An Important Biblical Doctrine of Women.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Benson
Banned
Banned

An Important Biblical Doctrine of Women.

Post #1

Post by Benson »

Isaiah 3 is part of God's declaration of judgement upon disobedient House of Jacob. One segment describes how God will "smite" the daughters women of Zion (vs. 17), and will "discover their secret parts." (vs.17) Their "haughty" behavior (vs.16) is described that they either do or have"

"Walk with stretched forth necks"
"Wanton eyes"
"Walking and mincing as they go"
"Making a tinkling with their feet"
"Tinkling ornaments"
"Cauls" (jewelry)
"Round tires like the moon" (neck ornaments)
"Chains, Bracelets, Mufflers"
"Bonnets"
"Ornaments of the legs"
"Headbands"
"Tablets"
"Earrings"
"Rings and nose jewels"
"Changeable suits of apparel"
"Mantles"
"Wimples"
"Crisping pins"
"Glasses"
"Fine linen"
"Hoods"
"Veils"

God states He will then give them:

"Stink"
"Rent" (torn garments)
"Baldness"
"Sackcloth"
"Burning instead of beauty"

The condemnation is not based upon their errant theology, disobedience to The Law, or criminal behavior, but merely upon their fashion statements. This outward appearance of attire, adornment, posturing, and mincing is the only issue identified as offensive to God. It had nothing to do with the condition of their hearts. It had nothing to do with their natural need to express their personslity, or to feel confident in their appearance. Given the amount of money, time, and effort these fashion statements easily occupy in the minds of Women, this passage from Isaiah still applies today.

This gives us a clear teaching about what Real Christian Women are to refrain from lest they become judged. In principle as it concerns sheer vanity, the list could also include tattoos, makeup, hair dyes, piercings, cosmetic surgery, hair extensions, fake eyelashes, corsets, nylon stockings, facial glitter, fake moles, wigs, salon facials, party outfits, and and cosmetic dentistry.

Is it a good idea to mock and ignore God's Word here, or to heed it out of obedience and love for Him?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: An Important Biblical Doctrine of Women.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Benson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:36 am Is it a good idea to mock and ignore God's Word here, or to heed it out of obedience and love for Him?
The latter. The former is never a good idea in my opinion.

As for fitting dress for Christian women, scripture doesn't contain a long list of rules it says they should be modest and use good sense. (I think a woman can respect these principles and still wear nylon stockings if she chooses; but I'm british so perhaps nylon stockings means something else in American English).

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

There is no such thing as "real Christian women ', or men for that matter. [See the One True Scotsman fallacy]

There is no agreement anong Christians as to biblical script being "the word of God" and no evidence has ever been presented which validates the claim.

THEREFORE

The script is likely the mere Opinion of the author who wrote it.

Also to note:

The Creator obviously left it up to humans to dress themselves as they choose depending on circumstace.

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Benson »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:05 pm
Benson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:36 am Is it a good idea to mock and ignore God's Word here, or to heed it out of obedience and love for Him?
The latter. The former is never a good idea in my opinion.

As for fitting dress for Christian women, scripture doesn't contain a long list of rules it says they should be modest and use good sense. (I think a woman can respect these principles and still wear nylon stockings if she chooses; but I'm british so perhaps nylon stockings means something else in American English).

JW
Scripture does give the long list above. Should we be aware of it?

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Benson »

William wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:25 pm There is no such thing as "real Christian women ', or men for that matter. [See the One True Scotsman fallacy]

There is no agreement anong Christians as to biblical script being "the word of God" and no evidence has ever been presented which validates the claim.

THEREFORE

The script is likely the mere Opinion of the author who wrote it.

Also to note:

The Creator obviously left it up to humans to dress themselves as they choose depending on circumstace.
Yes. Humans do have free will. Will they be judged for what they choose to do? Yes? No?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Benson wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:41 pm Scripture does give the long list above.
Depends how you define "long"? (Your list is not scripture, it is not part of the Mosaic law and it is not applicable to Christian women). One cannot compile a list with hundreds or even dozens of specific items women should or should not wear from things mentioned in the bible. Nylon stockings for example are not mentioned in scripture; whether a woman choses to wear them is entirely down to her own discretion.
Benson wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:41 pm Should we be aware of it?

Aware of your list or what the bible actually says? We should be aware of your list if one wants to participate in a meaningful debate in this thread but this thread and your list in this thread has, imho, no bearing on salvation. I wouldn't think any woman needs to be aware of what you have written in order to please God. And no, no Christian woman needs to be aware of a list that indicates God disapproves of wigs*, stockings and bonnets.

JW

* A faithful Christian woman suffering from aloplecia or undergoing Cancer treatement for example, might chose to wear a wig in public without fear her choice will lead to eternal damnation
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Benson »

Lol. Try to read where I said the verbatim list is right out of Isaiah. Remember, all Real Jews authenticate Prophet Isaiah.

Remember, look it up all by yourself!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Benson wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 am ....Try to read where I said the verbatim list is right out of Isaiah.

So we are talking about your arguably wildly speculative list regarding what modern day items might be prohibted for Hebrew women if they were alive today.

Well if that is your point, my response definitely stands, Isaiah contains some valuable principles for salvation but no your list is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever and no woman today, outside perhaps your own wife, need be concerned with it at all.

List dismissed. Anything else ?

JW

Benson
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Benson »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:21 am
Benson wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 am ....Try to read where I said the verbatim list is right out of Isaiah.

So we are talking about your arguably wildly speculative list regarding what modern day items might be prohibted for Hebrew women if they were alive today.

Well if that is your point, my response definitely stands, Isaiah contains some valuable principles for salvation but no your list is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever and no woman today, outside perhaps your own wife, need be concerned with it at all.

List dismissed. Anything else ?

JW
I am kind of curious, did you actually read the list in Isaiah itself from which I quoted, or are you just sharing your personal feelings about your attire?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by PinSeeker »

Isaiah 3 is not particularly about women at all, but about all Israelites... all God's people in Jerusalem and the tribe of Judah in particular and the judgment they will endure from Him for their pride, their arrogance, their oppressive actions, their lust, their lack of stewardship, and and their negligence in serving the Lord and ministering to the people... sin of all kinds, including idolatry... in spite of his grace and mercy. Yes, the latter part is devoted to how women will be on the receiving end of this judgment, but the larger part before that is devoted to men. Thus, all the people. Regarding women and verse 16 going forward, God says absolutely nothing about these possessions of women being "bad" or "evil" or sinful in and of themselves, but merely that they will be judged for their sin and punished by the taking away of these things because of their idolatry.

My goodness.

Grace and peace to all.