Did Jesus fulfill any prophecies of the Messiah?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Did Jesus fulfill any prophecies of the Messiah?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Jewish tradition affirms at least five things about the Messiah. He will: be a descendant of King David, gain sovereignty over the land of Israel, gather the Jews there from the four corners of the earth, restore them to full observance of Torah law, and, as a grand finale, bring peace to the whole world.

Did Jesus fulfill all of these, or in fact any of these? :-s

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Did Jesus fulfill any prophecies of the Messiah?

Post #21

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:36 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:46 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:11 pm [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #17]

Your spin on things leaves me confused, and I am not confused concerning what I believe. I'm confused with your beliefs, which are basically very off-the-wall, sad to say. And you continue to denigrate the Apostle Paul, which is uncalled for, seeing as he was chosen by Jesus to spread the Good News. You and I are on different sides of the coin, and we'll have to agree to disagree.
Paul's encounter with the angel of light was witnessed only by Paul. If one is their own witness, their witness is untrue.
King James Bible John 5:31
If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
There were men with Paul that heard Jesus' voice, even though they didn't look at him. That should count for a witness or two.

Paul's message was also the good news of the Kingdom, just as Jesus' was. "So he remained for an entire two years in his own hired house, and he would kindly receive all those who came in to him, preaching the kingdom of God to them and teaching the things concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with the greatest freeness of speech, without hindrance." (Acts 28:31) See also Acts 19:8; Acts 20:25; Acts 28:23. He also mentions the Kingdom of God 16 more times in all his letters. I think perhaps you should readjust your thinking that Paul didn't speak about what Jesus taught. He certainly did.
There were two stories of Paul's encounter with the angel of light, and they did not agree with each other. And Paul new nothing about "Jesus Christ" to teach anyone anything. The associates of Yeshua were the apostles. And Acts was written by an unknown author, possible Luke, and according to Luke 1:1-3, he simply cited stories from unspecified third parties, which can't be used to verify anything, for two actual witnesses are required for that (Matthew 18:16). And what did Paul preach the "kingdom of God" was? Was it that the law of God had been nailed to a cross? Something that Yeshua never said. Yeshua said the devil/enemy would plant his message alongside the message of the son of man (Matthew 13). The devil's message was spread by "Satan"/Peter (Matthew 16:23), the "worthless shepherd" (Zechariah 11:16-16), the one who would not feed, care or tend the sheep, and the false prophet Paul (Matthew 7:13-23). The "kingdom" is not exactly "good news" for the tares, the followers of lawlessness (Matthew 13:41-42), who are gathered and thrown into the furnace of fire. It is simply justice for the righteous, who have prayed for justice (Revelation 8 & 16).

onewithhim
Savant

Post #22

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:52 pm

Your spin on things leaves me confused, and I am not confused concerning what I believe. I'm confused with your beliefs, which are basically very off-the-wall, sad to say. And you continue to denigrate the Apostle Paul, which is uncalled for, seeing as he was chosen by Jesus to spread the Good News. You and I are on different sides of the coin, and we'll have to agree to disagree.
Paul's encounter with the angel of light was witnessed only by Paul. If one is their own witness, their witness is untrue.
There were men with Paul that heard Jesus' voice, even though they didn't look at him. That should count for a witness or two.

Paul's message was also the good news of the Kingdom, just as Jesus' was. "So he remained for an entire two years in his own hired house, and he would kindly receive all those who came in to him, preaching the kingdom of God to them and teaching the things concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with the greatest freeness of speech, without hindrance." (Acts 28:31) See also Acts 19:8; Acts 20:25; Acts 28:23. He also mentions the Kingdom of God 16 more times in all his letters. I think perhaps you should readjust your thinking that Paul didn't speak about what Jesus taught. He certainly did.
There were two stories of Paul's encounter with the angel of light, and they did not agree with each other. And Paul new nothing about "Jesus Christ" to teach anyone anything. The associates of Yeshua were the apostles. And Acts was written by an unknown author, possible Luke, and according to Luke 1:1-3, he simply cited stories from unspecified third parties, which can't be used to verify anything, for two actual witnesses are required for that (Matthew 18:16). And what did Paul preach the "kingdom of God" was? Was it that the law of God had been nailed to a cross? Something that Yeshua never said. Yeshua said the devil/enemy would plant his message alongside the message of the son of man (Matthew 13). The devil's message was spread by "Satan"/Peter (Matthew 16:23), the "worthless shepherd" (Zechariah 11:16-16), the one who would not feed, care or tend the sheep, and the false prophet Paul (Matthew 7:13-23). The "kingdom" is not exactly "good news" for the tares, the followers of lawlessness (Matthew 13:41-42), who are gathered and thrown into the furnace of fire. It is simply justice for the righteous, who have prayed for justice (Revelation 8 & 16).
I stand by what I said, and your throwing Peter and Paul under the bus is not acceptable to any Bible-respecting person. All of it is God's inspired Word.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #23

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:36 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:52 pm

I stand by what I said, and your throwing Peter and Paul under the bus is not acceptable to any Bible-respecting person. All of it is God's inspired Word.
"God inspired" per the authority and editing of the Roman church, who the reformers referred to as the "whore of Babylon". What Yeshua said in Matthew 13, was that the message/seed of the devil, would be mixed with the message of the son of man. What Yeshua called Peter, was, "Satan", and a "stumbling block to me". Paul is best described by Yeshua in Matthew 7:13-23. Zechariah 11 describes three shepherds, Peter, Paul, and Judas Iscariot, of which two would shepherd the "flock doomed for slaughter" (Zechariah 11:7), those being Peter and Paul, per the instructions of the Lord thy God. Peter and Paul and their followers, the tares, are only protected until the end of the age, where upon, they as those who "commit lawlessness", and are "stumbling blocks", will be gathered out and thrown into the furnace of fire (Matthew 13:41-42), for they would be among those who dwell on the earth (Revelation 13:14), who are deceived.

You can follow the lead of the Roman church, or you can heed the message of Yeshua (Matthew 7:24-27).

Avoice
Guru

Post #24

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #12]

No

How can he be a direct decendant of king David? He is said to not have an earthly father

The rest you state is nonesense

Avoice
Guru

Post #25

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to Eloi in post #13]

It's not that the Messiah will be born in Bethlehem. It's that he will come from the one born in Bethlehem- king David.

Avoice
Guru

Post #26

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #18]

Uncalled for?

You trust Paul? Tell me then...on the road to Damascus did the men with him see or not see?
Did they hear or not hear? Did they stand?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Avoice in post #3]
Thanks for your personal interpretation, but that is not what we read.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #28

Post by onewithhim »

Avoice wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:25 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #12]

No

How can he be a direct decendant of king David? He is said to not have an earthly father

The rest you state is nonesense
Mary was a descendant of King David. Therefore Jesus was also.

What exactly is the nonsense that I presumably stated?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #29

Post by onewithhim »

Avoice wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:33 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #18]

Uncalled for?

You trust Paul? Tell me then...on the road to Damascus did the men with him see or not see?
Did they hear or not hear? Did they stand?
I said that they heard...... and they saw a blinding light.

Yes, your attacks on Paul are uncalled for.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #30

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Avoice in post #26]

Your unsubstantiated opinion is noted.