Jesus Sacrificing His Life

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Jesus Sacrificing His Life

Post #1

Post by Miles »

In several threads I've seen here it's been said that Jesus sacrificed his life so that those who "believed in him" would gain salvation.

That a person will gain salvation is not in question, but rather the claim that Jesus, the Son of god, sacrificed, his life.

Sacrifice
verb
1. to willingly give up something one would otherwise rather keep.

"In terms of Jesus' sacrifice, anyone familiar with the Bible will first think of His sacrificial death at Calvary to atone for the sins of mankind. His crucifixion was indeed the greatest act of sacrifice in the history of the world, a perfect demonstration of His own teaching in John 15:13,"

source

Looking at the pre-existence of Jesus some say, ". . . from all eternity the Son has been enjoying the love and glory that he shares with God the Father."
source
which is as good a claim as any. Then god sent his Son down to earth where he was incarnated as Jesus in main to die for man's sins. After that was accomplished the Son returned to god where he now sits on his right hand. As sort of an analogy, it's like an American going to France for a year where he expends his energy working for the the government, and then returns to the USA to resume his life. Essentially no change in the guy from before he went to France to after he came back.

As a form of god Jesus certainly had to know what he would be doing on earth, including orchestrating events so as to be crucified. So, my question is, where is the sacrifice Jesus was supposed to have made? Everything went as he wanted them to go: swimmingly.

So, is this about it, Jesus's death was no "greatest act of sacrifice in the history of the world," or even any sacrifice at all, OR have I missed something here?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Jesus Sacrificing His Life

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

DavidLeon wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 am It's incidental. His life wasn't being sacrificed, his blood was.
Yes, we all know people who survive for +/- 2,000 years without blood.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by DavidLeon »

Tcg wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:27 am
DavidLeon wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 am It's incidental. His life wasn't being sacrificed, his blood was.
Yes, we all know people who survive for +/- 2,000 years without blood.
That's like me saying we all know no one has evolved from an ape in the last 2,000 years. Jesus existed in heaven before the universe was created and he had no blood all that time. He existed there after his resurrection without blood.
I no longer post here

Miles
Savant

Post #33

Post by Miles »

tam wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm Peace again to you,
Miles wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:37 pm
tam wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 pm Peace to you,
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm

In several threads I've seen here it's been said that Jesus sacrificed his life so that those who "believed in him" would gain salvation.

That a person will gain salvation is not in question, but rather the claim that Jesus, the Son of god, sacrificed, his life.

Sacrifice
verb
1. to willingly give up something one would otherwise rather keep.
On the night He was arrested:

He (Christ) took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee and began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. 38Then He said to them, My soul is consumed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with Me. 39Going a little farther, He fell facedown and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me. Yet not as I will, but as You will.

Doesn't sound to me like He wanted to go through what was about to happen to Him. But He still did it, putting His Father's will before even His own will:

He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
Out of curiosity, where does he say this?

Sorry, Matthew 26:38, 39, 42
Thanks.

In light of all the certitude and acceptance Jesus expressed of his upcoming demise in many of the preceding verses these remarks are a bit odd. Although, it's said the cup mentioned in V. 39 & 42 was a symbol of suffering, which is what Jesus was asking god to spare him from; suffering on the cross.

Miles
Savant

Post #34

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:36 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm As sort of an analogy, it's like an American going to France for a year where he expends his energy working for the the government, and then returns to the USA to resume his life. Essentially no change in the guy from before he went to France to after he came back.
This is not an accurate analogy.
Which is why I said it was "sort of an analogy."

Miles
Savant

Post #35

Post by Miles »

tam wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:33 pm Peace again to you,
Miles wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pm It was against Judaic law.

Which law is that?
Your wiki blurb does not mention it.
Don't know. I'm just repeating what I read.

bjs1
Sage

Post #36

Post by bjs1 »

Miles wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 am
bjs1 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:36 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm As sort of an analogy, it's like an American going to France for a year where he expends his energy working for the the government, and then returns to the USA to resume his life. Essentially no change in the guy from before he went to France to after he came back.
This is not an accurate analogy.
Which is why I said it was "sort of an analogy."

Which is why I provided a more accurate, though still imperfect, analogy which points out how Jesus’ actions were a sacrifice.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin