Savant

YHWH

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Y - the hand
H - reveals
W - the nail
H - reveals

How is anyone that believes YHWH is God able to negate the evidence above that YHWH is Jesus?

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/je ... -is-yahweh

YHWH is the name above all names correct?

Philippians 2:9-11 says — Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Anyone want to directly confront both pieces of evidence?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: YHWH

Post #191

Post by PinSeeker »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am There is not a shred of evidence throughout the Bible of a triune God. I hope some day you will be able to see that.
Sure, well, yes, I know your opinion. It's wrong. Mine is -- and yes, we'll call it my opinion, but it's most assuredly correct -- that every page of the Bible is saturated with evidence of the triune God. I hope some day you will be able to see that, but again, that's a God thing -- the Father's election, according to His will, and the Spirit's effectual call, from which spiritual life and discernment follow, made possible because of the Son's work of atonement on the cross.
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am We DO believe God, that He is ONE individual...
Yes, God the Father is one individual. I've acknowledged that many, many times... <chuckles>
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am ...and, as Jesus said of his Father---He is "the only true God," (John 17:3)...
Yes, but Jesus then, in the same breath, calls on the Father to glorify Him with the glory that He had with the Father before the world existed. Jesus knew very well Isaiah 42:8 (being the Word made flesh after all) that YHVH would not share His glory with another. You think He forgot? :D No... No, He didn't forget. <chuckles> He quoted from Isaiah extensively, you know. So this is yet another acknowledgement of His deity with the Father, as I have said many times. How anyone can deny this is just astonishing, but it is what it is, I guess. Wow.
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am ...and Jesus actually worships his Father as his own God (John 20:17).
Yes, as a man, He surely does, having lain aside for a time His capacity as God the Son for man's sake (Philippians 2).
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am Jesus distinguishes between God and himself. Two different Persons...
Absolutely true; He distinguishes between God the Father, Himself as God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, Who as our Helper teaches us all things and brings to our remembrance all that Jesus, God the Son, has said to us (John 14).
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am ...with the Son taking a subordinate role throughout the Scriptures.
Well, again -- how many times is this? I've lost count -- yes and no. See above. Subordinate in position, especially while on earth as a man, for man's sake, but not subordinate in any sense in deity or eternal glory, blessing, or honor. Since the resurrection, however, He has reassumed His position with the Father in that eternal glory, blessing, and honor, and one day all of creation will again acknowledge that and glorify Father and Son (and Spirit, too) -- YHVH -- as it was... we were... created to do:
"I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear." (God the Father, Isaiah 45:23, and Paul quotes this in Romans 14:11)

"...at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth." (Paul, Philippians 2:10)
onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:08 am It's very clear to those who have eyes of discernment.
I agree. Like I said, I hope one day you have them. Why you don't is beyond me, but again, that's a God thing.

Okay, that's enough. Or should be, anyway... :D Grace and peace to you.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #192

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #191]

I think you miss the point that God doesn't share His glory with any other "god," and there are many gods worshipped by humans (I Corinthians 8:5). Jesus is not a false god such as the pagan nations worship. Jesus is given glory by God (notice: GIVEN; if Jesus were equal to God he would not be given glory, he would already have it), and because Jesus is an obedient Son of God, always doing the will of God. Giving Jesus glory does not detract from God's own glory. In fact, Jesus' disciples were to be given glory as well (John 17:22). Does this take away some of God's own glory? No. But giving glory to any of the nations' gods WOULD. The nations glorify their gods and ignore the true God, which is seriously detrimental to them, since Jehovah brooks no competition as God.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #193

Post by PinSeeker »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:34 am I think you miss the point that God doesn't share His glory...
Fair enough, but I know -- because it's obvious -- that the Watchtower Society, in its strident effort to shape Scripture to its preconceived narrative, misconstrues that point very purposefully and egregiously. Scripture -- God's Word -- should shape our beliefs rather than the other way around.

Grace and peace to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #194

Post by JehovahsWitness »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am
onewithhim wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:34 am I think you miss the point that God doesn't share His glory...
Fair enough, but I know -- because it's obvious -- that the Watchtower Society, in its strident effort to shape Scripture to its preconceived narrative, misconstrues that point very purposefully and egregiously. Scripture -- God's Word -- should shape our beliefs rather than the other way around.

Grace and peace to you.
I know that -- because it's obvious -- your strident effort to shape Scripture to a pagaistic preconceived narrative, misconstrue scripture . Scripture -- God's Word -- should shape our beliefs rather than the other way around. This is why all Jehovah's Witnesses choose to believe Jesus rather than the pagan lies that contradict his clear and explicit statement that he is God's son.
" I said, I am God's SON [...]" (John 10: 36)
- - Jesus Christ

Grace and peace , joy and blessing be with you and all you love and cherish, and maynthe sun smile down on you each day,

JW

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... y-trinity/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #195

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:55 am I know that you in your strident effort to shape Scripture to your preconceived narrative, misconstrues that point very purposefully and egregiously. Scripture -- God's Word -- should shape our beliefs rather than the other way around.
You're welcome to your opinion, strident as it may be. You know, as if you needed my approval or something... :)
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:55 am Ali Jehovah's Witnesses choose to believe Jesus rather than the pagan lies that contradict his clear and explicit statement that he is God's son.
At least we all believe we should believe Jesus... and that His all statements are clear and explicit. But Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong nevertheless. Christ Jesus is most assuredly God's Son... and as such, the second Person of the triune YWVH. Hallelu-JAH. Praise the Lord.

Grace and peace to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #196

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:58 am [
You're welcome to your opinion, strident as it may be.
And you are welcome to yours no matter how inaccurate and scripturally god dishonouring they may be.

Grace and peace , joy and blessing be with you and all you love and cherish, and may the sun smile joyfully down on you each day as you bask in the kindesses of a thousand wonders,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #197

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:08 pm
PinSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:58 am [
You're welcome to your opinion, strident as it may be.
And you are welcome to yours no matter how putrid and scripturally god dishonouring they may be.

Grace and peace , joy and blessing be with you and all you love and cherish, and may the sun smile joyfully down on you each day as you bask in the kindesses of a thousand wonders,

JW
Wow. Such bitterness. That's not, um, included in the fruit of the Spirit, you know. Funny that you say 'dishonoring,' though, because as we read in Revelation 5:
  • “Worthy is the Lamb Who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" And "...every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea..." will one day join as one, saying, "to Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” (5:12-13)
Yes, YHVH will not share His glory with another. It is His and His alone, all three Persons of Him. So not acknowledging the honor due the Son (and the Spirit) -- and thusly dishonoring the Father in this way -- is surely a Watchtower failing. One day it will be corrected, though, so thanks be to God for that.

Grace and peace to you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #198

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:26 pm ....all three Persons of Him.

Okay, calm down, no need to get so upset. Yes, I understand your "all three" dogma. , I see you hold it dear, I meant no offense.

Perhaps it's best we end the conversation here. But before I go I would just like to say...

Grace and peace , joy and blessing be with you and all you love and cherish. May the sun smile joyfully down on you each day as you bask in the kindesses of a thousand wonders, may the road rise to meet your feet and may every face be friendly as you continue in goodness in all your ways,

JW

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #199

Post by PinSeeker »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm Okay, calm down, no need to get so upset.
LOL! I guess that is a good way to hide your bitterness and upset -- or try, anyway -- by portraying the other person as "upset." Funny. :D
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm Yes, I understand your "all three" dogma. [/color], I see you hold it dear, I meant no offense.
Sure you do. Well, sort of, but not really, and that's very intentional. At any rate, I understand your denial, and why you cling to it and your dogma so tenuously. Sure. No offense taken. Although that's funny, too: "Hey, no offense intended, but let me try to offend you with my "apology." LOL! :D
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm Perhaps it's best we end the conversation here.
Suit yourself, my friend.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm But before I go I would just like to say...
Ah yes! Let you get in one last parting shot. Sure. Let 'er rip... :D
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm Grace and peace , joy and blessing be with you and all you love and cherish. May the sun smile joyfully down on you each day as you bask in the kindesses of a thousand wonders, may the road rise to meet your feet and may every face be friendly as you continue in goodness in all your ways.
That's quite... effusive... :) That rings very hollow in this particular setting. But yes, grace and peace to you (and anyone else) all the same.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #200

Post by onewithhim »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am

Grace and peace to you.
That is a below-the-belt comment and doesn't address in a helpful manner the post I wrote. You didn't take into consideration what I was saying. I did not twist any scriptures, and the WT Society never does either. It is the only group I have seen that DOES NOT "shape Scripture to its preconceived narrative." I explained how God could give Jesus glory without taking away any glory from Himself. Yet you cannot allow yourself to try and understand my point. You have no further comment except, in effect, "you're wrong, and the WTS is nefarious?"