutional laws)

Or you believe people cannot invoke Authority of law equally through Christ Jesus
and rely on some other third party like church or govt leaders to invoke authority on people's behalf

onewithhim
Savant

Post #220

Post by onewithhim »

After all is said and done, it is very plain to see that Jesus and his Father, Jehovah, are two separate Beings. One verse saying they are "one" doesn't cancel out all the others showing that they are two individuals. Also, when Jesus said that he and the Father are "one," he meant, clearly, that they are in agreement. Just as his disciples are "one" with him and the Father (John 17: 21,22).