Post by William »

Adam or Eve?

theophile
Guru

Re: Who Sinned First?

Post #2

Post by theophile »

[Replying to William in post #1]

It was a joint action. They turned and hid from God together.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

theophile wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:15 pm
It was a joint action.
I asked "Who sinned first?" In relation to "joint action", which of the pair sinned first? Who crossed the line first. Who was first over the line?
They turned and hid from God together.
I asked "Who sinned first?" not "Who hid first?".

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Genesis 3:6

The woman saw how beautiful the tree was and how good its fruit would be to eat, and she thought how wonderful it would be to become wise. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, and he also ate it.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 pm .

The woman saw how beautiful the tree was and how good its fruit would be to eat, and she thought how wonderful it would be to become wise. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, and he also ate it.

What - in that passage - tells us who sinned first?

I notice that the biblical text you quoted is different from this biblical text:

Genesis 3:6, NASB: "When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate." Genesis 3:6, NLT:

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:19 pm

Assuming that eating the fruit was a sin, it would be the word "then."

then adverb
Definition:
1 : at that time
2a : soon after that : next in order of time walked to the door, then turned
2b : following next after in order of position, narration, or enumeration : being next in a series first came the clowns, and then came the elephants
Source: Merriam Webster Dictionary

I notice that the biblical text you quoted is different from this biblical text:

Genesis 3:6, NASB: "When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate." Genesis 3:6, NLT:
Yup. Different Bibles often put verses differently. Take Philippians 3:8

KJ21
Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them but dung, that I may win Christ

ASV
Yea verily, and I count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but refuse, that I may gain Christ,

AMP
But more than that, I count everything as loss compared to the priceless privilege and supreme advantage of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord [and of growing more deeply and thoroughly acquainted with Him—a joy unequaled]. For His sake I have lost everything, and I consider it all garbage, so that I may gain Christ,

AMPC
Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly]. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish, in order that I may win (gain) Christ (the Anointed One),

CEB
But even beyond that, I consider everything a loss in comparison with the superior value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have lost everything for him, but what I lost I think of as sewer trash, so that I might gain Christ

DARBY
But surely I count also all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all, and count them to be filth, that I may gain Christ;

John Bauer
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by John Bauer »

Explicitly (Gen. 3:6), the woman sinned first: she was deceived (1 Tim. 2:14) by the serpent and ate of the tree, then she also gave some to her husband who was with her (KJV, NKJV, ESV, NASB, NIV, NET, NLT; also ASV, HCSB, CEV). Implicitly, Adam sinned first because he was supposed to keep, or guard, or defend the garden (שָׁמַר, Gen 2:15) and the presence of the serpent indicated his failure to do so; furthermore, he followed his wife into sin. The last Adam was in every way superior to the first Adam.
"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act
in accordance with the dictates of reason."
— Oscar Wilde.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all
argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle
is contempt prior to investigation."
— William Paley.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 am

then adverb
Definition:
2b : following next after in order of position, narration, or enumeration : being next in a series first came the clowns, and then came the elephants

Yup. Different Bibles often put verses differently.
So you are saying that according to the version you used...Eve was the first to sin?

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 am

then adverb
Definition:

So you are saying that according to the version you used...Eve was the first to sin?
Yup.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:10 pm
William wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 am

then adverb
Definition:

Yup.
What about the other version I mentioned. Do you still think Eve was the first to sin? After all Adam was with her and didn't say a word while the Serpent was tempting her. One sin lead to the other...