William
Savant

The Truth. The Whole Truth. Nothing But the Truth

Post #1

Post by William »

The Trinity of The Truth.
The Truth as succinctly defined: "The quality or state of being true."

The Truth expanded definition:
Truth is the property of being in accord with fact or reality.[1] In everyday language, truth is typically ascribed to things that aim to represent reality or otherwise correspond to it, such as beliefs, propositions, and declarative sentences.[2]
Truth is usually held to be the opposite of falsehood. The concept of truth is discussed and debated in various contexts, including philosophy, art, theology, and science. Most human activities depend upon the concept, where its nature as a concept is assumed rather than being a subject of discussion;
As a concept, the idea of their being "The Whole Truth" actually existing - and contained by human theology in the bodies of their preferred gods - the body of The Christian god [idea] is that this is the place in which The Whole Truth is Contained.

Just as the physical Universe can be observed as a whole one could say the existence of the Universe is The Whole Truth (what else which can be seen, exists apart from it?)

In both cases, as far as our understanding of 'The Truth" goes, no truth is without its missing bits. No truth is whole. We know bits about the Universe and bits about the Christian god [the Christians call "God" to differentiate] .

In that, while we know truth about the Universe [because we see it exists] we don't know the Whole Truth about the Universe, and that is where the idea we are within a Simulated Universe comes to the fore, because we don't know that we are not.

In that, the idea that a creator must have created us and placed us within the simulator [obviously a Realty Simulator] enter "God" stage left...which started out as "enter gods" before humans began to realize that one creator should be sufficient to the argument.

Christians claim that their god, God, created this Reality and placed us within it. Christians claim that their god, God, sent his son Jesus into our reality to declare that he was "The Truth".

The Truth?

The Whole Truth?

And Nothing but The Truth?

What actual evidence do Christians give to The World which The World can see plainly that they are right about Jesus, and their god, God?

None. They say that The Truth has to be accepted on faith, because it is dealing with another Universe which this Universe reality experience was created through. [the one begat the other]

I think that this is a reasonable argument, but in saying so, admit that in the case of that, we are not presented with The Whole Truth, so cannot call it by that name, which is to say, we cannot just accept in faith that the god Christians call God, is The Whole Truth, given the evidence supporting that idea is too small to make the loftier heights as position of The Whole Truth.

As presented by Christianity:

Jesus may be The Truth.

Jesus may also be Only The Truth.

But Jesus cannot be The Whole Truth.

Can my argument here, be considered Truth?

bjs1
Sage

Re: The Truth. The Whole Truth. Nothing But the Truth

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

William wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:37 pm Christians claim that their god, God, created this Reality and placed us within it. Christians claim that their god, God, sent his son Jesus into our reality to declare that he was "The Truth".

The Truth?

The Whole Truth?
Orthodox Christianity has always claimed that we do not know the whole truth of God. We see “through a glass darkly.” We are perfectly known, but we do not yet perfectly know.

If a person claimed to know the whole truth about God it would be a sure sign that he knows nothing about God.
William wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:37 pm Can my argument here, be considered Truth?
You might want to formalize your argument a bit more. At this point I honestly don’t know what your argument is.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:53 am
William wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:37 pm Christians claim that their god, God, created this Reality and placed us within it. Christians claim that their god, God, sent his son Jesus into our reality to declare that he was "The Truth".

The Truth?

The Whole Truth?
Orthodox Christianity has always claimed that we do not know the whole truth of God. We see “through a glass darkly.” We are perfectly known, but we do not yet perfectly know.

If a person claimed to know the whole truth about God it would be a sure sign that he knows nothing about God.
William wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:37 pm Can my argument here, be considered Truth?
You might want to formalize your argument a bit more. At this point I honestly don’t know what your argument is.
Jesus may be The Truth.

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

William wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:54 am

The Truth?

The Whole Truth?

Jesus may be The Truth.

That is not an argument. It is a series of statements. The first two are obviously true since they don’t actually say anything. The last one is the only meaningful statement, and you have given us no reason to think that it is true.

This site is focused on writing for school, but it might help you understand how to make an argument: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_spec ... ument.html
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:00 am
William wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:54 am

The Truth?

The Whole Truth?

Jesus may be The Truth.

That is not an argument. It is a series of statements. The first two are obviously true since they don’t actually say anything. The last one is the only meaningful statement, and you have given us no reason to think that it is true.

This site is focused on writing for school, but it might help you understand how to make an argument: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_spec ... ument.html
I am not saying you are incorrect here.

Let's see.

I start off by giving a definition of 'Truth' in line with the Thread Subject Heading.

I then make the statement:
"As a concept, the idea of their being "The Whole Truth" actually existing - and contained by human theology in the bodies of their preferred gods - the body of The Christian god [idea] is that this is the place in which The Whole Truth is Contained."

Perhaps that could have been worded better?

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

One of the questions for debate in the OP is this:

"What actual evidence do Christians give to The World which The World can see plainly that they are right about Jesus, and their god, God?"
Last edited by William on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

Overall, in reading the OP I would say the question to ask is;

How can any being which has form - [such as the god Christians imagine sits of a throne and is worshipped as "The Creator"]
be accepted as The actual Creator IF such a being cannot possibly be a representation of The Whole Truth?

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

In that, Christianty - while boasting that Jesus is 'The Truth", the boast shows us that;

1: Jesus may be The Truth.

2: Jesus may also be Only The Truth.

3: But Jesus cannot be The Whole Truth.

In other words, if Jesus were a storyteller and The Mansion was "The Whole Truth" Jesus (as represented by Christianity) sits on the porch of The Mansion and claims to know what it is like inside The Mansion and expects the listener to believe his words regarding that.

The storyteller may be telling the listener The Truth. The storyteller may only be speaking The Truth. But the storyteller cannot be telling the listener the Whole Truth.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

But Jesus did give the whole truth. Basically, he said, "Accept my gift of salvation and live. Don't accept my gift of salvation and die. Your choice." That's the gospel in a nutshell. What more does he need to add to that? He gave evidence of who he was and it was recorded. You may reject that evidence if you wish to, but it seems disingenuous to me to deny that evidence was given and that, for some, that evidence is compelling.

Jesus made it clear that there would always be some who would reject him. Many times, he said, "Let those who have ears to hear, hear." This is an acknowledgment that not everyone will listen. It's a matter of choice.

As for it not being possible for Jesus to be the Whole Truth, why not? Just because someone may not understand that he is the Whole Truth, that doesn't mean that he is NOT the Whole Truth. Who he is does not depend on our understanding him 100 per cent. It is possible to know something partly and still know it correctly and truly. The Whole Truth will always be the Whole Truth whether people believe it or not.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

"Your word is truth"

- Jesus Christ (John 17:17)
For Christians, religious truth (all that pertains to the realities regarding the True God and the worship if Him) is believed to be contained in the inspired word if God.

JW

For more information please go to other posts related to...

FAITH, TRUTH and ...RELIGION
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8