How are we equal.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

aapatil@cox.net

How are we equal.

Post #1

Post by aapatil@cox.net »

We come in different sizes, shapes and colors. Yet we are equal, because, we have human life, and all human lives are equal because we are all created in the image of God. We must therefore have utmost respect for every human life and love and serve them unconditionally. The Sanskrit word, “namaste”, means, I bow down before the Divine
that is within you. When we become selfish and proud we reject God. When we reject God we loose respect for human life. This leads to injustice and evil in the world. Since the most priced and beautiful creation of God is human life, it is the first target evil attacks. Since human life begins through conjugal love, evil attacks it through the instrument of contraception. Contraception makes conjugal love sterile. Since love always aims to be fruitful, removal of this intent through contraception removes love from conjugal union and converts it to a selfish act. Furthermore, since contraception goes against conception of a new life, it goes against human life. This makes people numb when they destroy human embryos during IVF or kill their babies in the womb through abortion. It also increases divorce, because without true love it is difficult to sustain marriage. This creates a secular culture devoid of true love, leading to abortion, euthanasia and murder. It also creates a culture that makes human being commodities for sexual pleasure.
L

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: How are we equal.

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

aapatil@cox.net wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:53 pm We come in different sizes, shapes and colors. Yet we are equal, because, we have human life, and all human lives are equal because we are all created in the image of God. We must therefore have utmost respect for every human life and love and serve them unconditionally. The Sanskrit word, “namaste”, means, I bow down before the Divine
that is within you. When we become selfish and proud we reject God. When we reject God we loose respect for human life. This leads to injustice and evil in the world. Since the most priced and beautiful creation of God is human life, it is the first target evil attacks. Since human life begins through conjugal love, evil attacks it through the instrument of contraception. Contraception makes conjugal love sterile. Since love always aims to be fruitful, removal of this intent through contraception removes love from conjugal union and converts it to a selfish act. Furthermore, since contraception goes against conception of a new life, it goes against human life. This makes people numb when they destroy human embryos during IVF or kill their babies in the womb through abortion. It also increases divorce, because without true love it is difficult to sustain marriage. This creates a secular culture devoid of true love, leading to abortion, euthanasia and murder. It also creates a culture that makes human being commodities for sexual pleasure.
All humans are equal?

I would answer this way:

All humanity are a creation of God, in His image and likeness.

God treats each of us equally , without injustice and in love. That reflects who He is, more than who we are. He is holy, and He is love.

We humans are equally fallen, and we are equally lost. He came in Jesus to seek and to save the lost, and to stand us on our feet to live forever an abundant life with Him.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

aapatil@cox.net wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:53 pm We come in different sizes, shapes and colors. Yet we are equal, because, we have human life, and all human lives are equal because we are all created in the image of God. We must therefore have utmost respect for every human life and love and serve them unconditionally. The Sanskrit word, “namaste”, means, I bow down before the Divine
L
I disagree. Not all are equal. You said it yourself we're different. Being different means not equal. Now if we talk about the love of some god, I see good people getting jerked around in life and bad people prospering as well. That's not equal as well. Does that mean god doesn't love us equally? Maybe not, but it sure shows favoritism.
this:
We must therefore have utmost respect for every human life and love and serve them unconditionally.
I find offensive. There is absolutely no way I would love people equally. I daily see the terrible things people do to other living things many times for fun/boredom. Those people that do this and are mentally sound, to me, aren't worth anything other than immediate cessation of their life. The only purpose they serve is to cause death destruction and chaos. The planet, as a whole, would be better off without them IMO.
That doesn't mean I go around like Dexter and picking off the bad people (though, TBH, that's not a bad idea). But let's just say if I were God, there'd be A LOT less people on this planet and things would be a lot better than they are currently.
Are we created equally? Maybe in the sense of (if you believe it) God created us and, in some countries, legally (though even in many 1st world countries not all are treated equally under the law). Past that, absolutely not.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by PinSeeker »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am I disagree. Not all are equal.
In your own eyes, right? I get that you're an "agnostic," but let's just say for the sake of discussion that there is a God, and He created everything we see; we are all here because of Him. Are you not projecting your own opinion here on God?
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am Being different means not equal.
No, 'different' is not synonymous or antonymous with 'equal.' 'Different' only has a relationship -- antonymous, of course -- with 'same,' or 'sameness.' I'm sure you're all about equality of men and women (for example), and I have no problem with that; men and women are surely equal, but they are different... not the same. And we can surely say that from any reference point, be it natural or spiritual, scientific, sociological, or... well, any reference point.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am Now if we talk about the love of some god, I see good people getting jerked around in life and bad people prospering as well. That's not equal as well. Does that mean god doesn't love us equally? Maybe not, but it sure shows favoritism.
Is this not human favoritism and/or partiality? Who's doing the "jerking around" of folks, nobspeople? Who? For someone who doesn't believe in God, it seems you sure do a lot of acknowledging of Him, and even projecting human failings -- even sin -- upon Him.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am There is absolutely no way I would love people equally.
Ah yes, so you are acknowledging your own partiality toward people, your own "picking and choosing" for whatever reason according to your own "wisdom" and preference. I see. Case in point. So is this God's fault? Or... yours...? :)
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am I daily see the terrible things people do to other living things many times for fun/boredom. Those people that do this and are mentally sound, to me, aren't worth anything other than immediate cessation of their life. The only purpose they serve is to cause death destruction and chaos. The planet, as a whole, would be better off without them IMO.
Yes, I see. :) So, according to your sense of "justice..." This is how the world should operate. I see. Maybe the concept of justice is what we should really be discussing here.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am ...let's just say if I were God, there'd be A LOT less people on this planet and things would be a lot better than they are currently.
Yes, so you know better than God. Got it.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am Are we created equally? Maybe in the sense of (if you believe it) God created us...
That's what Checkpoint just said, right, nobspeople? But not just that He created us, but that He created us all -- ALL -- in His own image (which means a lot of things, the fact that we are all equal -- not to Him, as Creator, but to each other as His created -- being one of them). So to my initial point, we are surely all different, but not unequal.

Grace and peace to you, nobspeople.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #4]
In your own eyes, right?
Uh...yeah...of course it's an opinion (I don't recall stating it as a fact...?), but looking around at all the people (billions if you could see them all) and I suspect we're not all equal even outside my opinion.
Are you not projecting your own opinion here on God?
Being God can't be proven factual, we're all projecting our own opinion on God. That's a long way of saying YES O:)
No, 'different' is not synonymous or antonymous with 'equal.' 'Different' only has a relationship -- antonymous, of course -- with 'same,' or 'sameness.'
Instead of 'different' I should have used 'unequal' Although, by definition, different is the opposite of equal so I guess it's a matter of semantics.
I'm reminded of the example some use: walking down a street at night and you come across a couple that looks like you in every way (dress, style, gender, race, etc) and then you come across a couple the exact opposite of you, many times you react to one couple differently than another. Granted that doesn't mean they AREN'T equal in some regards (though the fact they're the exact opposite means they aren't equal), but you can perceive them as unequal.
Note I'm not saying I'm better than everyone else (though some I am, like some are better than me) and I'm OK with that because everyone is not equal.
I'm sure you're all about equality of men and women (for example), and I have no problem with that; men and women are surely equal, but they are different... not the same.
Men and women aren't equal depending on how you define equal.
Is this not human favoritism and/or partiality?
I suppose so
Who's doing the "jerking around" of folks, nobspeople? Who?
Sometimes it seems to be fate (if you believe in that) or God (if you believe in that). Other times it's other people (their peers), sometimes it the government. Sometimes it's just the 'regular guy' up the street.
For someone who doesn't believe in God, it seems you sure do a lot of acknowledging of Him, and even projecting human failings -- even sin -- upon Him.
If you refer to God as the Christian god, I don't see that as a possibility. I do believe it's possible for something 'god-like' to exist. And that's likely. But from what I've seen, the Christian god doesn't exist.
I believe that, if the Christian god exists as some believe, he (her it whatever) is ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING - good and bad.
Being on a Christian site, it wouldn't be prudent not to discuss him in some sense. If you see that as 'acknowledging' him that's your choice 8-)
so you are acknowledging your own partiality toward people, your own "picking and choosing" for whatever reason according to your own "wisdom" and preference.
If by this, you men I have biasness towards people: Absolutely. Sometimes not by conscious choice, other times by conscious choice.
If not, I'm not sure what you mean here.
So is this God's fault?
See above bolded comment.
So, according to your sense of "justice..." This is how the world should operate. I see.
No you don't see. I never said that. I said if I was God that's how I would operate the world.
Maybe the concept of justice is what we should really be discussing here.
Not here as that's not what the thread is about. Perhaps elsewhere. That said, I've always been fascinated with the concept of 'justice' vs 'revenge'.
so you know better than God. Got it.
Your words, not mine. But it stands to reason, if the world could operate differently (which it could if God wanted it to, being capable of all things as he created all things according to the bible) it would. So I guess that's his choice. Seems an odd choice to me if he's supposed to love everyone. As I've said before I expect more from a deity. I guess others just take what they're given :shock:
That's what Checkpoint just said, right, nobspeople?
This site is for EVERYONE, not just believers, which is why I made that distinction, which I think is necessary. Non-believers (questioners) have every right to responds with their ideas and opinions. I know that upsets many of those that don't like to challenge the status quo, but that's their problem.
That is, until the site owner restricts this site only to believers to have a giant KU2G party. Which I suppose is possible. Until then....
Ever since I moved away from the Christianity that's taught today in so many places, I've shared both, grace and peace just as much, if not more than, any Christian.
I wish the same to you. :P

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by PinSeeker »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmUh...yeah...of course it's an opinion...
Thanks for acknowledging that.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm...looking around at all the people (billions if you could see them all) and I suspect we're not all equal even outside my opinion.
So, no offense intended, but you're using your opinion to validate your opinion. :)
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmBeing God can't be proven factual...
In your opinion, right? Yes...
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm...we're all projecting our own opinion on God.
Well no, some of us believe there's an objective Source that states what the truth is. And then that's what we derive our opinions and other viewpoints and beliefs from. Now, granted, some are mistaken in understanding what that truth really is concerning various things, and they may even -- inadvertently -- try to shape those truths into something other than what they actually are, into what they think the truths should be, and that's not a good thing. But still, the fact is, we have an objective source that gives us the truth... or what folks like you might say gives us what we think is the truth.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm
No, 'different' is not synonymous or antonymous with 'equal.' 'Different' only has a relationship -- antonymous, of course -- with 'same,' or 'sameness.'
Well said. You are correct.
Thank you. Yes I am. :) Thanks for acknowledging.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmBut to me, semantics aside...
Ah, "semantics"... :D
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm...we're not all equal, nor are we all treated equally, we don't treat others equally either.
Well, in each other's eyes, we're not all equal, we are treated unequally by other people, and therefore we treat each other unequally. Right. Do you even realize you're making my point here? So, all this is the result of human failings. This is my point, and you're making it for me (as if I needed help... :))
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmI'm reminded of the example some use: walking down a street at night and you come across a couple that looks like you in every way (dress, style, gender, race, etc) and then you come across a couple the exact opposite of you, many times you react to one couple differently than another. Granted that doesn't mean they AREN'T equal in some regards (though the fact they're the exact opposite means they aren't equal), but you can perceive them as unequal. Note I'm not saying I'm better than everyone else (though some I am, like some are better than me) and I'm OK with that because everyone is not equal.
See here? Again, you're not really talking about equality, per se, but rather sameness.
Who's doing the "jerking around" of folks, nobspeople? Who?
Sometimes it seems to be fate (if you believe in that) or God (if you believe in that). Other times it's other people (their peers), sometimes it the government. Sometimes it's just the 'regular guy' up the street.
It's always people "jerking people around" in one way or another, actively or passively, directly or indirectly. "Fate" is always the result of passive or active action or inaction on the part of people.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmBut from what I've seen, the Christian god doesn't exist.
That's because you don't know Who the "Christian god" is... or are mistaken in your understanding of Him... or both.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmI believe that, if the Christian god exists as some believe, he (her it whatever) is ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING - good and bad.
Wellllllllllllll... no. What we're getting into now... and you probably don't mean to, but you are... is who is responsible for sin. The biblical truth here is, God made people, yes, but people (starting with Adam) are responsible for sin. We see this from Genesis 3 on, throughout the entire Bible. For God's part, somehow He works everything together -- everything, including the sinful actions of people -- together for the good (the ultimate good, not necessarily the immediate "good") of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose, but He is never the author or perpetrator of this sin. If in your mind you want to still see Him as responsible for sin, you can if you want, but I would advise against it... :)
So, according to your sense of "justice..." This is how the world should operate. I see.
No you don't see. I never said that. I said if I was God that's how I would operate the world.
Right... If you were God, this is how you would enact your justice, and thus "operate" the world. Again you acknowledge my point... and perhaps see it as some kind of different point. Interesting.
Maybe the concept of justice is what we should really be discussing here.
Not here as that's not what the thread is about.
Right, but that's what you're making it about, without realizing it.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmPerhaps elsewhere. That said, I've always been fascinated with the concept of 'justice' vs 'revenge'.
Ah, revenge! Or vengeance. Ah ha! Yes, they are interesting concepts worth discussing.
so you know better than God. Got it.
Your words, not mine. But it stands to reason, if the world could operate differently (which it could if God wanted it to, being capable of all things as he created all things according to the bible) it would.
Yes, my words, but that's the effect of what you're saying. Yes, God could have created the world differently than He did, I suppose. But here you seem to be arguing against human will, that we should all be robots... or some other kind of being devoid of autonomy on any level, which you must be doing inadvertently; I'm sure you realize how ridiculous that is.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmSo I guess that's his choice. Seems an odd choice to me if he's supposed to love everyone.
Well, the choice is that He created anything at all; He could have chosen not to. But He loves, which is not just a warm, fuzzy feeling, but rather an action, and not a once-and-for-all event but an ongoing, never-ending action -- a perfect faithfulness, despite the sinful actions of the receivers -- and rejecters -- of that love. That's His choice.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmAs I've said before I expect more from a deity.
Well for me, it's more than I could possibly think or imagine -- let alone somehow "expect" -- from Him.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmI guess others just take what they're given.
Maybe it's rather that they're satisfied with far, far less than what they could have. That they're far too easily satisfied... C.S. Lewis said that, and he was right.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pmNon-believers (questioners) have every right to responds with their ideas and opinions.
Sure they do. They have every right to get everything wrong. :)

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to aapatil@cox.net in post #1]

The Bible does not present humans as equal. The God of the Bible is a God of favoritism. The O.T. version favored the Israelites as can be seen in the special treatment they received over those of "the nations." When Jesus' followers saw that they couldn't take over Judaism as they had planned, Paul, and others who wrote using his name, twisted God into one who favored Christians over the "unbelievers."

It's an old story. In order to condone the unequal treatment of humans, those viewed as the other have to be viewed as some how less than the favored group. Once this has been accomplished as seen with the unfavorable terms mentioned above, the mistreatment of the other is justified by those how consider themselves God's favorites.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with contraceptives as mentioned in the O.P., but there we have it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #6]
So, no offense intended, but you're using your opinion to validate your opinion.
There's no real reason for me to validate my opinion so no, simply stating it.
In your opinion, right?
Unless you know some secret that's evaded humanity for centuries and can prove, with facts, God is real, I'm all ears. So YES, it's an opinion but a very good one that, to me, is a lot more likely to be true than not.
some of us believe there's an objective Source that states what the truth is.
Some believe in Xenu and have things they state as 'truth' as well. Doesn't mean anything other than they believe in something as truth. Christians aren't different in that regard. And while I don't know ALL religions that have existed throughout history, I suspect that holds true for most of them as well.
some are mistaken in understanding what that truth really is concerning various things, and they may even -- inadvertently -- try to shape those truths into something other than what they actually are, into what they think the truths should be, and that's not a good thing.
No argument there. I believe it's all of them, but that's just me.
we have an objective source that gives us the truth
No. You have an objective source that provides you HOPE that you found the truth. If you have a solid, real source, you could demonstrate that beyond a shadow of doubt to everyone. Simple fact is, you can't. And that's fine with a belief system. But when people start saying "I know the truth" but can't provide it to be true, that's when people start having issues and, justifiably, throw around terms like 'liar' and 'hypocrite'.
or what folks like you might say gives us what we think is the truth.
Fact is, you believe you have the truth and have zero way of proving it. Which, again, is fine. Just don't expect others to agree with you, don't look down on those that don't agree with you, don't parade it around as truth (instead of opinion or belief) when you can't prove it and don't try to force your views on everyone else.
Thank you. Yes I am. :) Thanks for acknowledging.
Re-read for correctness as the comment was edited. "Instead of 'different' I should have used 'unequal' Although, by definition, different is the opposite of equal so I guess it's a matter of semantics."
Ah, "semantics"
Right? I really wish God would have used a more concise way of communicating, but alas, he relied on flawed people to write his wishes, then flawed people to translate them, flawed people to edit them and flawed people to tell others how to interpret it. Sigh :?
Do you even realize you're making my point here?
I think it's you that's making my point. So thank you.
Again, you're not really talking about equality, per se, but rather sameness.
Semantics aside, when one is different from another, they can't be equal in the sense of sameness. So I suppose it all comes down to how you define the word.
Regardless of individual definition, on a basic level, we are equal in that we are humans (well, most of us) and not much else. How far one wants to take that I suppose is up to them. For me, if I'm taller than you, then we aren't totally equal. If I'm more intelligent than you, we aren't totally equal. If you have red hair and I don't, we aren't totally equal. The list is almost endless.
"Fate" is always the result of passive or active action or inaction on the part of people.
I know of some that wouldn't agree with that :D
That's because you don't know Who the "Christian god" is... or are mistaken in your understanding of Him... or both.
Christian arrogance at its best: Because you don't believe like I do you're wrong. That would by funny if it wasn't sad.
and you probably don't mean to, but you are... is who is responsible for sin.
Something best left for another thread so as to not dilute this one. Looking forward to it!
If you were God
Thank you for acknowledging your error.
but that's what you're making it about, without realizing it.
You're confused. I was talking about equality, not justice - you brought that up.
But here you seem to be arguing against human will, that we should all be robots
Your indoctrination is complete! If you only see 'will or robots' you're indoctrination has done its job. I encourage you to look past your church bound rules and open your mind.
Well for me, it's more than I could possibly think or imagine -- let alone somehow "expect" -- from Him.
See previous statement
Sure they do. They have every right to get everything wrong.
Christians as well, yes?

Now then, if you want to overlook all those inequalities and say "We are all equal" that's your choice, just as it's my choice to say otherwise.
And guess what? We can agree to disagree and that's totally fine. Which, again, shows we aren't equal ;)
For decades now. And decades to come I can assure you. All without the Christian god. Nice!

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm The Bible does not present humans as equal.
But it does. Equally depraved, equally in need of salvation, equally in need of a Savior, which God graciously provided for all. That many do not take advantage of such opportunity is no ground to charge God with "favoritism," or anything else or that matter, other than graciousness.
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm The God of the Bible is a God of favoritism.
He has mercy on those whom He will -- and compassion upon whom He will -- bug again, this is no ground upon which any charge of "favoritism" can stand.
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm The O.T. version favored the Israelites as can be seen in the special treatment they received over those of "the nations."
Ah, the Old Testament. Let me clear something up about this contrived Old Testament/New Testament false dichotomy. To make a long story short, the Old Testament is filled with types and shadows of what was and is to come. To your "point" concerning the Israelites, God's people were never ethnic Jews only. And with the coming of Jesus, the Gospel was opened to everyone regardless of ethnicity... which was always really the case, it's just that the use of types and shadows in the Old Testament were and should be seen as a training ground for a much, much larger reality. But many -- and even a lot of Christians -- miss the forest for the trees.
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm When Jesus' followers saw that they couldn't take over Judaism as they had planned, Paul, and others who wrote using his name, twisted God into one who favored Christians over the "unbelievers."
LOL! Wow. The things people come up with to justify themselves...
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm It's an old story. In order to condone the unequal treatment of humans...
Whoops, stop. The unequal treatment of humans is the fault of humans themselves. God gives grace to all. Do a word search in the Bible of the word 'partial.' You might be surprised at what you find. God shows no partiality (Deuteronomy 10:17, Romans 2:11, Ephesians 6:9, Galatians 2:6, Colossians 3:25, 1 Timothy 5:21).
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:09 pm those viewed as the other have to be viewed as some how less than the favored group. Once this has been accomplished as seen with the unfavorable terms mentioned above, the mistreatment of the other is justified by those how consider themselves God's favorites. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with contraceptives as mentioned in the O.P., but there we have it.
So none of this holds any water. It's just a rant. Which, you know, you're more than welcome to. But level-headed it is surely not.

Grace and peace to you, Tcg.

Tcg
[/quote]

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 pm
So none of this holds any water. It's just a rant. Which, you know, you're more than welcome to. But level-headed it is surely not.
All of it holds water. Classifying these facts as a rant is simply attempting to hand wave them away rather than present actual objections. Nice Ad Hominem added at the end as well.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom