The The Killing of Saul And The Veracity Of The Bible

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

The The Killing of Saul And The Veracity Of The Bible

Post #1

Post by Miles »

The authors of First and Second Samuel, and First Chronicles decidedly disagree on who killed Saul, the first king of Israel, which doesn't speak well of the veracity of the Bible at all. So, can you sort it out and come up with a good explanation of the true culprit?

Your choices

Saul did it.
1 Samuel 31:4
4 Saul told the boy who carried his armor, “Take your sword and kill me or else these foreigners will do it and torment me as well!” But Saul’s helper was afraid and refused to kill him. So Saul took out his own sword and fell on it.
------------------------------------------
An Amalekite did it
2 Samuel 1:6 -10
6 The young soldier said, “I happened to be on Mount Gilboa. I saw Saul leaning on his spear. The Philistine chariots and horse soldiers were coming closer and closer to Saul. 7 Saul looked back and saw me. He called to me and I answered him. 8 Then Saul asked me who I was. I told him that I was an Amalekite. 9 Then Saul said, ‘Please kill me. I am hurt badly. And I am about to die anyway.’ 10 He was hurt so badly that I knew he wouldn’t live. So I stopped and killed him. Then I took the crown from his head and the bracelet from his arm and brought them here to you, my lord.”
-------------------------------------------------
The Philistines did it
2 Samuel 21:12
12 And David went and took the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from the men of Jabeshgilead, which had stolen them from the street of Bethshan, where the Philistines had hanged them, when the Philistines had slain Saul in Gilboa:
-------------------------------------------------
The Lord did it
1 Chronicles 10:13-14
13 Saul died because he was not faithful to the Lord. He did not obey the Lord’s word. Saul also went to a medium and asked her for advice 14 instead of asking the Lord. That is why the Lord killed Saul and gave the kingdom to Jesse’s son David.

Miles
Savant

Re: The The Killing of Saul And The Veracity Of The Bible

Post #11

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:37 pm I have already addressed those points (HERES the link)
viewtopic.php?p=1023922#p1023922

Was there anything non repetitive you wished to ask?
Don't care to ask you anything. Just wanted to show you how you really went astray here. :joy:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:44 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:37 pm I have already addressed those points (HERES the link)
viewtopic.php?p=1023922#p1023922

Was there anything non repetitive you wished to ask?
Don't care to ask you anything.

Okay Well then I have but to wish you a most excellent and enjoyable week.

I'll post some RELATED POSTS since you raised the issue of sickness and death.

Why does God allow suffering?
viewtopic.php?p=908722#p908722
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Miles in post #5]

Saul was a king of ancient Israel. He was promised protection through the kingship so long as the king and Israel did as commanded. (1 Sam 12:14,15) He lost that protection when he began hating Jehovah's commandments. All of the kings that hated Jehovah's commandments didn't live very long. There is even one king, Zimri, that lasted only 7 days as he didn't listen to Jehovah either. Rather than face the army that was coming for him, he like Saul, opted for suicide. (1 Kings 16:8-20)

Was your father given such a promise through the kingship of Israel? Not likely.

All mankind was given a promise, that persists even through death. It's not like the one given to the kings of Israel. It predates the promise to the kings of Israel and is still in effect today.
As long as, like Saul, they don't hate Jehovah God the sovereign of all the universe. Do you know or would you like to know what that promise is?