Did Jesus fulfill any prophecies of the Messiah?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Did Jesus fulfill any prophecies of the Messiah?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Jewish tradition affirms at least five things about the Messiah. He will: be a descendant of King David, gain sovereignty over the land of Israel, gather the Jews there from the four corners of the earth, restore them to full observance of Torah law, and, as a grand finale, bring peace to the whole world.

Did Jesus fulfill all of these, or in fact any of these? :-s

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Did Jesus fulfill any prophecies of the Messiah?

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

polonius wrote: Jewish tradition affirms at least five things about the Messiah. He will: be a descendant of King David, gain sovereignty over the land of Israel, gather the Jews there from the four corners of the earth, restore them to full observance of Torah law, and, as a grand finale, bring peace to the whole world.

He may have been a descendant of King David. And if one allows for his expected 2nd coming, he will fulfill the rest at that time. But I suspect the whole doctrine of the 2nd coming of Christ was invented because he did not fulfill these Messianic expectations the first time around.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

I don't see where Jesus' mission was to fulfill Jewish beliefs regarding expectations of a Messiah.

Not that I am saying I don't see that people believe this...but that is different from Jesus claiming that was his mission.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius wrote: Jewish tradition affirms at least five things about the Messiah. He will: be a descendant of King David, gain sovereignty over the land of Israel, gather the Jews there from the four corners of the earth, restore them to full observance of Torah law, and, as a grand finale, bring peace to the whole world.

Where are these prophecies found in the Tanakh?

Where does each one state that it refers to a coming Anointed One or Messiah?

cristian_gavrilescu
Student

Post #5

Post by cristian_gavrilescu »

53 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. (Isaiah 53)

read carefully

Revelations won
Sage

Post #6

Post by Revelations won »

To Whom it may concern,

In my observation, Christ indeed fulfilled everything necessary to fulfill the full purpose of his first coming. We should so carefully observe that his complete mission was and is indeed a two fold mission.

When one clearly understands the HIS first mission was NOT to come as the administrator of the law, but clearly as the "illustrator" of the law. This phase of his coming has been marked as the perfect pattern and example of a sinless life for all to emulate. Thus Immanuel or God with us took upon himself a body of flesh and bone under the most humble circumstances. He was the target of deadly enmity and murderous hate almost from his very beginning mortal journey.He was tempted and tried in all things as we are, jet was found without sinn.

His suffering in Gestemany and on the cross, cannot be fully understood without a perfected knowledge. We know not how intense and deep and penetrating his agony was in the garden wherein he sweat great drops of blood from every pore.

He was foreordained to this very mission by the Father before the foundation of this world were even laid to become our savior and redeemer.

Yes, he is Lord of lords and King of kings and has all power in heaven and earth.

His second coming will be both a great and dreadful day, for it shall be a most wonderful and great day for those who have acted and not allowed themselvess to be acted upon by the forces of evil. Yes it will also be a very terrible day for the wicked and theses who have rebelled against God, for they will not be prepared to endure his brightness and glory at his second coming. their very last acts of unrighteousness will result in their destruction at his coming.

Yes, the remaining jews who have thus survived the onslaught of the millions of soldiers vent on their total destruction will not recognize their messiah as he stands on the mount and they witness the dividing of the mount and the other great cataclysmic events that will swallow up the vast majority of the assembled armies. Then and only then will they recognize their messiah and great deliverer. On approaching him they will ask "what are these wounds in his hands and feet?" he will answer them "these are the wounds which I received in the house of my friends". The scenes that follow will be one of epic proportions as we shall witness one of the most incredible conversion events in the history of true Christianity!

Kind regards,
RW

Avoice
Guru

Re:

Post #7

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to cristian_gavrilescu in post #5]
"Read carefully" you say at the end. I suggest you do just that. Especially verse 8. It doesn't say HE was stricken. It says THEY were stricken. The servent is Israel. Read the chapters that lead up to this. Isaiah tells you who the servent is.

You were lied to by the church. They removed the word "THEY" and replaced it with HE so it would appear to be talking about a single individual.

Now...go tell others the truth

Miles
Savant

Re: Re:

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Avoice wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:07 am [Replying to cristian_gavrilescu in post #5]
"Read carefully" you say at the end. I suggest you do just that. Especially verse 8. It doesn't say HE was stricken. It says THEY were stricken. The servent is Israel. Read the chapters that lead up to this. Isaiah tells you who the servent is.
What Bible version are you using? I ask because all 55 versions I just looked at use "he."

You were lied to by the church. They removed the word "THEY" and replaced it with HE so it would appear to be talking about a single individual.
All 55? If so, how do you come by such knowledge?

Avoice
Guru

Post #9

Post by Avoice »

Hello

How much trouble do you think people can get into if they only read version? A lot! So then what can a person do? Go to the Hebrew.

I come by this knowledge by making sure it says it in the original texts.
It says THEY my friend. Not HE. The Dead Sea Scrolls even testify to this.
The church changed lots of passages. They mistranslated, omitted and even inserted things that aren't there. Just to make things sound like it's about Jesus.
The truth doesn't have to lie to be true. And no lie is of the truth.

Some people say they have the truth and want the truth. Gotta tell ya'....I've pointed this out to Christians and guess what? They don't care. They still say 'HE'. And they don't care if Isaiah identifies the servant as Israel. Israel being the "THEY".

Today is big day for you. Now that you know what it says. .now what? Pretend it says HE or tell everyone you love what it really says.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #10

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to polonius in post #1]
He fulfilled dozens of prophecies, and will fulfill more in the near future.