What is Man?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

What is Man?

Post #1

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

I know there are a wide variety of beliefs in this forum, encompassing any imaginable range of ideologies of who and what God is.

But I am curious, what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind?

Why did God create Him?
What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time?
What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection?
And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?
And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection?
What will prevent him from receiving his reward?
What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on?

Soj

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Re: What is Man?

Post #41

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to Dimmesdale in post #39]
Dimmsdale wrote:
In some ways, this can be over-thought. In some ways it is very easy to define man, because man is meant to be happy and serve God with love. Love and happiness are simple concepts, at bottom. Man is meant to be who he is, and do what he does best - exist in perfect harmony with God, nature and his brothers. The "How" may be complicated, but not the "What." The "What" is very easy - Life itself.
But Dimmsdale, I would say that a great many, maybe half of mankind, possibly even the majority of mankind are not happy. He's meant to be who he is? And who would that be? Love appears to be quite illusive to a great many people. Happiness even more so. Would you say mankind is in harmony with God? How simple can it be with so many in the world out of step with God, nature and the rest of mankind?

Soj

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: What is Man?

Post #42

Post by Dimmesdale »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 pm [Replying to Dimmesdale in post #39]
Dimmsdale wrote:
In some ways, this can be over-thought. In some ways it is very easy to define man, because man is meant to be happy and serve God with love. Love and happiness are simple concepts, at bottom. Man is meant to be who he is, and do what he does best - exist in perfect harmony with God, nature and his brothers. The "How" may be complicated, but not the "What." The "What" is very easy - Life itself.
But Dimmsdale, I would say that a great many, maybe half of mankind, possibly even the majority of mankind are not happy. He's meant to be who he is? And who would that be? Love appears to be quite illusive to a great many people. Happiness even more so. Would you say mankind is in harmony with God? How simple can it be with so many in the world out of step with God, nature and the rest of mankind?

Soj
Hey! I missed you after all these months! :)

To be quite honest my thoughts are at some level of flux most of the time. But here maybe I will stay close to my original reasoning. Or not. Let's see.

I would say that man is out of his proper state. Kind of like a fish out of water. The fish has to find the water in order to come back to its true nature. I would say that mankind has the potential for happiness, but that potential has been snuffed out due to so many vitiating influences. If mankind could be set back to rights in terms of its environment, the happiness would spark back into a flame.

The fact that mankind is still alive and has some level of happiness, means that it is not entirely divorced from its proper medium. In other words, the fish (mankind) is still in the water (else it would be dead). However, to take the analogy further, perhaps the water is seriously polluted, and needs to be cleaned.

We see in life that if enough conditions are met, people can be very happy. We see also that those conditions can be foiled. We should then endeavor in bettering the conditions.