who is 666? my opinion

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

cristian_gavrilescu
Student

who is 666? my opinion

Post #1

Post by cristian_gavrilescu »

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Revelation 13:18)
gematria is a calculation, a number from a name, a word, a phrase. every letter has a number allocated. the amount of all numbers is the number allocated to that word. if in latin alphabet, you allocate to the letter z, the number 1 and to next letters in inverse order of the alphabet, you allocate 2,3,4, etc, until 10, then 10,20,30, etc, until 100, then 100,200,300, etc, until last letter a, the word (name) hitler is 666. h=100, i=90, t=7, l=60, e=400, r=9. this is one of many possible gematries. in "real" gematria, the hebrew alphabet, nero is the only famous person with the number 666.
caesar neron = nron qsr = נרונ קסר
resh (ר) samekh (ס) qoph (ק) nun (נ) vav (ו) resh (ר) nun (נ)
200 + 60 + 100 + 50 + 6 + 200 + 50 = 666
8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. (Revelation 17:8)
from this quote, we can understand the beast (666) will live two times. what similarities have hitler and nero? both they fought jews, both they killed themselves after they lost the war, both were the biggest killers in the history of humanity, nero killed paul and peter, in one word: 666. maybe God gave two chances to 666 to be a human, but he refused those.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Re: who is 666? my opinion

Post #31

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

Good Evening cristian_gavrilescu

I think you are on the right track, but remember, the beast of Rev. 17 has 7 heads. I think the Beast is not as much a single man as it is a series of world government systems, run by men. The Book of Daniel gives 2 more versions, one of the Beast rising out of the sea and the other, a dream of Nebuchadnezzar's great image. Nebuchadnezzar's image mimics the Beasts in Daniel and the one in Revelation. A successive series of world ruling Governments beginning with Babylon, the Medo-Persian Empire, Alexander-the-Great's Macedonian Empire, divided into four regions: Macedonia and Greece, Thrace and Western Asia, (the four heads of the leopard in Daniel) The Strong as Iron, Roman Empire, which was divided into two capitols, Rome and Constantinople (the 2 legs from the image in Daniel), followed by Hitler and Mussolini's attempt to become world rulers... leaving one more yet to come, out of the deadly wound of the 7th head and the 10 successive horns, one more rise of Babylon, 10 loosely bound nations, of iron, strength and clay, fragile, coming from a city of 7 hills.

Whoever it is, hasn't become clear at this time but the letters of his name will add up (count) in Greek, the language used in the NT, to 666.
Soj

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by PinSeeker »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:26 pm Whoever it is, hasn't become clear at this time but the letters of his name will add up (count) in Greek, the language used in the NT, to 666.
Not really arguing with you here, Sojourner, but as I said earlier, but in my opinion, 666 cannot be conntected with the numerical value of someone's name, because there are far too many possibilities. The speculations about a modern antichrist also continue to multiply, but as John says:
  • "Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour." [1 John 2:18]
  • "Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son." [1 John 2:22]
  • "...every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already." [1 John 4:3]
  • "For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist." [2 John 1:7]
On earth, the antichrist is not just one person but is represented by a large body of people past present and future -- unbelievers. The true "Anti-Christ" is Satan himself, the counterfeit Christ/Savior/God.

At any rate, such speculations miss the point. Revelation calls not for cleverness but for spiritual discernment.

koko

Post #33

Post by koko »

Trump is a liar whose home is #666, is a bigoted deceiver, exploiter of the poor, enricher of the wealth elites, and is hellbent on bringing about war and destruction. You see proof of that every night on TV. Therefore, he is 666. No qestion in my mind.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #34

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #32]

Good Afternoon PinSeeker,

I don't believe the "anti-Christ" and the Beast are the same. 666 does not refer to a man, but a government, led by a man, and the number of his name will be on their hand (in all that he does) or his forehead, (in all that motivates him) who will be ridden by (directed by, like the rider of a horse) the "anti-Christ" or a religious system, that will give the beast its power.

However, when the persons are revealed, I think the symbols will become obvious and relevant to those God calls His own, the Children of Israel and all of those grafted into their family tree.

Soj

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by PinSeeker »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 am 666 does not refer to a man, but a government, led by a man, and the number of his name will be on their hand (in all that he does) or his forehead, (in all that motivates him) who will be ridden by (directed by, like the rider of a horse) the "anti-Christ" or a religious system, that will give the beast its power.
I agree with this, but only somewhat. Revelation is filled with 1-to-many ratios over the course of history from Pentecost forward to the return of Christ. This may not be altogether clear, and I can elaborate if necessary, but Revelation is a picture book rather than a puzzle book. :) The things John describes in his vision/dream are not merely 1-to-1 ratios with some certain object either present or future near -- as we would think of near; all times are near to God -- to Christ's return. The Anti-christ of Revelation is but one of these. As I pointed out, John, in 1 John 2:18-19, tells us:
  • "Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us."
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 am However, when the persons are revealed, I think the symbols will become obvious and relevant to those God calls His own, the Children of Israel and all of those grafted into their family tree.
And I somewhat agree with this, too. But I think the symbols will not merely become obvious but rather have been obvious, are obvious, and will continue to be obvious up to the Day of Christ. Jesus speaks of the signs of the end of the age in Matthew 24:3-8, saying:
  • “See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains."
All these things (false Christs, wars and rumors of wars, nations rising against nations, kingdoms rising against kingdoms, famines, earthquakes, etc., have been happening, are happening, and will continue to happen until that great Day.

Grace and peace to you, brother.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by Quantrill »

(Rev. 13:18) is clear that 666 speaks to a man. "...for it is the number of a man....".

That there is the spirit of antichrist in the world, yes. There is an economic and political system of the antichrist, yes. That there have been many antichrist's already, yes. But the one in the book of (Revelation) speaks to that man which represents all of these.

Also, the antichrist, when he rules over the world, will rule only over the revised Roman empire. In other words those countries that are located in the Mediterranean area. He will have enemies and be fighting with them.

And, it needs to be understood that satan is not omnipotent. He doesn't know when the time is right for his man, the antichrist, to come to power. But he is always preparing for that time. That preparation is known as the 'mystery of iniquity'. (2 Thess. 2:6-9)

Therefore satan has a system in place ready for his man. And he always has a man ready to fill that position when it is time. That time will be determined by God. Therefore, there have been many political leaders in the past who could have been the man ready for satan to use. I doubt Hitler would have been one as He was too anti-semitic. The antichrist will appear as one in favor of the Jews.

Quantrill

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by PinSeeker »

Quantrill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 am (Rev. 13:18) is clear that 666 speaks to a man. "...for it is the number of a man....".

That there is the spirit of antichrist in the world, yes. There is an economic and political system of the antichrist, yes. That there have been many antichrist's already, yes. But the one in the book of (Revelation) speaks to that man which represents all of these.

Also, the antichrist, when he rules over the world, will rule only over the revised Roman empire. In other words those countries that are located in the Mediterranean area. He will have enemies and be fighting with them.

And, it needs to be understood that satan is not omnipotent. He doesn't know when the time is right for his man, the antichrist, to come to power. But he is always preparing for that time. That preparation is known as the 'mystery of iniquity'. (2 Thess. 2:6-9)

Therefore satan has a system in place ready for his man. And he always has a man ready to fill that position when it is time. That time will be determined by God. Therefore, there have been many political leaders in the past who could have been the man ready for satan to use. I doubt Hitler would have been one as He was too anti-semitic. The antichrist will appear as one in favor of the Jews.
I will say again that Revelation is a picture book, where most things described therein have a one-to-many relationship with things in the world. It is not a puzzle book, where those things have one-to-one relationships with things in the world.

The Anti-Christ is a singular entity (person) as represented and described in Revelation, but symbolizes a body of people throughout the church age.

The State headed by the Anti-Christ is also a singular entity as represented and described in Revelation, but symbolizes all worldly States bound up into one throughout the church age.

Surely, Satan is not omnipotent. The theme of Revelation is, "Jesus wins." In this way, all who read aloud the words and hear and keep what is written in Revelation are blessed -- from John's time to our time and all the way up to Jesus's return. Jesus wins. At any point in time, no matter how bad things may seem, our salvation and our victory is secure in Christ.

Grace and peace to you.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Quantrill »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:31 pm
I will say again that Revelation is a picture book, where most things described therein have a one-to-many relationship with things in the world. It is not a puzzle book, where those things have one-to-one relationships with things in the world.

The Anti-Christ is a singular entity (person) as represented and described in Revelation, but symbolizes a body of people throughout the church age.

The State headed by the Anti-Christ is also a singular entity as represented and described in Revelation, but symbolizes all worldly States bound up into one throughout the church age.

Surely, Satan is not omnipotent. The theme of Revelation is, "Jesus wins." In this way, all who read aloud the words and hear and keep what is written in Revelation are blessed -- from John's time to our time and all the way up to Jesus's return. Jesus wins. At any point in time, no matter how bad things may seem, our salvation and our victory is secure in Christ.

Grace and peace to you.
Again, (Revelation 13:18) is clear. 666 is the number of a man.

You say (Revelation) is a picture book. By what authority?

You say antichrist is a symbol. By what authority?

You say the system of antichrist is a symbol. By what authority?

What makes these a symbol? And what makes your interpretation of the symbol correct? After all, if they are just symbols, then I or anyone else can have an interpretation of what that symbol means.

For example: You say that the theme of (Revelation) is Jesus wins. Another says the theme of (Revelation) is God loves His people. Another says, the theme of (Revelation) is God is ominipotent. Another says, the theme of (Revelation) is don't do bad things. See how empty your "Jesus wins" is as the theme of (Revelation). That is kindergarten Bible.

Quantrill

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by PinSeeker »

Quantrill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm See how empty your "Jesus wins" is as the theme of (Revelation).
Well, I see how empty it looks to you. That's too bad, but you are welcome to your opinion.
Quantrill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm That is kindergarten Bible.
Although utterly unintended on your part, this is actually a very insightful statement. If you go back and read it through the eyes of an elementary school student, you might begin to see Revelation in a whole new -- and actually accurate -- way.

You may ignore this, but then again you may not... I might recommend a really good Revelation commentary to you: The Returning King, by Dr. Vern Sheridan Poythress:

https://www.amazon.com/Returning-King-G ... 0875524621

Poythress serves as Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Biblical Interpretation at Westminster Theological Seminary. He was previously editor of the Westminster Theological Journal. You can actually read it online for free:

https://frame-poythress.org/ebooks/the-returning-king/

Hey, there's really no need to be so hostile, is there? Grace and peace to you, Quantrill.

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by Quantrill »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 pm
Well, I see how empty it looks to you. That's too bad, but you are welcome to your opinion.

Although utterly unintended on your part, this is actually a very insightful statement. If you go back and read it through the eyes of an elementary school student, you might begin to see Revelation in a whole new -- and actually accurate -- way.

You may ignore this, but then again you may not... I might recommend a really good Revelation commentary to you: The Returning King, by Dr. Vern Sheridan Poythress:

https://www.amazon.com/Returning-King-G ... 0875524621

Poythress serves as Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Biblical Interpretation at Westminster Theological Seminary. He was previously editor of the Westminster Theological Journal. You can actually read it online for free:

https://frame-poythress.org/ebooks/the-returning-king/

Hey, there's really no need to be so hostile, is there? Grace and peace to you, Quantrill.
Well, if you want to remain a child in your understanding of Scripture, you are welcome to it. The idea of maturing and growth and knowledge in the Bible, is appealing to me.

Now this is priceless. You ignore all my questions to you. Instead you recommend a certain book to me, indicating I might ignore that.

You love your kindergarten level of knowledge of the Bible. And for some reason I'm sure that is supposed to be equated with 'spirituality'. So, why in the world would I be interested in any author you recommend? Seminaries and Bible Colleges are full of people just like your author. Their degrees mean nothing to me. Just like the degrees and standing of the pharisees and sadducees meant nothing to Jesus.

Quantrill