How do bible fundamentalists explain these passages?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

How do bible fundamentalists explain these passages?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

1 Samuel 23:22- "And so more also do God unto the enemies of David if I leave all that pertain to him by morning light any that pisseth against the wall."

1 Samuel 25:24- "For in very deed as the LORD God of Israel liveth which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been any left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall."

1 Kings 4:10- "Therefore behold I will bring evil upon the House of Jeroboam and will cut off Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung till it all be gone."

1 Kings 16:11- "And it came to pass when he began to reign as soon as he sat on his throne that he slew all the house of Baasha he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither his kinsfolks nor of his friends."

1 Kings 21:21- "Behold I will bring evil upon thee and will take away thy posterity and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,"

2 Kings 9:8- "For the whole house of Ahab shall perish and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall and him that is shut up and left in Israel:"

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: How do bible fundamentalists explain these passages?

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

Pretty much the same as you, perhaps.

What is your point?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: How do bible fundamentalists explain these passages?

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

I dont know but as one of Jehovahs Witnesses I would say these verses are various summaries of the actions of a variety of Israel's kings. I take it you want a comment on the phrase "pisseth against the wall" which is considered quite vulgar in English today but apparently wasn't back when the King James Version was first translated into our language.
Most modern translations favor urinate or employ the euphemism "man/male"

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8