Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

WWJD?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

What would Jesus drive?

Is there (or should there) be an environmental concern within Christianity? Why or why not?

While I get the rhetoric of 'my soul is all that matters' that's taught in many churches today, surely there should be some concern with the planet with live on and how we treat it while we're here?
Or no?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Pastor Roy

Re: WWJD?

Post #11

Post by Pastor Roy »

Christian jewelry here

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Benson »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:35 pm What would Jesus drive?

Is there (or should there) be an environmental concern within Christianity? Why or why not?

While I get the rhetoric of 'my soul is all that matters' that's taught in many churches today, surely there should be some concern with the planet with live on and how we treat it while we're here?
Or no?
No person today can emulate Jesus. Such a notion is from the opinion of Paul.

Think, the well cared for sheep of Jesus' flock do not emulate Him, they do not become Shepherds. If you disagree, then tell us how you conform to Christ in your life here on Earth.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benson wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:51 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:35 pm What would Jesus drive?

Or no?
No person today can emulate Jesus. Such a notion is from the opinion of Paul.

Think, the well cared for sheep of Jesus' flock do not emulate Him, they do not become Shepherds. If you disagree, then tell us how you conform to Christ in your life here on Earth.
“Simon son of John, do you love me?” He replied: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Shepherd my little sheep.” - John 21:16

Then why did Jesus tell Simon Peter to shepherd his sheep?

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Benson »

Jesus did not say "Shepherd my sheep." He said, "Feed my sheep."

Apparently, feeding the sheep meant for Peter to talk to them about Jesus, to explain Him, and to advise how to repent. "Repenting" was the core imperative from Prophet John, and the first Command from Jesus.

I suppose the best way to see how Peter fed the sheep is to read Peter's writings. Make sense? Maybe?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benson wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:13 pm Jesus did not say "Shepherd my sheep." He said, "Feed my sheep."

Apparently, feeding the sheep meant for Peter to talk to them about Jesus, to explain Him, and to advise how to repent. "Repenting" was the core imperative from Prophet John, and the first Command from Jesus.

I suppose the best way to see how Peter fed the sheep is to read Peter's writings. Make sense? Maybe?
https://biblehub.com/john/21-16.htm
Several translations say "Shepherd my sheep". Verse 15 before it says feed.
Here is the Greek word, poimainó translated to shepherd in English, used in John 21:16
https://biblehub.com/greek/4165.htm

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Benson »

Tell me how you have been shepherded in any Church. Give specific examples of what you were advised to do, and then how you actually did it.

If you cannot give ongoing factual testimonies for shepherding by a church leader, then you have no knowledge of it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Benson wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 pm Tell me how you have been shepherded in any Church.
A shepherd
  • Protects
  • guides
  • feeds
  • cares

Jehovah is the great shepherd (Psalms 23) and he has sent his son to shepherd his people. Jesus in turn appointed men (like Peter) as "undershepherds" to take care of the spiritual wellbeing of his those God has gathered into the Christian congregation. These me are appointed to
- protect the congregation from spiritually harmful influences, making sure those that join, meet scriptural requirements and judging unrepentant sinners and excluding them from the congregation if need be. They thus are used by God to help preserve Christian unity.

- guides they provide individual counsel and guidance, helping the new ones to mature, correcting those that might need scriptural readjustment.

- Feed The bible is our source of spiritual nourishment, so just as a shepherd doesn't create the grass the sheep eat, the "undsrsheperds" do not make up their own teachings. They feed the sheep in that they prepare and serve bible based teachings in an appealing way.

Cares A shepherd cares for the welfare of his sheep. If one is lost or hurt he gives it individual attention. The "undersherherds" visit the sick, encourage the weak, comfort the grieving and provide practical even financial support when needed.

Im confident all of.Jehovahs Witnesses (myself included) have benefited from most if not all of the provisions above on an ongoing basis.

JW

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Benson »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:01 pm
Benson wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 pm Tell me how you have been shepherded in any Church.
A shepherd
  • Protects
  • guides
  • feeds
  • cares

Jehovah is the great shepherd (Psalms 23) and he has sent his son to shepherd his people. Jesus in turn appointed men (like Peter) as "undershepherds" to take care of the spiritual wellbeing of his those God has gathered into the Christian congregation. These me are appointed to
- protect the congregation from spiritually harmful influences, making sure those that join, meet scriptural requirements and judging unrepentant sinners and excluding them from the congregation if need be. They thus are used by God to help preserve Christian unity.

- guides they provide individual counsel and guidance, helping the new ones to mature, correcting those that might need scriptural readjustment.

- Feed The bible is our source of spiritual nourishment, so just as a shepherd doesn't create the grass the sheep eat, the "undsrsheperds" do not make up their own teachings. They feed the sheep in that they prepare and serve bible based teachings in an appealing way.

Cares A shepherd cares for the welfare of his sheep. If one is lost or hurt he gives it individual attention. The "undersherherds" visit the sick, encourage the weak, comfort the grieving and provide practical even financial support when needed.

Im confident all of.Jehovahs Witnesses (myself included) have benefited from most if not all of the provisions above on an ongoing basis.

JW

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Remember, the only reason Jesus can be called a Shepherd by Authentic Christians is because they know He is God. Without Jesus being God, He really is just another failure.

Let's pray together now: "Lord Jesus, thank you for being God, and giving the clear verification for your identity and power. Amen."

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #19

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benson wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Remember, the only reason Jesus can be called a Shepherd by Authentic Christians is because they know He is God. Without Jesus being God, He really is just another failure.
John 21:16, where Christ (your God) told Peter to shepherd his sheep. https://biblehub.com/john/21-16.htm
You said in post 12 people that follow Jesus are not to be shepherds. viewtopic.php?p=1030227#p1030227

Please let the 'authentic Christians' know for clarity what comes from God? What you said or what is written in John 21:16?

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Benson »

To misquote John 21:16 from a cultic text will serve no purpose for Authentic Christians. Agreed?