It seems like Luke thought Jesus was God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

I found this interesting.

https://scottmsullivan.com/a-proof-for- ... of-luke-so...
Now, here’s the interesting part: the word that Luke uses for “worship� is the Greek term “π�οσκυνήσαντες� (proskunesantes).

I know what you’re saying “John, this all Greek to me. Why is this important?� (Ha… I’m funny….right?)

Anyway, the root of the word for “worship� in Luke 24:52 is π�οσκυνέω (proskuneo) and unlike the other Gospels, Luke hardly uses this word at all.

In fact, he uses it in only one other passage in his whole Gospel.

The only other place that Luke employs this particular Greek term is in Luke 4:7-8 when Satan offer Christ every kingdom of the world under one condition:

“If you, then, will worship me (π�οσκυνήσῃς (proskynēsēs), it shall all be yours� and Jesus answered him � it is written, ‘you shall worship (Π�οσκυνήσεις Proskynēseis) the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve. (Deut. 4:5)�

Luke’s highly selective use of the term proskuneo in the early chapters of the Gospel give give it a definition so that it ought to be taken to say that God alone is worthy of proskuneo (Luke 4:8). But the disciples offer Jesus proskuneo and connects it with their worship in the Temple where they “glorify God.�

Links to see the actual Greek.
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/luke/4-7.htm
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/luke/24-52.htm

Setting aside our dogma and theology and just reading the text it really does look like the worship Satan wanted from Jesus was given to Jesus by the disciples.

Anyone want to still disagree that Luke thought Jesus was God (based upon the evidence in the text)?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Re: It seems like Luke thought Jesus was God.

Post #41

Post by WeSee »

[Replying to post 38 by tigger2]

None of this addresses the content of my post, yet it is shown as a reply to my post. You made no attempt whatsoever to relate it to the content of my post.

From what I gather from searching Google, you've posted this same content on numerous sites.

As such, how can this be taken as anything other than spam?

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]

Quote:
LUKE 4:6 - Christian Standard Bible
The devil said to him, "I will give you their splendor and all this authority, because it has been given over to me, and I can give it to anyone I want.

How logical then is it to assume that the writer wants us to believe that Satan would try and offer GOD something he (Satan) only has because God permits it. That would be like borrowing 5 dollars from someone and then trying to bribe them with their own five dollars (which you both know he can take back at any time). And that when that person is a billionaire and doesnt need the money

Writers usually write to communicate an idea and this episode was clearly that Satan had something that the person he was speaking to (Jesus) either did not have or had no right to. All this then is totally inconsistent with the a conclusion that the writer was trying to depict Jesus as the God of his gospel.

One doesn't attempt to bribe someone with something they already own
Joh_18:36  Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Why is that... that His Kingdom is NOT OF THIS WORLD? Because His Kingdom is one that cannot be removed, one with foundations whose builder and maker is God as opposed to this world whose present foundations were established in sin.

This is not the Eternal God's world. The god of this world is Satan. It is his world. It was his to offer. Christ, the second Adam was here, among other things, as the son of man to do what the first Adam failed to do, which was to prevail by refusing to obey Satan, and thus become his servant, as the rest of mankind (because to whomever you serve, you become their slave, whether in obedience to righteousness or succumbing to sin and death).

Christ established his authority over Satan by resisting the offer made to him, (the same offer made to Adam) and thus establishing the Kingdom of God's throne on this Earth, fulfilling His role as the Son of man and the Son of God, to rule over this new world replacing the present regime as the One, whose right it is. And as such, when the time comes for him to establish His throne on this Earth, it will not be established by men or by angels, but by The God or YHVH of Heaven.

Soj

Wootah
Savant

Post #43

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 38 by tigger2]

Hi Tigger - please address the topic and use your own words to ideally 1) strong man the issue and 2) then explain your thoughts.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Post #44

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

Peace to you, Wootah, and thank you for pointing this thread out to me. I had seen it earlier, but I had not commented, since responding feels more like me trying to disprove something that the author has failed to prove to begin with. It is up to the author to make his case and he has not done so. Assigning a belief to someone solely based upon their choice of a word - a word which has a broad range of meanings - this is not enough to tell us what Luke believed (nor is this enough to even tell us what is true).

The best person to turn to for the truth on this (or any) matter is Christ of course - who did (and does) HE say He is? We have had this conversation before so I won't go into it again (but I will see if I can find some of those previous discussions and link them here).

Peace again to you and to your household,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #45

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

Peace to you, Wootah, and thank you for pointing this thread out to me. I had seen it earlier, but I had not commented, since responding feels more like me trying to disprove something that the author has failed to prove to begin with. It is up to the author to make his case and he has not done so. Assigning a belief to someone solely based upon their choice of a word - a word which has a broad range of meanings - this is not enough to tell us what Luke believed (nor is this enough to even tell us what is true).

The best person to turn to for the truth on this (or any) matter is Christ of course - who did (and does) HE say He is? We have had this conversation before so I won't go into it again (but I will see if I can find some of those previous discussions and link them here).

Peace again to you and to your household,
tammy
How does that relate to the topic? Read it again, strong man the argument and then knock it down or allow it to be a possibility against your beliefs.

tam
Savant

Post #46

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 44 by Wootah]

I don't know what else you want me to say?

Luke using the word in a certain way in one (or more) passages, does not mean that he has defined the word to always mean exactly that. The word for worship has a broad range of meanings, so this textual 'evidence' is not proof of anything. If I did not know that the word has a broad range of meanings... and if I did not have any other context that disproves the OP claim... then I could accept that Luke might be suggesting that Christ was God (to be worshiped as only God is worshiped).

I would need more information in order to draw a conclusion though. (And that additional information - including my Lord's teaching - does not support the author's conclusion in the OP).

Peace again to you,
tammy

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by PinSeeker »

tam wrote: [Replying to post 44 by Wootah]

Luke using the word in a certain way in one (or more) passages, does not mean that he has defined the word to always mean exactly that. The word for worship has a broad range of meanings, so this textual 'evidence' is not proof of anything. If I did not know that the word has a broad range of meanings... and if I did not have any other context that disproves the OP claim... then I could accept that Luke might be suggesting that Christ was God (to be worshiped as only God is worshiped).

I would need more information in order to draw a conclusion though. (And that additional information - including my Lord's teaching - does not support the author's conclusion in the OP).

Peace again to you,
tammy
I think what Wootah is saying, Tam -- and he may have already said this, but I haven't really been following this conversation closely -- is that whether or not the word used there by Luke for 'worship' has a broad range of meanings, the facts are thus:
  • 1. Luke only uses the word twice, the first in quoting Jesus citing Deuteronomy in reference to God (the Father) being the only one worthy of worship, and the second another quote from this same Jesus in reference to Himself that He alone is worthy of the same form of worship.

2. Even though it is Luke who is the author of his own gospel, God is the ultimate Author, as we understand 2 Timothy 3:16-17. So really, it is God Himself Who pointedly uses the same term in reference to both Himself and Jesus.
So the "broad range of meanings" argument holds no water. I think we would all agree on the word as it is used in Deuteronomy. And the fact that Jesus uses the exact same word in reference to Himself -- whether it has a broad range of meanings or not -- is meant (again, temporally by Luke but ultimately by God via the Holy Spirit through Luke) in the same way, conveying the same meaning. When it comes to God, there is no such thing as coincidence, there is no such thing as inconsistency, and there is no such thing as contradiction. So the author of the article Wootah referenced makes an excellent observation and an excellent point by any sort of logical criteria.

With that in mind, he's asking you to substantially refute that observation, that point. And in my opinion, at least -- which I realize has no value to you, at least on this subject -- that's an impossible task.

Grace and peace to you, Tammy.

Grace and peace to you.

tam
Savant

Post #48

Post by tam »

Peace to you, and thank you for trying to help.
PinSeeker wrote:
tam wrote: [Replying to post 44 by Wootah]

Peace again to you,
tammy
I think what Wootah is saying, Tam -- and he may have already said this, but I haven't really been following this conversation closely -- is that whether or not the word used there by Luke for 'worship' has a broad range of meanings, the facts are thus:
  • 1. Luke only uses the word twice, the first in quoting Jesus citing Deuteronomy in reference to God (the Father) being the only one worthy of worship, and the second another quote from this same Jesus in reference to Himself that He alone is worthy of the same form of worship.
Yes, I think I understand what Wootah is saying, but just because Luke used it one way here, does not mean he must have used it the exact same way in another place. Sometimes translating from one language to another (and another) causes the nuances of a word to be lost.

(Also, what same quote from Christ are you referring to where He claims Himself alone as worthy of that same form of worship?)
2. Even though it is Luke who is the author of his own gospel, God is the ultimate Author, as we understand 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
This is another conversation (and I don't think it would matter in this case), but... Luke is not part of the scripture being referenced in 2 Timothy. The book of Luke is not 'inspired'. Luke did not receive his writing 'in the spirit'. He investigated and interviewed witnesses that came before him in order to write an orderly account for a certain person. He states this himself. The prophets on the other hand state that they were in the spirit or that the Word of God came to them... which makes Revelation inspired because John was in the spirit and told to write down what he saw and heard while in the spirit.

Christ references scripture as Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms. But Revelation is also scripture because it was given to John while he was 'in the spirit', and he was even told to write down what he saw and heard (except for the part he was told not to write down).
So really, it is God Himself Who pointedly uses the same term in reference to both Himself and Jesus.[/list]So the "broad range of meanings" argument holds no water.

But it does. Even if what you claimed was true (it is not), there is still the erring pen of the scribes who copy and translate (from one language to another language). Scribes make mistakes, sometimes in the copying and sometimes in the translation. That is a fact and that is also corroborated by the prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 8:8, referencing the erring pen of the scribes)... and even Christ said 'woe to you scribes'.

You cannot create a doctrine solely around the use of this one word, long after the fact. You would need much more context.

I think we would all agree on the word as it is used in Deuteronomy. And the fact that Jesus uses the exact same word in reference to Himself
Again, where does He use the word in reference to Himself?
With that in mind, he's asking you to substantially refute that observation, that point. And in my opinion, at least -- which I realize has no value to you, at least on this subject -- that's an impossible task.

It seems to me that people have tried to do this with context, but Wootah only wants the use of the word use itself to be refuted (ignoring any other context that might reveal the author's incorrect connection). I can't see there is anything more to say on that except that the author's 'connection' is not evidence enough to prove anything.

Luke has plenty of opportunity to make it clear that Christ is God (YHWH)... but he does not. And Christ does not teach that either, not anywhere. You are inferring it (like men do with many other doctrines, including those I am sure you disagree with).

The Psalm (110:1) that Christ teaches is about Himself shows clearly that He (Jaheshua) is not the same being as God [YHWH].

[YHWH] says to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand until make your enemies a footstool for your feet."

[YHWH] (one being) is speaking TO Christ (a second being).

Thank you for your wish of peace, and peace also to you,
tammy