Hailstones in Revelation

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Hailstones in Revelation

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

"Then great hailstones, each about the weight of a talent, fell from heaven on the people, and the people blasphemed God because of the plague of hail, for the plague was unusually great." (Rev. 16:21)

What is this talking about? Is it literal? Is it symbolic? Even though people know the hailstones are falling from Heaven, why are they blaspheming God?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Hailstones in Revelation

Post #11

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
The whole chapter is talking about the wrath of God.

No, I don't think it is literal; it is symbolic, yet very meaningful.

It is painting a vivid word picture of "the wrath of God" being poured out on those who have gone their own way and been rejected as Satanic worshipers who will weep and gnash their teeth in rage, in grief, and in blasphemy.

See verses 1 and 20; also 18:8,24; 14:18-20; and John 3:36.
What would it feel like to be hit by one of these symbolic hailstones so as to make a person rage in blasphemy? How does a hailstone symbolize the wrath of God?
I do not know.

What I do know is what we are told in this chapter, and what we are told in this book about what it is and how what is in it was conveyed to its author.

That is:
Revelation 1:
1 He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,
2 who testifies to everything he saw

10 On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,
11 which said: “Write on a scroll what you see

Revelation 16:
1 Then I heard a loud voice from the temple saying to the seven angels, “Go, pour out on the earth the seven bowls of God’s wrath.

5 And I heard the angel of the waters say:
“Righteous are You, O Holy One,
who is and who was,
because You have brought these judgments.

6 For they have spilled the blood of saints and prophets,
and You have given them blood to drink
as they deserve.�

7 And I heard the altar reply:

“Yes, Lord God Almighty,
true and just are Your judgments.�

20 Then every island fled, and no mountain could be found.

21 And great hailstones weighing almost a hundred pounds eacha rained down on them from above. And men cursed God for the plague of hail, because it was so horrendous.
Revelation is a series of visions, and tells us what John saw and heard. A vision is like a dream, and is thus by definition and experience, seldom, if at all, literal.

woodtick
Student

Post #12

Post by woodtick »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1]
What is this talking about? Is it literal? Is it symbolic? Even though people know the hailstones are falling from Heaven, why are they blaspheming God?
Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm "Then great hailstones, each about the weight of a talent, fell from heaven on the people, and the people blasphemed God because of the plague of hail, for the plague was unusually great." (Rev. 16:21)

Boy, if hailstones weighing a talent (129 lbs. 14 oz.) started falling around me from the sky and god just sat there doing nothing to stop them I'd be blaspheming right along with them. If the story was symbolic, a metaphor, or an analogy I haven't seen anyone make the claim. All the Bible study notes I've seen regard the depiction as real. But just to put it into perspective; The "Heaviest [hailstone]: 1.02 kg (2.25 lb); Gopalganj District, Bangladesh, 14 April 1986." (source: Wikipedia) So it looks like the Bible is up to its old tricks: fibbing, because the truth is just to mundane---gotta keep the crowd awake.

Last edited by Miles on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #14

Post by Revelations won »

I am certain that many of the Jews viewed the prophesies regarding the destruction of the temple, etc were just symbolic, but all came to pass much to their dismay.

I can't help but think that may also be the same approach and view the massive armies will have as they gather around Jerusalem intent on the final destruction of and it inhabitants. I suspect the millions of soldiers would find it very difficult to find very many "safe" places to hide from hailstones weighing about a talent! It is obvious that there must be something very terrifying that might cause some to blaspheme god.

This should be a very interesting spectacle to observe the fulfillment in that coming day.....

woodtick
Student

Post #15

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #16

Post by Miles »

woodtick wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:16 am [Replying to Revelations won in post #14]

A talent doesn't have one specific weight.
Sure it does, although it depends on the culture and time. Just like the difference between the imperial (British) fluid gallon, which holds 133 fluid ounces, and the American fluid gallon, which holds 128 fluid ounces. OR the American cup, which holds 16 tablespoons, and the imperial cup which holds 15.77 tablespoons.

In the case of the talent mentioned in Revelations, "The heavy common talent, used in New Testament times, was 58.9 kg (129 lb 14 oz)."
source: Wikipedia

woodtick
Student

Post #17

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #18

Post by Miles »

woodtick wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm [Replying to Miles in post #16]
WIKI is probably the worse place to go to prove anything.
I disagree, but assuming you could be right then explain why Wikipedia is wrong. If you can't then your aspersion is moot.

woodtick
Student

Post #19

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #20

Post by Miles »

woodtick wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:49 pm [Replying to Miles in post #18]
WIKI can be edited by anyone at any time. I'm not necessarily saying WIKI is wrong, it's just not the place to go to decipher the meaning of a 'biblical' talent.

"The creators of Wikipedia are the first to admit that not every entry is accurate and that it might not be the best source of material for research papers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ble_source
Then look up the reference they give for it: 6. a b "III. Measures of Weight:", Jewish Encyclopedia.