Biblical Morality

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Biblical Morality

Post #1

Post by Miles »

"1. According to the Bible I understand that I am free to own slaves. Naturally, I must abide by God’s perfect laws on how to beat them, how to sell them and how to pass them to my children when I die.
Now the Bible says I can buy slaves from strangers but I live in a city where almost everyone is a stranger. Does this mean I can buy from anyone, or does it mean I can only buy from foreigners, like the Canadians or Mexicans?

2. I have two unmarried daughters. If either of them should be raped in the countryside, I know she will have to marry her rapist and may never get divorced but I was just wondering about the penalty the rapist should pay. The Bible says 50 Shekels of silver but should we take account of inflation? And how much would that be in dollars?

3. If I buy a man’s daughter as a sex slave and if she is no good in bed, I know I can pass her on to my son. But, if she fails to please my son too, I am obliged to sell her back to her father. In this case, should I insist on getting a full refund, or is there a discount for wear and tear?

4. My son does sometimes go out with his friends drinking and from time-to-time answers me back. Reading the holy scriptures, I see I have been too lenient with him. Next time it happens, I’ll take him to the outskirts of the town with some other men and we’ll stone him to death. I see now that is the most moral thing to do.
But the Bible is a bit scant on details, it doesn’t advise what size stones to throw at him. Small ones would allow him to suffer longer and large ones would get the job done quicker. Can Bible experts offer any advice?

5. My neighbor is a doctor in a hospital, and I often see him sneaking out of the house on the Sabbath to go to work. I know I should stone him to death for this evil but there are so few stones in my locality. Would it be acceptable to beat him to death with a baseball bat?

6. Most legal systems in the world presume people are innocent until proven guilty but the Bible has it the other way round—we are presumed guilty from birth. Should we incorporate that Biblical principle into U.S. law?"
source

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Biblical Morality

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm .

"1. According to the Bible I understand that I am free to own slaves. Naturally, I must abide by God’s perfect laws on how to beat them,
If you did abide by God’s perfect laws you would not beat them at all.

Does the bible say slave owners were allowed to beat their slaves to death?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 27#p764027

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Miles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm

2. I have two unmarried daughters. If either of them should be raped in the countryside, I know she will have to marry her rapist and may never get divorced ...

Inaccurate.
- you don't live 3000 years who under the Mosaic las system

- even if you did she would not be obliged to marry her rapist unless you made her. Why would you do such a thing?

RELATED POSTS

Why was a woman required to scream if she were threatened with rape under the Mosaic law?
viewtopic.php?p=764030#p764030

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

WOMEN, SLAVERY and ...THE MOSAIC LAW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Miles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm ...The Bible says 50 Shekels of silver but should we take account of inflation? And how much would that be in dollars?

$456

A shekel was 11.4 g / 0.367 oz (0.80 x 11,4) x 50

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

3. If I buy a man’s daughter as a sex slave and if she is no good in bed, I know I can pass her on to my son. But, if she fails to please my son too, I am obliged to sell her back to her father.
If you did any of that under bible law you would find yourself before a judge pretty quickly, at best you will risk a fine at worst you (or your son) would risk being executed.

- selling or buying someone for sex was illegal under the Mosaic law
- anyone that slept with an unmarried virgin had to either marry her or pay her compensation
- if he married her he could never divorce her.
- it was illegal to sell or prostitute your wife to anyone including a family member
- it was prohibited to have sex with your father's wife
- sleeping with another man's wife was a capital offense

Miles wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm In this case, should I insist on getting a full refund, or is there a discount for wear and tear?
Dead men don't get refunds

Any questions?

RELATED POSTS

Biblical what was the status of a concubine?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 60#p780360
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 53#p780653

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

WOMEN, SLAVERY and ...., CHILD ABUSE/SEX SLAVERY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

4. My son does sometimes go out with his friends drinking and from time-to-time answers me back. Reading the holy scriptures, I see I have been too lenient with him. Next time it happens, I’ll take him to the outskirts of the town with some other men and we’ll stone him to death.
If you did that you and your friend would be tried for murder. Drunkeness was not a capital offense, neither was answering back to one's parents.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

... the Bible is a bit scant on details, it doesn’t advise what size stones to throw at him. Small ones would allow him to suffer longer and large ones would get the job done quicker. Can Bible experts offer any advice?

This is probably because it prohibits premeditated murder such as you propose above. I do not claim to be an expert and even if I were I would never advice anyone on such unlawful killing.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

5. My neighbor is a doctor in a hospital, and I often see him sneaking out of the house on the Sabbath to go to work. I know I should stone him to death for this evil but there are so few stones in my locality. Would it be acceptable to beat him to death with a baseball bat?
Neither. If you believe a crime has been committed you should report it to the legally recognised authorities of the land in which you live and let the legal system do its job. That was true in bible times and that is true today.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:08 pm
... the Bible is a bit scant on details, it doesn’t advise what size stones to throw at him. Small ones would allow him to suffer longer and large ones would get the job done quicker. Can Bible experts offer any advice?

This is probably because it prohibits premeditated murder such as you propose above. I do not claim to be an expert and even if I were I would never advice anyone on such unlawful killing.
There is a little matter of "bring him out to the elders" isn't there, before one just starts slinging stones eh? ;)
(Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

6. Most legal systems in the world presume people are innocent until proven guilty but the Bible has it the other way round—we are presumed guilty from birth. Should we incorporate that Biblical principle into U.S. law?"
source[/indent]

I think you are confusing religious law with criminal procedure. The Mosaic law, like many law sysems today, presumed innocence of criminal activity. Religious or sacrimonial impurity had nothing to do with crimiality.

Feel free to try and prove me wrong.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:08 pm

There is a little matter of "bring him out to the elders" isn't there, before one just starts slinging stones eh? ;)
(Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

Exactly, this ridiculous implication one could simply go about stoning neighbours and family members without due process, is grossly misleading.

And not even funny Unless one is the Monty Python team and mocking the Pharisees and the religious fanaticism they emboodied in which case it is quite funny. But they were clever !