A Promise Unkept

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

A Promise Unkept

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Matthew 18:19 came up in a discussion the other day. It was being argued that while at one time god may have cared about mankind, he has since lost all interest in us, As evidence is his complete disregard of the promise he made (in his persona as Jesus) to grant prayers. It was pointed out that as much as peace on earth was prayed for, god has never granted it. That no matter how much two parents prayed for the recovery of their dying child, god let her die anyway. That no matter how much two children prayed for the return of their runaway pet Rover, god never saw fit to bring him back

Because a scriptural passage may read differently depending on which Bible one reads, I've listed six slightly different versions here so as to make it clear what Jesus is saying.

Matthew 18:19
(ERV)
To say it another way, if two of you on earth agree on anything you pray for, my Father in heaven will do what you ask.

(NABRE)
Again, [amen,] I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father.

(NRSV)
Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.

(KJV)
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

(NMB)
Again I say to you, if two of you agree in earth about any manner of thing, whatsoever they desire, it shall be given them by my Father who is in heaven.

(RSVCE)
Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

So, what do you think happened here?

A) Jesus was wrong and misspoke about what his alter ego would do.

B) Jesus didn't misspeak, but somewhere down the line god the father changed his mind.

Last edited by Miles on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Re: A Promise Unkept

Post #41

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

Okay, so let me just say, I was not calling the miracles of God a side show. I was just saying that, if that's all one is looking for, something to dazzle you, even Christ made the point to the crowds following Him around that they were just there to get free food and see a spectacular sight and were missing the whole point of what He was there to do, which was to direct people to God. Jesus did miracles. The Apostles did miracles. But the point of the miracles was to show them that God had the power to remake their lives, that His word was powerful. It wasn't done as a spectacle or to show folks what He could do.

At any rate, I never said God's miracles were a side show... my point was that you shouldn't make them into one.

Soj

Miles
Savant

Post #42

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 am
Miles wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:20 am..what of all those billions upon billions of prayers that were not contrary to god's will and purpose yet have gone ungranted?
Most prayers are in fact contrary to Gods will and puprose. All sincere prayers that are not are promised not to be granted but ...an answer: the answer may be "Yes", "No" or .... "Later"
And this after I just got done asking. "what of all those billions upon billions of prayers that were not contrary to god's will and purpose." Image

Moreover, in Matthew 18:19 we read:

"To say it another way, if two of you on earth agree on anything you pray for, my Father in heaven will do what you ask."

I give up.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:24 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 am
Miles wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:20 am..what of all those billions upon billions of prayers that were not contrary to god's will and purpose yet have gone ungranted?
Most prayers are in fact contrary to Gods will and puprose. All sincere prayers that are not are promised not to be granted but ...an answer: the answer may be "Yes", "No" or .... "Later"
And this after I just got done asking. "what of all those billions upon billions of prayers that were not contrary to god's will and purpose." Image

Moreover, in Matthew 18:19 we read:

"To say it another way, if two of you on earth agree on anything you pray for, my Father in heaven will do what you ask."

I give up.

Who was Jesus talking to when he said this? He wasn't talking to the hypocritical Jews. He was talking to his disciples. Those that would ask for things according to God's will. Also, the 'on anything' is explained in 1 John 5:14. "And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that no matter what we ask according to his will, he hears us." Using a single scripture as a bases for a doctrine like putting a single piece of lumber in the ground and calling it a house. Thus Matthew 18:19 alone doesn't a good doctrine make.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #44

Post by JehovahsWitness »

"...what of all those billions upon billions of prayers that were not contrary to god's will and purpose."
Firstly you cannot possible know that there are "billions upon billions" of such prayers. I believe "All sincere prayers that are not contrary to god's will and purpose , will be answered; And that the answer will be "Yes", "No" or .... "Later"" .

JW

For more, please go to other posts related to...

GOD, PRAYER and .....HUMAN SUFFERING

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #45

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:27 pm
"...what of all those billions upon billions of prayers that were not contrary to god's will and purpose."
Firstly you cannot possible know that there are "billions upon billions" of such prayers.
Of course "billions upon billions" is just a guesstimate. Duh! But considering the millions upon millions of concerned Christians, Jews, and Muslims who use and have used prayer over and over again to affect the suffering of themselves, loved ones, strangers, and even situations, I think "billions upon billions" is a fair estimate. Don't agree? Fine.
JehovahsWitness wrote: I believe "All sincere prayers that are not contrary to god's will and purpose , will be answered; And that the answer will be "Yes", "No" or .... "Later"" .
Despite Matthew 18:19, which you obviously regard as a bad cherry.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #46

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:22 pm.. But considering the millions upon millions of concerned Christians, Jews, and Muslims who use and have used prayer over and over again to affect the suffering of themselves, loved ones, strangers, and even situations, I think "billions upon billions" is a fair estimate. Don't agree?
Do I agree millions may have prayed to their god for relief from their personal suffering ? Yes I agree. However you notice I said ....
JehovahsWitness wrote: I believe "All sincere prayers that are not contrary to God's will and purpose , will be answered; And that the answer will be "Yes", "No" or .... "Later"" .
Those that pray that human suffering be alleviated are indeed praying according to his will and purpose: the answer to such prayers is "LATER"

Since God has chose to allow human suffering, at least for the present time, praying that it one's personal suffering (or the suffering of loved ones) cease may not be in line with Gods will and purpose at that time. The answer to such a prayer may be: "no". Jesus taught his followers to pray "thy will be done on earth" not "MY will be done on earth".

Both The Apostle Paul and Jesus himself prayed for personal relief from their suffering. On both occassions the answer was "No".

JW

FURTHER READING Why does God allow evil and suffering?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... suffering/

RELATED POSTS

What is the issue of universal Sovereignty? [Defined]
viewtopic.php?p=1031210#p1031210

Should not a loving God have ignored the issues in order to avoid suffering? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=908722#p908722

Why did God allow Job to be tested?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 26#p908726

Does God ignore the prayers of those that suffer?
viewtopic.php?p=1024256#p1024256

Will human governments be able to eliminate all suffering one day?
viewtopic.php?p=1062765#p1062765
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SATAN , HUMAN SUFFERING and .... THE ISSUE OF UNIVERSAL SOVEREIGNTY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Menotu
Sage

Post #47

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to Miles in post #4]
Nope. Jesus said "anything," and without qualification.
While I agree with you in thinking in absolutes (and some people do see the bible in absolutes, but only when it fits their needs), I've found looking for absolutes in the bible is futile and will result in more confusion than clarification.
Again, I see your POV and don't disagree with it in principle, I think your quest won't reveal anything past gobble-tee-gook. But part of the fun is the journey, not the destination so..... :approve:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:51 pm Matthew 18:19 came up in a discussion the other day. It was being argued that while at one time god may have cared about mankind, he has since lost all interest in us, As evidence is his complete disregard of the promise he made (in his persona as Jesus) to grant prayers. It was pointed out that as much as peace on earth was prayed for, god has never granted it. That no matter how much two parents prayed for the recovery of their dying child, god let her die anyway. That no matter how much two children prayed for the return of their runaway pet Rover, god never saw fit to bring him back

Because a scriptural passage may read differently depending on which Bible one reads, I've listed six slightly different versions here so as to make it clear what Jesus is saying.

(ERV)
To say it another way, if two of you on earth agree on anything you pray for, my Father in heaven will do what you ask.

(NABRE)
Again, [amen,] I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father.

(NRSV)
Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.

(KJV)
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

(NMB)
Again I say to you, if two of you agree in earth about any manner of thing, whatsoever they desire, it shall be given them by my Father who is in heaven.

(RSVCE)
Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

B) Jesus didn't misspeak, but somewhere down the line god the father changed his mind.

There's always excuses to why prayers don't get answered. There also may be reasons. We don't know (though odds are there's no one to hear the prayers prayed).
At best, we can say if prayer benefits us. I'd say sometimes it does, (I've heard of studies that say simply praying calms people sometimes) but not likely because of any god (or God, if you like) but by connecting-the-dots on coincidences. And when was can't connect those dots, we say 'God works in mysterious ways' and other excuses.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #49

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:31 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:51 pm Matthew 18:19 came up in a discussion the other day. It was being argued that while at one time god may have cared about mankind, he has since lost all interest in us, As evidence is his complete disregard of the promise he made (in his persona as Jesus) to grant prayers. It was pointed out that as much as peace on earth was prayed for, god has never granted it. That no matter how much two parents prayed for the recovery of their dying child, god let her die anyway. That no matter how much two children prayed for the return of their runaway pet Rover, god never saw fit to bring him back

(ERV)

(NABRE)

(NRSV)

(KJV)

(NMB)

(RSVCE)

There's always excuses to why prayers don't get answered. There also may be reasons.

But the fact remains Jesus left no room for "excuses" or "reasons." He never qualified his statement "To say it another way, if two of you on earth agree on anything you pray for, my Father in heaven will do what you ask." with any "however," "but," or "although." It is an unconditional promise, "my Father in heaven will do." An unconditional promise that god has failed to keep.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #50

Post by 2timothy316 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:31 pm There's always excuses to why prayers don't get answered.
There are no excuses. If you never see answer to your prayer, then no is the answer. Or perhaps you got an answer you didn't want to hear or one that did come in the way you wanted it. The mystery to most is why the answer is no. It's a mystery because they do not accept or do not know the will of Jehovah God. There are prayers God doesn't even listen to. (John 9:31, Proverbs 28:9, 1 Peter 3:12)