Why Do You Call Yourself A "Christian"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Why Do You Call Yourself A "Christian"?

Post #1

Post by William »

Generally it is understood that those who call themselves "Christian" *share a number of agreed beliefs, even if they do not participate in each others denominations or agree to specific beliefs which go towards the creation of said denomination's [schism's] which branch [sprout] out from the main trunk of middle eastern mythologies - the branch called "Christendom".

The *general consensus appears to me to be;

1: Christians are those who say they follow after Jesus-of-the-Bible.
2: The Bible is considered by Christians to be "The Word of God"
3: Christendom, as a whole, is "The Church" Jesus set up.
4: There are no Christians who are not members of Christendom because Christendom is the vessel through which Jesus delivered The Bible [his word] to the world.
5: The Creator of The Creation is called "God"
6: "God" is the god of the Jews.
7: "The Father" [as Jesus-of-the-Bible referred to The Creator] is a term Jesus used when referring to The Old Testament [The G_D of The Jews] idea of a god.

Perhaps the list is too long already? Or perhaps there may be more that all Christians appear to agree on?

Do you agree with any of those points on my list?

Why do YOU call yourself a "Christian"?

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Why Do You Call Yourself A "Christian"?

Post #2

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 pm Generally it is understood that those who call themselves "Christian" *share a number of agreed beliefs, even if they do not participate in each others denominations or agree to specific beliefs which go towards the creation of said denomination's [schism's] which branch [sprout] out from the main trunk of middle eastern mythologies - the branch called "Christendom".

4: There are no Christians who are not members of Christendom because Christendom is the vessel through which Jesus delivered The Bible [his word] to the world.
7: "The Father" [as Jesus-of-the-Bible referred to The Creator] is a term Jesus used when referring to The Old Testament [The G_D of The Jews] idea of a god.

Perhaps the list is too long already? Or perhaps there may be more that all Christians appear to agree on?
William wrote:Do you agree with any of those points on my list?
No.
william wrote:Why do YOU call yourself a "Christian"?
I believe in Jesus as my Savior.

And that is what believers are called:

Acts 11:26 . . . And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm
William wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 pm Generally it is understood that those who call themselves "Christian" *share a number of agreed beliefs, even if they do not participate in each others denominations or agree to specific beliefs which go towards the creation of said denomination's [schism's] which branch [sprout] out from the main trunk of middle eastern mythologies - the branch called "Christendom".

No.

Does this mean that people referred to the disciples as Chrisitains?

What were you saved from?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #4

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:49 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm

No.

Does this mean that people referred to the disciples as Chrisitains?
No, they referred to them as Christians beginning at Antioch.
William wrote:What were you saved from?
The truth has set me free from the worry and fear generated by Christian churches I attended.

What I will be saved from in the future is the wages of my sins -- which is the second and everlasting death.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to William in post #1]
Who better than Jesus Christ himself to say what a "Christian" should be?

Luke 6:46 “Why, then, do you call me ‘Lord! Lord!’ but do not do the things I say? 47 Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man who in building a house dug and went down deep and laid a foundation on the rock. Consequently, when a flood came, the river dashed against that house but was not strong enough to shake it, for it was well-built. 49 On the other hand, whoever hears and does nothing is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The river dashed against it, and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great.”

Being "Christian" involves thinking, speaking, and acting in the way that Christ taught to be correct.

John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master does. But I have called you friends, because I have made known to you all the things I have heard from my Father.

Personal honesty is not enough to be approved by Jesus.

Matt. 7:21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

I didn't create this thread so i could obtain individual sermons. The purpose of the questions I asked in the OP was to draw out answers that individuals referring to themselves as "Christians" have.

Please answer the questions in your own words and personal understanding. If you find that to be an impossible task for you to undergo, please refrain from using the thread as an opportunity to preach/proselytize

Thanks

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Eloi »

Then you should probably read what is this subforum about.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by RightReason »

William wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Yes
Yes
As a Christian, I disagree with this. Like you said in your initial comments, since there are so many different denominations all teaching different things, then one could not logically say Christendom as a whole is the Church. The Church is not simply a body of believers. The Church Christ established is visible and one. I would say Christendom includes those who follow Jesus, but are outside His established Church. They are believers, but do not have the fullness of the faith that God desired.
The Church is the vessel through which Jesus delivered the bible. A person could say they are Christian because they accept the bible (in fact most do), but one would have to ask, how can you accept the bible and not the Church who gave us the bible? Plus, the bible needs to be interpreted. Christ’s established Church has that authority.
Yes
Of course.
No, I would disagree with that. The Father is still used by Christians today and does not refer to OT God and Jesus as NT God. God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God has always been, is, and always will be.

Yes.
Because I believe God became man and came to earth, was crucified, and resurrected and established His Church to be our authority on earth until He comes again and I want what He has promised to those who repent, believe, and are baptized. I want to know my creator/my Father, who I believe is Truth and Love itself.

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

RightReason wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:20 pm
William wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Yes
Yes
As a Christian, I disagree with this. Like you said in your initial comments, since there are so many different denominations all teaching different things, then one could not logically say Christendom as a whole is the Church. The Church is not simply a body of believers.

So then, you would say that Christendom, as a whole, is NOT "The Church" Jesus set up.
The Church Christ established is visible and one.

Therefore one should be able to point out this Church Christ set up? Can you show us this Church. If it isn't Christendom, then what is it?
I would say Christendom includes those who follow Jesus, but are outside His established Church. They are believers, but do not have the fullness of the faith that God desired.
So Christendom is the Church Christ set up? But within the Church there are folk who don't belong in it?

The Church is the vessel through which Jesus delivered the bible. A person could say they are Christian because they accept the bible (in fact most do), but one would have to ask, how can you accept the bible and not the Church who gave us the bible? Plus, the bible needs to be interpreted. Christ’s established Church has that authority.

Which leads back to this pointing to Christendom as the Church. But you have said that Christendom isn't The Church. I Christendom therefore those in the Church who should not be in The Church - are not members of The Church?
Yes
Of course.
No, I would disagree with that. The Father is still used by Christians today and does not refer to OT God and Jesus as NT God. God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God has always been, is, and always will be.

So you are saying that the god idea of the Jews is not the entity which Jesus was referring to as The Father?
If so, I do not understand why you answered "if course" to question 6

Yes.
I asked also:
So [for you] the list is "too long" because there are things you do not agree with.
Because I believe God became man and came to earth, was crucified, and resurrected and established His Church to be our authority on earth until He comes again and I want what He has promised to those who repent, believe, and are baptized. I want to know my creator/my Father, who I believe is Truth and Love itself.
So for you, being a Christian is about those particular beliefs?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by RightReason »

William wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:35 pm
So then, you would say that Christendom, as a whole, is NOT "The Church" Jesus set up.
Correct.

Therefore one should be able to point out this Church Christ set up? Can you show us this Church. If it isn't Christendom, then what is it?
Historical record takes us back to when Jesus walked the earth and said to Peter, “Thou art Peter and upon this rock, I build my church”. “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven” “Whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven him”.

When we follow history, we see Christ’s established Church is the Catholic Church. Peter was the first Pope. Only the Catholic Church can trace her origin back to Christ Himself and has an unbroken chain of Apostolic Succession until this day. Only the Catholic Church has the authority to forgive sin, just like Scripture tells us Christ gave her.
So Christendom is the Church Christ set up? But within the Church there are folk who don't belong in it?
Christendom simply refers to the “Christian world” or body of believers who believe in Christ and share similar values and morals. It isn’t something specific established by Jesus Christ (it is referenced more like an idea or movement. The Church, on the other hand is a specific, visible, authoritative entity established by Christ. ”If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” Matthew 18:17

Clearly, there was a specific place to go. Christendom is not an actual authoritative entity.

So you are saying that the god idea of the Jews is not the entity which Jesus was referring to as The Father?
If so, I do not understand why you answered "if course" to question 6
That’s not what I was saying. Of course The Father was the God of the Jews and the same God Jesus refers to, but The Father is hardly limited to the God of the OT.
So [for you] the list is "too long" because there are things you do not agree with.
Hmmm . . . perhaps. I just didn’t think those extra things you added that I objected to represented what it means to be a Christian.
So for you, being a Christian is about those particular beliefs?
What particular beliefs? Believing God exists? That He became man, was crucified, resurrected, established His Church, and desires us to do what has been revealed to us through Sacred Scripture (The Bible) and Sacred Tradition (the Church)? That we are to know, love and serve Him? Yes. What else could it be about?