Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

earl
Scholar

Jesus Receives His Authority

Post #1

Post by earl »

Mt.28.18
Who on Earth has given their authority to Jesus?
Jesus is now entrusted with someone's power and authority who Jesus implies is on Earth.
Who is it?

tam
Savant

Re: Jesus Receives His Authority

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
earl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm Mt.28.18
Jesus is now entrusted with someone's power and authority who Jesus implies is on Earth.
Who is it?
I think you might be misunderstanding something about the verse.

Then [Jesus] came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Christ says here that He has been given all authority (in heaven and on earth). He does not say that someone on earth gave that to Him. It simply means that He now HAS (possesses) all authority (in both heaven and upon the earth).

His Father is the One who gave Him this.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

earl
Scholar

Post #3

Post by earl »

tam,
Lets split the statement.
There is authority in heaven and there is authority and on earth.
If there was no authority on the earth when Jesus spoke authority "and on earth " should not have been included or stated.
If it were written "authority over ,on ,in heaven and earth" then i could agree
And you are not definitive when you say i might misunderstand.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

earl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm Mt.28.18
Who is it?
He is the Father, who is not on earth but in heaven.

Scripture is quite clear about this.

1 Peter 3:22

Christ has gone to heaven where he has the highest position that God gives. Angels, rulers, and powers have been placed under his authority. (God's Word version)

Ephesians 1:

19 and His incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength
20 He exerted when He raised Christ from the dead and seated him at His right hand in the heavenly realms,

21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

Because the three members of the Triune Godhead are one in essence, they are share the same attributes and purpose. However, they have different roles. When Jesus came to earth as God Incarnate, he came to implement and effect the means of salvation for humanity. In doing so, he set aside all the rights and privileges that he had as God the Son, the second person of the Triune Godhead, to live as a man. We read this in Phil. 2:7: "He made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." That means he also set aside his authority, choosing to do what God the Father told him to do on earth in his role of God-man, our Saviour.

It is with regard to that role, that God the Father gave Jesus authority upon his resurrection. God the Father gives God the Son the authority to be Redeemer of humankind. It was a new role, a role that belonged to Christ alone as God Incarnate and, therefore, we are talking about a new authority, a type of authority that no one had ever had previously and no one else will ever have subsequently.

Bottom line: The giving of authority to God the Son by God the Father does not make Jesus a lesser being. Both are ontologically one, identical in every way. But Christ's role differed from that of the Father and of the Holy Spirit and it is in his role as God-man that he received authority. Prior to this, in his pre-Incarnate existence, Jesus held the same authority as God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. However, as I explained, this was a new authority given to Jesus after his death and resurrection as God Incarnate. It was the authority of Redeemer.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Overcomer in post #5]
That sounds a lot like human philosophy ... but there's nothing biblical about it ... not even logical. It is impossible to digest the idea that someone who receives from above is equal to his superior.

John 14:28 You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by PinSeeker »

Great post, Overcomer. I would, though -- really in response to what Eloi has said -- say that there is authority here on earth, temporally speaking. I don't think you would disagree with that. But as in another current thread, the real bottom line is not being seen here... or at least that seems to be the case. As Paul says in Romans 13, there is no authority except from God, and those (authorities) that exist have been instituted by God. This is an interesting thing to talk about.

Grace and peace to all.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm [Replying to Overcomer in post #5]
That sounds a lot like human philosophy ... but there's nothing biblical about it ... not even logical. It is impossible to digest the idea that someone who receives from above is equal to his superior.

John 14:28 You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am.
In saying that "the Father is greater than I," Jesus means that the Father as the One Who sends and commands is "greater" in authority and leadership than the Son. This does not mean, though, that Jesus is inferior in His being and essence to the Father, as John 1:1, 10:30, and 20:28 clearly refute that notion. So, it's not "impossible to digest" at all, but some do -- because of predisposition to certain conclusions -- refuse to digest it. But this too is a work of the Holy Spirit, as I said in another current thread. Again, Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 2 are prescient and instructive here:
  • "...these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned."
Grace and peace to you.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Eloi »

Well, Pinseeker, your post is as "human philosophy" as the other one.

This is what the Bible says in the inspired words of Peter to the Jews:

Acts 2:36 " ...Therefore, let all the house of Israel know for a certainty that God made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you executed on a stake.”

On another occasion, after having healed a lame man, Peter said again to the Jews:

Acts 3:12 (...) “Men of Israel, why are you so amazed at this, and why are you staring at us as though by personal power or godly devotion we have made him walk? 13 The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus, whom you handed over and disowned before Pilate, even though he had decided to release him. 14 Yes, you disowned that holy and righteous one, and you asked for a man who was a murderer to be given to you, 15 whereas you killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses. 16 And through his name, and by our faith in his name, this man whom you see and know has been made strong. The faith that is through him has made this man completely healthy in front of all of you. 17 And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, just as your rulers also did. 18 But in this way God has fulfilled the things he announced beforehand through the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer.
19 “Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out, so that seasons of refreshing may come from Jehovah himself 20 and he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus. 21 Heaven must hold this one within itself until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets of old. 22 In fact, Moses said: ‘Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to whatever he tells you. 23 Indeed, anyone who does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.’ 24 And all the prophets from Samuel and those who followed him, as many as have spoken, have also plainly declared these days. 25 You are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant that God made with your forefathers, saying to Abraham: ‘And by means of your offspring all the families of the earth will be blessed.’ 26 God, after raising up his Servant, sent him to you first to bless you by turning each one of you away from your wicked deeds.”

When the apostles were released from jail shortly after being anointed with holy spirit, they prayed to God as follows:

Acts 4:24 (...) “Sovereign Lord, you are the One who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all the things in them, 25 and who said through holy spirit by the mouth of our forefather David, your servant: ‘Why did nations become agitated and peoples meditate on empty things? 26 The kings of the earth took their stand and the rulers gathered together as one against Jehovah and against his anointed one.’ 27 For truly both Herod and Pontius Pilate with men of the nations and with peoples of Israel were gathered together in this city against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, 28 to do what your hand and counsel had determined beforehand to occur. 29 And now, Jehovah, give attention to their threats, and grant to your slaves to keep speaking your word with all boldness, 30 while you stretch out your hand for healing and while signs and wonders occur through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”

THAT is not human philosophy ... THAT IS the Word of God. Does it tell you anything about who is God and who is Jesus?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm Well, Pinseeker, your post is as "human philosophy" as the other one.
Rest assured that what you think is directed right back at you, my friend. I see in you the very thing you think you see in me.

I do agree with you, though, that all words recorded in the Bible written by Peter are most certainly God-breathed. The problem is the "version" you read from, among other things. "Chief Agent" (rather than "Author") in reference to Jesus (Acts 3:15)? And "said through holy spirit" (rather than "said by the Holy Spirit"), with regard to words spiritually spoken to David by the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:25)? Both are terrible manglings of the Greek, and very purposeful, to support a preconceived (false) agenda. And you follow after that. It's a little different, I guess, but in the end, a very similar lens.

Grace and peace to you.