Who Started That Lie For the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Who Started That Lie For the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Post #1

Post by jimtatertayte »

Evil was around before money.

Who Started That Lie for the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Miles
Savant

Re: Who Started That Lie For the love of Money is the Root of All Evil?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 pm The origin of my lack of belief is the lack of convincing evidence. If god exists then let him bring it on, because so far I haven't seen any.
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm If He did not exist you would not be an atheist.
Checkmate.
Sorry, but the correct phrasing is: "If people didn't believe he existed I would not be an atheist."... Image... It takes theists to make an atheist, not any god. But then *sigh* I'm repeating myself.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by The Tanager »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 pm The origin of my lack of belief is the lack of convincing evidence. If god exists then let him bring it on, because so far I haven't seen any.
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm If He did not exist you would not be an atheist.
Checkmate.

9. No unconstructive one-liners posts are allowed in debates.

Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the Thank button. For anything else use PM.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:18 am
Checkmate.
Sorry, but the correct phrasing is: "If people didn't believe he existed I would not be an atheist."... Image... It takes theists to make an atheist, not any god. But then *sigh* I'm repeating myself.

I look at both of your arguments as I would two houses built to look the same but with made of different materials. In other words, the ideological statements made are based mostly on what is preferred to be believed. The facts and reference material are irrelevant to both sides. The two 'books' where these two ideologies come from are largely ignored, 1. the Bible and 2. the physical world around us. They only serve to be cherry picked to support a personal belief. The two ideologies I'm reading here are the result of personal speculation. It's like looking at two peas in pod.

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #14

Post by jimtatertayte »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:12 am
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:02 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 am Evil was around before money.

JehovahsWitness wrote: You tell me...
Boy, two people who don't know their way around the Bible and need an atheist to bring them up to speed. ;)

It was the apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 6:10. It's a rather stupid remark, but then Paul said a lot of goofy stuff.

If it were not for God you would not be an atheist.
Sooo misguided. There doesn't have to be a god for people to believe in one. Fact is, if it was not for theists I would not be an atheist. It's only because some people believe there's a god that atheism exists.

It all has to do with belief, NOT any actual existence.

the·ism
/ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun: theism
belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.

a·the·ism
/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun: atheism
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

God is the origin of your lack of belief that He exist.
And isn't that nice of him. Guess I'm simply not worthy of his quirky sense of equity; holding back credible evidence and all.
jimtatertayte wrote: If not then prove who or what is the origin of your lack of belief
in His existence.
The origin of my lack of belief is the lack of convincing evidence. If god exists then let him bring it on, because so far I haven't seen any.

Therefore as I said, God is the origin of your lack of belief that He exist for you admit
that He has withheld from you no convincing evidence to make you believe in Him.
Sorry you missed my "if," but that's okay,

Have a nice day.

I never miss anything. If you cannot see the mark , you are the mark.

IAMinyou
Student

Post #15

Post by IAMinyou »

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was forbidden to eat from but no human being can stop themselves from eating of it's fruit. Only created MEN ( male and female ) were created in the Tree of Life a very long time ago.

Avoice
Guru

Post #16

Post by Avoice »

Ask the church on Sunday as they pass the collection plate around. On what they believe is the Sabbath! Shame on them.

The church....they don't even respect God's Sabbath. Instead they worship in Sunday. Emperor Constantine chose that day. And Christians continue this day obeying Constantine and not God. Sabbath isn't Sunday.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

jimtatertayte wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm
To which brings us back to the fact that it is God that is the reason why you are an atheist.
If He did not exist you would not be an atheist.
This isn't even close to being valid. A God need not exist for some humans to believe one does.

All that is needed to be a theist is to believe a god/gods exists.

All that is needed to be an atheist is to lack that belief.

Your claim is the equivalent to saying the only reason some lack belief in the tooth fairy is because the tooth fairy exists. It's an absurdity. It would make for an interest world I suppose. A plethora of wild and woolly beast would exist.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to jimtatertayte in post #11]

I think it's important to connect with Job's Book in this context. In our days, money is an expression of work completed. If the money was translated into cattle and sheep, there would be a lot of glory.
The thing is, it's important to keep God highest and not dance around the golden calf for the sake of money itself! Good? :D

Book of Job, Bible study tools: https://www.biblestudytools.com/job/.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #19

Post by onewithhim »

The sense of it is this: "The love of money is the root of all sorts of evil." I think that is the idea that the King James translators had in mind.

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

The money tree...should the root be examined for the soil it is rooted in?

Perhaps for those who do not have much of it money appears to be evil but is it not really the actions of those with money, which is what the poor are pointing at?

And the association then made...IF money is a common denominator in relation to the evil actions of human beings THEN is not money the cause of their evil?