Who Started That Lie For the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Who Started That Lie For the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Post #1

Post by jimtatertayte »

Evil was around before money.

Who Started That Lie for the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

bjs1
Sage

Re: Who Started That Lie For the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Post #21

Post by bjs1 »

jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 am Evil was around before money.

Who Started That Lie for the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?
I assume that this is a reference to 1 Timothy 6:10. Given the structure of the sentence, a more accurate translation is, “For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils.”

The distinction is subtle but important. Paul did not write all evil comes from the love of money, but that all kinds of evils – that is, many different sinful actions – come from the love of money.

However, I grant that the King James Version (root of all evil) has a more poetic ring to it, which is probably why it is the version more people remember.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Purple Knight »

I don't think it's a lie, but I think it's more accurate to say that greed is the root of all evil. Greed was just vastly limited before money.

Why does Gronk bash Gruk over the head and kill him? It's because Gronk wants more. He wants more status, more meat, more females, more of something that Gruk going away will bring him.

Now this may sound controversial but the only other reason to do it, is that Gruk might have been legitimately abusing, tormenting, or otherwise making miserable the existence of Gronk, and in that case I don't think the act of killing Gruk is evil. It may count as evil to Christians but not me.

To me, it's greed, or it's somehow justified.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm I don't think it's a lie, but I think it's more accurate to say that greed is the root of all evil.
Yes this is the point. It is the LOVE of money above all else that leads to injury. Here is the scripture in context and in modern language.

"But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains." 1 Tim 6:9, 10

It says those that are determined to be rich are vulnerable to a trap. People act 'senselessly' and to pursue it as a priority is a harmful desire that can lead to destruction and ruin. Examine the history of the Great Depression for a clue about a trap that can lead to destruction and ruin.

Many translations say the 'root of all kinds of evil'. Few say the 'root of ALL evil'. Money is obviously not the root of ALL evil.
https://biblehub.com/1_timothy/6-10.htm

Hebrews 13:5 says, "Let your way of life be free of the love of money, while you are content with the present things. For he has said: “I will never leave you, and I will never abandon you.”

When we put the gain of money above all else there will be problems.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #24

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:39 pm The money tree...should the root be examined for the soil it is rooted in?

Perhaps for those who do not have much of it money appears to be evil but is it not really the actions of those with money, which is what the poor are pointing at?

And the association then made...IF money is a common denominator in relation to the evil actions of human beings THEN is not money the cause of their evil?
No, as I said, it is the LOVE of money that is the cause of evil deeds. It is not the money itself.