What is Man?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

What is Man?

Post #1

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

I know there are a wide variety of beliefs in this forum, encompassing any imaginable range of ideologies of who and what God is.

But I am curious, what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind?

Why did God create Him?
What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time?
What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection?
And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?
And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection?
What will prevent him from receiving his reward?
What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on?

Soj

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is Man?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am
JehovahsWitness:
What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time? To be perfectly happy
Ouch! Major fail.
Your conclusion is somewhat premature, the fat lady hath not yet sung.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 amI mean, even here in these United States, there are a lot of people whose lives are brutally unhappy. Certainly, some of their own volition, but others are victims of cruel fate of every imaginable kind.
That is a sad present day reality but not one God intended and not one he will tolerate forever.

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am If that is God's extended plan, why not get right to that part and save mankind from itself?
There were some major issues that needed to be settled.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am1 Corinthians 15:50-54, 2 Corinthians 3:18, 1Thess 4:14-17, Php 3:21, 1Jn 3:2
We believe those scriptures apply ONLY to 144,000 individuals.

• And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to? The 144,000 will be changed from humans (with flesh and blood bodies) to spirits (with spirit bodies, like God, Jesus and the angels have).
  • what will he be doing into eternity? Mankind [humans] will spend eternity living in perfect happiness on earth. The 144,000 will rule with Jesus for 1000 years and thereafter spend eternity in heaven.
  • What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection? There will be two resurrections: mankinds "role" is to receive one.
  • And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection? Die and not be incorrigibly wicked for life on earth. Be a born again chosen Christian for life in heaven.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am
So, what does that mean in relation to the above question?
  • It means a person should try not to be wicked.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:40 am [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #4]
2timothy316:
To propagate a physical universe with life beyond Heavenly life.
I assume you are referring to this verse, Isa 51:16  And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people. 

To propagate a physical universe? The entire universe? With what? How will God propagate the Universe?

Soj
Isaiah 45:18 "For this is what Jehovah says,
The Creator of the heavens, the true God,
The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it,
Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited:"

We don't know what the rest of the universe is for yet. Jehovah God is at rest from creation right now. "He began to rest on the seventh day from all his work that he had been doing." Gen 2:2.
Note it says that He began to rest from His works. This verse comes right after the creation of the the Earth. This seems to imply two things, 1. That Jehovah is still resting today from creating new life. 2. There could be another creative period in the future. There is nothing to guarantee that though. The Bible is for getting faithful people through the sad state mankind is in and not to inform us in detail about the future of the whole universe.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #14

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:47 am
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am If that is God's extended plan, why not get right to that part and save mankind from itself?
There were some major issues that needed to be settled.

JW
Issues that don't just concern mankind either, but all creation on both the Earth and Heaven. Also not just to settle the past and present but the future as well. All the things going wrong now, once they are corrected, will never happen again. Those things will pass away, in other words, the problems in the world will 'die'.

"And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.” Rev 21:4

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by PinSeeker »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm ...what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind? Why did God create Him?
For His own glory. God's chief end is to glorify Himself. Everything He does is for that purpose. However, it's not merely a selfish thing and thus sinful, as some might think.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm What is the purpose of his existence on this Earth at this time?
The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. This has also been stated thusly: to glorify God by enjoying Him forever.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm What do you believe is the role of mankind in the resurrection?
To be... resurrected... :) Our spirits will be reunited with our resurrected physical bodies (those not physically alive at that time of Jesus's return, anyway). But all will be resurrected, some to eternal redemption and some to eternal judgment.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?
He will no longer be capable of sin. They will truly glorify God and (by) enjoy(ing) Him forever.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm And what do you believe is the criteria to attain that resurrection?
Life in Christ, God the Son, given by God the Spirit, of the immutable will of the God the Father. In this world, because of the new life given, it will inevitably be evidenced by faith and repentance. And good works are the evidence of that faith.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm What will prevent him from receiving his reward?
One's remaining dead in his/her trespasses -- which is his/her natural-born condition -- not having received new life in Christ by the Spirit by the will of the Father. In that case, he/she will have never been given faith and subsequently repented of his/her sin. The person may still do good works from time to time, but works not proceeding from God-given faith are, while "nice" -- and even a benefit to others -- of no avail. He/she will remain dead, forever.
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm What do you base your beliefs, regarding mankind, on?
Sola Scriptura, my friend. God's holy, infallible, inerrant Word. The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the Word of our God endures/stands forever.

Grace and peace to you.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by 2timothy316 »

PinSeeker wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am
Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm ...what, do you believe, is the purpose for the creation of mankind? Why did God create Him?
For His own glory. God's chief end is to glorify Himself. Everything He does is for that purpose. However, it's not merely a selfish thing and thus sinful, as some might think.
This is an oxymoron, unscriptural and thus incorrect.

Who did God have to prove His glory to before Satan wrecked mankind and Heaven with lies? No one.

“God is love.”—1 John 4:16
That is why He does anything.

The same reason Jehovah God made mankind is the same reason He sent His Son to save mankind? Note the scripture.
“For God [wanted to glorify Himself to] the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Well that doesn't sound right.
That is not what my Bible says. Mine says:
“For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life."

The glorification, vindication and clearing of God's name is very important and our salvation is intertwined with the glorification of His name, but it was not the reason for the creation of mankind.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #17

Post by myth-one.com »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm And what do you believe, at his "change" that he will be changed to?
PinSeeker wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am He will no longer be capable of sin.
Sin is the transgression of God's laws, or commandments:
I John 3:4 wrote:For sin is the transgression of the law.
As long as God gives commandments and the beings He created have the freedom to obey or disobey those laws, sin will always be an option.

So which case will it be?

Will the commandments from God go away?

Or will our freedom of choice go away?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by PinSeeker »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am
PinSeeker wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am
This is an oxymoron, unscriptural and thus incorrect.
LOL!!!
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am Who did God have to prove His glory to before Satan wrecked mankind and Heaven with lies? No one.
I agree. I'm not even sure where such a question like that would even come from. I fail to see how that question would even be spurred from what I said, quite frankly.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am “God is love.”—1 John 4:16
That is why He does anything.
Well, it's His nature, which is the guides everything He does, for sure. This does nothing to diminish the fact that everything He does brings glory to Himself.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am The same reason Jehovah God made mankind is the same reason He sent His Son to save mankind? Note the scripture.
I know Scripture very well, thank you. Not to be boastful, but yeah.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am “For God [wanted to glorify Himself to] the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Well that doesn't sound right.
I agree that it "doesn't sound right," but that's because with this statement, you're making two errors:
  • 1. You're conflating the salvation of man with the creation of man and thus making an equivalency absurdity regarding 1 John 4:16. Like I said, God does what He does because love is God's nature, whole, complete, and entire. One's nature is what guides actions. We have to make a differentiation between creation and salvation, which is what John 3:16 is all about. Observe:
    • Regarding creation: God created everything out of nothing in order to put His glory on display for the delight of His created beings and that they might declare His greatness.
    • Regarding salvation: God sending Jesus was -- to put it mildly -- an act of love, for sure. But again, this does nothing to diminish the fact that in so doing, He glorified Himself. Yes, or course, because God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, so that no one might perish but have everlasting life. But again, in so doing, He glorified -- brought glory to -- Himself.
  • 2. You're failing to recognize that regarding salvation alone, God has a purpose regarding Himself as well as a purpose regarding man. Again, as I said, the fact that God sent the Son for man's salvation was a loving act toward man does not diminish in any way the fact that in doing so, He brought glory to Himself.
Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am As long as God gives commandments and the beings He created have the freedom to obey or disobey those laws, sin will always be an option. So which case will it be? Will the commandments from God go away? Or will our freedom of choice go away?
The commandments will remain, for sure. But it's not about "freedom," or any lack thereof. It's about the fact that we'll finally be wholly and completely redeemed, renewed, and glorified. That being the case, we will therefore not be inclined in any way whatsoever to sin but completely against it. Therefore, we will be incapable of sin from that time forth and forevermore.

Grace and peace to you, myth-one.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #20

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:10 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am As long as God gives commandments and the beings He created have the freedom to obey or disobey those laws, sin will always be an option. So which case will it be? Will the commandments from God go away? Or will our freedom of choice go away?
The commandments will remain, for sure. But it's not about "freedom," or any lack thereof. It's about the fact that we'll finally be wholly and completely redeemed, renewed, and glorified. That being the case, we will therefore not be inclined in any way whatsoever to sin but completely against it. Therefore, we will be incapable of sin from that time forth and forevermore.

Grace and peace to you, myth-one.
1) God's laws will still exist.
2) Disobeying God's law is sin.
3) Born again Christians may choose to obey or disobey God's law.
4) Therefore, they will be incapable of committing any sin eternally.

That's how it works?