GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

shawnskin

GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #1

Post by shawnskin »

I get hung up right in genesis when after he creates us and we sin he regrets making us. (and all powerful being should not have regrets ) I believe there’s a God, Or more accurately something going on so far beyond our understanding that Other than a small glimpse our human minds are not capable of understanding it. our brains/egos would rather make something up and admit we don’t understand, come to believe that people Who think they know Gods will ,understand him ,and can speak for him ,are either delusional Or deceitful...I believe we have created God In our on image.and What is really going on iso much more amazing than we can ever imagine

Miles
Savant

Re: GOD has regrets? how can an omnipotent being regret something?

Post #21

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:43 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:25 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:20 pm
So you're saying that when god "breathed out"* 1 Samuel 15:35 he made a mistake when he said ". . . the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel"? That god didn't regret making Saul king over Israel at all?
Read my reply carefully. I didn't say he didn't have regret.
You're quite right. My apologies for not reading more carefully. But the issue isn't when god had regrets, but that he had any regrets at all. And the answer is, yes he did. He regretted/repented/was (very) sorry/was (very) sad/grieved* that he made Saul king over Israel.
I'm not disputing His regret. I'm disputing that you think He made a mistake when He when he didn't. He was sad and grieved but not repentant.
You have lumped regret and repent together and that is not always the case I have given you numerous examples.
Aside from the fact that 16 bibles (27% of those I checked) use the word "repented" in 1 Samuel 15:35, the word in 1 Samuel 15:35 that's variously translated as "regretted," "repented," "was (very) sorry," "was (very) sad," and "grieved".. is נָחַם (nāḥam), which Strong's Concordance catalogs as H5162 and has as its primary definition:

"I.. to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, . . . ."

and under further uses A-ii and D-ii lists: to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent, and "to rue, repent of," respectively. So no more about the original word not being able to mean "repented." It doesn't wash.

The Bible is using the word regret as a noun.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regret
Definition of regret (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : sorrow aroused by circumstances beyond one's control or power to repair
2a : an expression of distressing emotion (such as sorrow)
NO! Bibles interpreting Strong's H5162 in 1 Samuel 15:35 use "regretted," a VERB, NOT "regret,"the noun.

What it all comes down to is that....................GOD MADE A MISTAKE................Just as he did in Genesis 6:6 "And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

It is unreasonable to accept that a creator of this universe would have any regrets. The bible consists of a collection of authors who shared similar beliefs about the nature of The Creator.

If we look at how creation fixes things, we can see therein that if there is a creator mind behind this, then there is simply no need for said mind to feel regret for anything said mind created.

The idea that the creator should regret what was created, is therefore more the transference of the emotional one who wrote the sentence under question. The author is assigning said emotion onto said idea of the creator and this transference is the author thinking how he would feel if it were him who created human beings and therefore applying that feeling to how the creator 'must have felt'.

Miles
Savant

Post #23

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:09 pm It is unreasonable to accept that a creator of this universe would have any regrets.
I would agree if that creator was infallible. Was he? If so, how do you know?
The bible consists of a collection of authors who shared similar beliefs about the nature of The Creator.
I assume you're now taking about Jehovah. If so where in the Bible is it said he's infallible?
The idea that the creator should regret what was created, is therefore more the transference of the emotional one who wrote the sentence under question.
Assuming you're still talking about the god of the Bible, not at all. Why? Because the Bible says he regretted what he did in both Genesis 6:6 and 1 Samuel 15:35.

"And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

and

". . . the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel"

The author is assigning said emotion onto said idea of the creator and this transference is the author thinking how he would feel if it were him who created human beings and therefore applying that feeling to how the creator 'must have felt'.
And who is this author? Why, it's none other than god himself.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
"All Scripture is given by God. And all Scripture is useful for teaching and for showing people what is wrong in their lives. "

and

Proverbs 30:5-6
"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. "

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:34 pm
NO! Bibles interpreting Strong's H5162 in 1 Samuel 15:35 use "regretted," a VERB, NOT "regret,"the noun.

What it all comes down to is that....................GOD MADE A MISTAKE................Just as he did in Genesis 6:6 "And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

NO! It is not your opinion that wins debates in this forum but scripture.
"The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he." - Deut 32:4
"The way of the true God is perfect." - 2 Sam 22:31

Mistakes and bad judgements are not possible according to the Bible. Because the Bible has the highest authority in this forum your opinion is noted and discarded as false. God is not at fault for anything others do if they change their heart toward doing what is bad and deviate from the course He assigned them. You can think whatever you want but scripturally you're wrong and if you want to base all debates on opinion then head back the C&A forum. Here the Bible has the final say.

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 am
William wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:09 pm It is unreasonable to accept that a creator of this universe would have any regrets.
Observe Creation. You tell me. Also while you are at it, why are you conflating The Creator with the idea of the being presented in the bible? Why do you refer to The Creator as 'he'?
The bible consists of a collection of authors who shared similar beliefs about the nature of The Creator.
I assume you're now taking about Jehovah.
The is one of the names used in the bible to denote The Creator.
If so where in the Bible is it said he's infallible?
In those stories, as far as I am aware, there is no mention of the word. I would say that it is inferred to being the case. Certainly many religious theists believe so.
The idea that the creator should regret what was created, is therefore more the transference of the emotional one who wrote the sentence under question.
Assuming you're still talking about the god of the Bible, not at all. Why? Because the Bible says he regretted what he did in both Genesis 6:6 and 1 Samuel 15:35.

"And the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved at heart."

and

". . . the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel"
My point remains. [the bible is a book] Unless you can show me that the god in question, actually told the authors this was the case.
The author is assigning said emotion onto said idea of the creator and this transference is the author thinking how he would feel if it were him who created human beings and therefore applying that feeling to how the creator 'must have felt'.
And who is this author? Why, it's none other than god himself.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
"All Scripture is given by God. And all Scripture is useful for teaching and for showing people what is wrong in their lives. "

and

Proverbs 30:5-6
"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. "

Here you make the same mistake as the Christians in assuming that things inspired come from this god. Even if that were the case, these still have to pass through the filters of human belief systems, which is why I wrote what I did, about that transference of human emotions and standards which dress up The Creator and provide us with a false image as a result.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by PinSeeker »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:02 am

"The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he." - Deut 32:4

Mistakes and bad judgements are not possible according to the Bible. Because the Bible has the highest authority in this forum your opinion is noted and discarded as false. God is not at fault for anything others do if they change their heart toward doing what is bad and deviate from the course He assigned them. You can think whatever you want but scripturally you're wrong and if you want to base all debates on opinion then head back the C&A forum. Here the Bible has the final say.
Good post, 2Timothy316. I mean, maybe it's not necessary to beat him over the head with a sledgehammer -- figuratively speaking of course -- but yeah. :)

Two points:

1. As for God regretting what He did or having made a mistake... If I discipline my child, I regret having done it and even am sorry that I had to do it. But that's my responsibility as a father, to discipline my child, so I did not make a mistake in doing so. We could make the same point about any number of things. We regret things, are even sorry for those things, but we do not make mistakes in actually doing those things.

2. As for 2 Timothy 3:16, the Greek word θεόπνευστος (theopneustos) is properly rendered in English as a phrase; "given by God" or "inspired by God" or "God-breathed" is the proper rendering. No one is "assuming" anything. That all of what is contained in Scripture came from God, that it was given to us by God, that it is His Word -- given through men, for sure, but still, it is God's Word -- or at least that Scripture itself states this, is indisputable.

Grace and peace to all.

Miles
Savant

Post #27

Post by Miles »

If ya gotta Image to make it all work then be my guest, but your picking is duly noted.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #28

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Miles in post #28]

It's not cherry picking. I actually pick everything on the tree. It's you not wanting to except there is more than just your opinion. To "make things all work" is easy when you study the Bible and read more than just a couple of scriptures.

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

PinSeeker wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 am

Good post, 2Timothy316. I mean, maybe it's not necessary to beat him over the head with a sledgehammer -- figuratively speaking of course -- but yeah. :)

Two points:
1. As for God regretting what He did or having made a mistake... If I discipline my child, I regret having done it and even am sorry that I had to do it. But that's my responsibility as a father, to discipline my child, so I did not make a mistake in doing so. We could make the same point about any number of things. We regret things, are even sorry for those things, but we do not make mistakes in actually doing those things.
Would you as a parent, put something in your children's way that you knew would be a temptation for them and then when they did what you told them not to, would you curse them with pain and suffering and throw them out - abandon them?

2. As for 2 Timothy 3:16, the Greek word θεόπνευστος (theopneustos) is properly rendered in English as a phrase; "given by God" or "inspired by God" or "God-breathed" is the proper rendering. No one is "assuming" anything. That all of what is contained in Scripture came from God, that it was given to us by God, that it is His Word -- given through men, for sure, but still, it is God's Word -- or at least that Scripture itself states this, is indisputable.

Grace and peace to all.
The interesting thing about stories that are inspired by concepts [in this case the concept of a Creator] is that they in turn inspire one to understand the story in terms that the story itself inspires.

Miles
Savant

Post #30

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 am
Miles wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 am
Observe Creation. You tell me.
Certainly. According to the Biblical scripture he made mistakes, hence he is fallible.

Why do you refer to The Creator as 'he'?
Because shes don't have beards.

I assume you're now taking about Jehovah.
The is one of the names used in the bible to denote The Creator.
??????????????

Gotta cut your post short here because it simply isn't making much sense.

Have a good day.