Does Lucifer have Free Will?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Does Lucifer have Free Will?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

I apologise if this has been asked before (and it seems to me the obvious answer is yes) but I still want to clarify this: Does Lucifer have free will?

Further, does Lucifer have the knowledge of good and evil? Again, I apologise if this is a silly question.

And I am not out to nitpick this one; I genuinely want to know the answer. I may have a follow-up question that seems like a nitpick and an attempt to find a contradiction, but actually it would be an attempt to resolve it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Does Lucifer have Free Will?

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:38 pm I apologise if this has been asked before (and it seems to me the obvious answer is yes) but I still want to clarify this: Does Lucifer have free will?
If we define free will as the capacity to make autonomous decisions, then the bible indicates that yes, Satan the Devil does indeed have free will.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

earl wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:04 pm Miles,
The visibility of God is demonstrated by the person Jesus.Who said if you have seen me you have seen the Father.
So Lucifer would have to recognize Jesus as the presence of God the invisible.I do not think that would be different in heaven.
In heaven, or wherever, as Job 1:7 reveals, Satan and god had a conversation, in which case Satan would have no reason to rely on faith for god's existence, but had first-hand knowledge of god.

Job 1:7

The Lord asked Satan, “Where have you come from?” “From roaming through the earth,” Satan answered Him, “and walking around on it.”

earl
Scholar

Post #23

Post by earl »

Miles,
The book of Job is a book of protest of erroneous concepts that the 3 friends of Job presented to Job.
The book is not a real life story.
To support this reasoning is that God does not (old common phrase) ["make a deal with the devil"] make a deal with Satan ,(by proxy,I'm not going to do it but Ill allow you to do it to Job)to destroy Job's life and family,friend and wealth.In that day it was commonly regarded that God did just that,a God of good and evil.However not since Jesus came on the scene and defined the Father's nature.
At Job 27.1--- Job tells his friends he don't believe their primitive reasoning and they are not in the right.
To futher establish this reasoning at 2 Pe.2 and Jude as the migration of the rebellion came to Earth there were teachers/ministers who were teaching denial of God and denial of Jesus as his son.
If those teachers/ministers was able to visually see God,'seeing is believing,' then they could not deny Jesus as his son,(def.-denial #1 -does not exist,because they would be looking at God as they spoke the deinal .Since they could not see God as anyone else cannot either then they did not recognize Jesus as his son,not that Jesus did not exist but the denial that Jesus is not God's son.(denial-def.#2 -does not believe facts to be true )
God is a absolute and total invisibility by his nature.To see God one must look at Jesus.This is why Jesus said ,"if you see me ,you see the Father".
This statement also nullifies the earlier written biblical statements and beliefs that man has seen God.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:38 pm I apologise if this has been asked before (and it seems to me the obvious answer is yes) but I still want to clarify this: Does Lucifer have free will?

Further, does Lucifer have the knowledge of good and evil? Again, I apologise if this is a silly question.

And I am not out to nitpick this one; I genuinely want to know the answer. I may have a follow-up question that seems like a nitpick and an attempt to find a contradiction, but actually it would be an attempt to resolve it.
If lucifer was an angel, and angels don't have free will, then no, he doesn't.
If angels do have free will, it's almost pointless for God to have created other beings that were with him (in the garden) and has free will.
Either way, we have to question God's motives: If angels DON'T have free will, why is God going to battle Satan in the end times (as many churches teach) as they're doing what he basically programmed to them do; if angels DO have free will, his creation of us was pointless as he already had things that could worship him at their own will.
But of course, I'm sure someone will tell me I don't really understand, am wrong, need to understand the "metaphorical-ness" of the story, understand the original text, understand what God TRULY wanted or meant....I'm sure other excuses will raise their heads eventually to make the Christian god innocent of any guilt or responsibility of such a, really, stupidly told and taught storyline.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:56 pm ..if angels DO have free will, his creation of us was pointless as he already had things that could worship him at their own will.
So if one has a first child is it "pointless" to have any more?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:59 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:56 pm ..if angels DO have free will, his creation of us was pointless as he already had things that could worship him at their own will.
Yes actually - one is plenty.
It's also taught in many Christian churches (all different denominations that I've been to, as a matter of fact) that humans were created because they had free will when angels didn't and God wanted someone or something to worship him on their own free will. While there's MUCH wrong with this statement, that doesn't negate the fact that it is taught by disciples of Christ

While we're talking "children", what's the logic and love in condemning "children" to eternal hell for not accepting the parent when the parent insists on only giving you faith to rely on and not proof?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #27

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:24 pm
So why in your opinion do people have more than one child?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:39 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:24 pm
So why in your opinion do people have more than one child?
This thread isn't about having kids. Can we address the OP?

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

earl wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:24 pm Miles,
The book of Job is a book of protest of erroneous concepts that the 3 friends of Job presented to Job.
The book is not a real life story.+
Okay, but according to

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

everything Job says is true. So when Job mentions the conversation between Satan and god that conversation would have actually taken place: Satan having actual proof of god's existence and would not have to rely on faith. So I fail to see the relevance of your post here, the issue being; does Satan believe god exists because he has faith, your contention:

"He knew God by faith and later rejected his faith in God."

that he does, or because he has knowledge that he does.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Purple Knight »

I think what he's saying is that whatever experiment God was doing, or indeed whatever it was doing, could have been accomplished by the angels if the angels have free will.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree. It depends on whether whatever end God wanted requires some quality that makes humans different from angels.

So... in what ways are humans different from angels?