Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Benson
Banned
Banned

The False Gospel of Mere Assent.

Post #1

Post by Benson »

"And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?" 1 Peter 4:18 [KJV]

#3433 molis, "with difficulty, hardly, scarcely, with much work."

Let's discuss and debate today's commonly spoken Evangelical Gospel.

Apostle Peter consistently writes in his epistles 1 & 2 of diligence, purposeful effort, and works to be undertaken, and dangers to be avoided, by Believers and Followers of Christ. Per the above reference, he states salvation is "scarcely" obtained. He gives many examples of specific pursuits and actions to be either accomplished or wholly avoided by Church members who would attain their eternal Grace. This Grace is stated by Peter to be a future "Grace that is to be brought unto you at the Revelation of Jesus Christ." (Ch. 1, v. 1.). It is not a Grace they already have.

From this we can easily see Peter's understanding of "Grace" is far distant from the grace penned by Paul in Ephesians 2:8, "For by Grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Paul tries to say there is a currently possessed grace given from God, and he later states it has full security. Reformed Theologians today go further to label it as "unmerited irresistible election with perseverance."

Today, Church goers are deluded by those who preach Paul's epistles into feeling they can just jump into God's favor and salvation by giving their mental assent to the idea of "accepting God's plan of salvation." Paul's gospel is so easy to receive, just like all other consumer products people are attracted to pick and choose. And, today we have nondisciples "following Jesus."

Apostle James specifies "Faith without deeds is dead in itself," and even gave a clear definition of "pure religion" in Ch. 1:27. Paul chose to avoid saying any of this, as he worked to establish a busy network of Churches which were to remain receptive only to his teachings. And, today we have Pauline Preachers doing little else than speaking motivational sermons, devoid of any specific detail and lacking any material demonstrations of The Gospel during the church activities. They try to claim their sermons are the "Power" mentioned by Paul in 1 Cor. 4:20. Such lengthy, motivational speeches are not power, but are mere words.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The False Gospel of Mere Assent.

Post #31

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benson wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:53 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 pm
Benson wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:34 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:25 pm
Benson wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:26 pm Were the statements of Job's friends the Word of God?
Yes.
If their statements were The Word of God, why then in Job 42:7 did God state to the three of them, "You have not spoken of me the thing that is right?"

Then God told Job to perform burnt offerings for them to cover their sin.

Give an answer before running away.
It's the word of God because it is something He wants us to know. You wouldn't know what they said if God didn't tell you. He doesn't hold back. He will tell you the bad and the good for our instruction. I can answer you in yes or no answers to anything you ask. I believe in the God described at Psalms 83:18 and Psalms 118:6. I do not run as His word is my guide. ALL of it. There is no reason for me to run.
So, you do admit the Bible states "something" which "they said," and is not what He said.
No, He said it. We still hear their words because God had what they said recorded. So it's still from God. Moses wrote the book of Job at God's command there is nothing in it that God doesn't want there.

2 Timothy 3:16, 17 "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by 2timothy316 »

Benson wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:26 pm Were the statements of Job's friends the Word of God?
Yes.
If their statements were The Word of God, why then in Job 42:7 did God state to the three of them, "You have not spoken of me the thing that is right?"

It's the word of God because it is something He wants us to know. You wouldn't know what they said if God didn't tell you. He doesn't hold back. He will tell you the bad and the good for our instruction. I can answer you in yes or no answers to anything you ask. I believe in the God described at Psalms 83:18 and Psalms 118:6. I do not run as His word is my guide. ALL of it. There is no reason for me to run.
So, you do admit the Bible states "something" which "they said," and is not what He said.

My point made.

BTW, God does hold back. Jesus spoke mysteries in parables, then privately explained the mysteries to His Disciples. At times God told His Prophets to not reveal all they saw and heard. Paul stated the Gospel to the Gentiles had bee hidden from Prophets and Angels for a long time. God has not revealed when Jesus will return. God causes delusion and error to come upon some people. God spoke End Time Prophecy in a manner which prevents their understanding before they occur. Jesus told many people to conceal who He was.

God does indeed hold back.
Not when it comes to what is true or what is false, Jehovah God doesn't hold back. He didn't keep important information from his followers. The explanations were not private. It was explained to anyone that stuck around to listen. "This speech is shocking who can listen to?...Because of this, many of his disciples went off to the things behind and would no longer walk with him." (John 6:60, 66) He also explained when asked. That is very important information that we must know. Yet you can't answer if the Bible has a false gospel in it. If you can't answer that then how is one to know that you're not teaching a false gospel or the next person?

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Benson »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 am
Yes.

No, He said it. We still hear their words because God had what they said recorded. So it's still from God. Moses wrote the book of Job at God's command there is nothing in it that God doesn't want there.

2 Timothy 3:16, 17 "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."
So true. It is "what they said," the sum of which God has provided which contains His own Words.