Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7954
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

What was special about Jesus's sacrifice and in contrast why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Also was Jesus perfect?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7954
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #81

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm [Replying to Miles in post #74]

To add a little to the discussion......when Jesus said "the Kingdom of the heavens is at hand," couldn't he have meant that HE, as the King designate of that Kingdom, was there, "at hand"? Just like he said, "The Kingdom is in your midst." (Luke 17:21) There he was, the representative of the Kingdom, which would come many centuries later.
Jesus, the King, brought the kingdom with Him and it has been growing ever since.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7954
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #82

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #71]

At the time I was pondering the nature of good and the nature of sacrifice and they seem to me then and now to be entwined.

Helping someone is good, helping someone means sacrificing helping myself.

A simple counter-example would disabuse me of that notion.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #83

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 am
Miles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm Yes, in this particular instance I know what Jesus was thinking.
Emphasis MINE

Interesting claim: You KNOW what someone 2,000 years age was thinking at a particular moment in time.

Can you prove your claim? (I am not interested in conjecture, opinion and I am certaintly not interested in your beliefs). I am requesting verifiable proof of your claim. Do you have any, other than in your imagination?
Proof is only found in mathematics and formal logic, and in as much as neither is applicable to my claim as it stands I guess I gotta leave you hanging. I've already given you my reason so take it or not...... Mox nix. :mrgreen:


.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18072
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 658 times
Contact:

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #84

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:20 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 am
Miles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm Yes, in this particular instance I know what Jesus was thinking.
Emphasis MINE

Interesting claim: You KNOW what someone 2,000 years age was thinking at a particular moment in time.

Can you prove your claim? (I am not interested in conjecture, opinion and I am certaintly not interested in your beliefs). I am requesting verifiable proof of your claim. Do you have any, other than in your imagination?
Proof is only found in mathematics and formal logic... {snip: evasion}


.

.... And science. Anyway I take that as a "no"; ie. you cannot prove your claim. Everything else is just gravy; I dont feel like any gravy today.


Thanks for playing

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #85

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:41 pm
Miles wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:20 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 am
Miles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm Yes, in this particular instance I know what Jesus was thinking.
Emphasis MINE

Interesting claim: You KNOW what someone 2,000 years age was thinking at a particular moment in time.

Can you prove your claim? (I am not interested in conjecture, opinion and I am certaintly not interested in your beliefs). I am requesting verifiable proof of your claim. Do you have any, other than in your imagination?
Proof is only found in mathematics and formal logic... {snip: evasion}


.

.... And science. Anyway I take that as a "no"... {snip: irrelevancy}
And, wherever else math and formal logic logic are used. A conclusion has to be be framed either in mathematics or formal logic to qualify as proof, whether in science or elsewhere, unless, of course, you're talking about grade-school "So's your old man" taunts.

And take my reply any way you wish. As I said, "Mox nix." :mrgreen:




.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18072
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 658 times
Contact:

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #86

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm

And take my reply any way you wish.
Thank you, then I take it that you made an outrageous claim: to actually KNOW what someone was thinking 2000 years ago. Not "believe" not "deduce", not "conclude"... to KNOW.

When asked for proof instead of gracefully backing down (or even back peddling) and rephrasing you repeated you claim, which amounts to having supernatural powers of being able to read the mind of a man that died before you were born.


On the positive side I can now bookmark your post as to how you use the word KNOW should I care in future to say "I know there is a God". As my Australian friends would say "You'll keep". For now, I'll let you off the hook.

I "know" you have enjoyed this conversation as much as I have. And please, have a fabulous day,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #87

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:47 pm
Miles wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm

And take my reply any way you wish.
Thank you, then I take it that you made an outrageous claim: to actually KNOW what someone was thinking 2000 years ago. Not "believe" not "deduce", not "conclude"... to KNOW.

...................................Image



When asked for proof instead of gracefully backing down (or even back peddling) and rephrasing you[r] repeated you claim . .

..............................Image
.........................................................I Corrected you [-X



On the positive side I can now bookmark your post as to how you use the word KNOW should I care in future to say "I know there is a God". As my Australian friends would say "You'll keep". For now, I'll let you off the hook.

I "know" you have enjoyed this conversation as much as I have. And please, have a fabulous day,


.....................Image

................................."Off The Hook" said the Pot to the Kettle



Take care.


.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #88

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 pm...as I see it a perfect person wouldn't make a mistake, which Jesus did.
What "mistake" did Jesus make?
When he said:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

because the generation did pass and "all these things" were not fulfilled.


.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18072
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 431 times
Been thanked: 658 times
Contact:

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #89

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 pm...as I see it a perfect person wouldn't make a mistake, which Jesus did.
What "mistake" did Jesus make?
When he said:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

because the generation did pass and "all these things" were not fulfilled.


.






The generation Jesus was referring to will NOT pass until "all these things" He mentioned are fulfilled.




JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3353
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 927 times

Re: Why were none of the previous sacrifices to God sufficient?

Post #90

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:43 am
Miles wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 pm...as I see it a perfect person wouldn't make a mistake, which Jesus did.
What "mistake" did Jesus make?
When he said:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

because the generation did pass and "all these things" were not fulfilled.


.

The generation Jesus was referring to will NOT pass until "all these things" He mentioned are fulfilled.


Obviously you're reading right past the:

Matthew 24:34
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.


.

Post Reply