Like Sheep Among Wolves;

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Like Sheep Among Wolves;

Post #1

Post by William »

It is an interesting expression given we usually see the phrase spoken as "Like Wolves Among Sheep." signifying how wolves come in to steal sheep away from the shepherd.

Usually the competition [for the sheep] is between the Shepherd and the Wolves. Both are going to eat the sheep but the Shepard farms his sheep whereas the Wolves hunt the sheep.

The Shepherd has sheep gathered together rather than 'sending them out among the wolves' so what does the saying mean?

Why would a shepherd send sheep out into dangerous situations? How do the sheep get away with not being eaten? What is the result of having sheep among the wolves?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Like Sheep Among Wolves;

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SPOKE OF SENDING HIS SHEEP AMONGST WOLVES?
  • The Shepherd has sheep gathered together rather than 'sending them out among the wolves' so what does the saying mean?
Jesus gathered his sheep in that he united his disciples under his guidance and protection. The "sending out" refers to their commission to preach the good news (not to any cessation of his care for them).

• Why would a shepherd send sheep out into dangerous situations?
Because it is God's will that the good news be preached. God's people faced no danger of lasting harm and their success was guaranteed.

• How do the sheep get away with not being eaten?
There is no mention of the sheep "being eaten"

• What is the result of having sheep among the wolves?
That would depend on who or what is protecting the sheep (see above).

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses

JW

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus mean to insult his followers by comparing them to sheep?
viewtopic.php?p=991216#p991216

Who were the sheep in Jesus illustration of "the sheep and the goats" referring to?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 4#p1005934

Who are the "other sheep" of John chapter 10?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 5#p1022935
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SHEEP, ANIMALS and ... THE EARTHLY PARSDISE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]
Because it is God's will that the good news be preached. God's people faced no danger of lasting harm and their success was guaranteed.
Was this because they were wise as serpents?
There is mention of the Shepard's flesh being eaten and his blood being swallowed. Aside from that, there is the mention of sheep in relation to shepherd. We know that shepherds farm the wool off the sheep's back. We also know that sheep go to the slaughter to be consumed. [eaten]
Q: What is the result of having sheep among the wolves?
That would depend on who or what is protecting the sheep.
Since we now have history - what was the result of having sheep among the wolves?

I relation to the 'is' [present] can you yourself give any example from personal experience of what it is like to be a sheep among wolves?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 am WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SPOKE OF SENDING HIS SHEEP AMONGST WOLVES?
  • The Shepherd has sheep gathered together rather than 'sending them out among the wolves' so what does the saying mean?
Jesus gathered his sheep in that he united his disciples under his guidance and protection. The "sending out" refers to their commission to preach the good news (not to any cessation of his care for them).

• Why would a shepherd send sheep out into dangerous situations?

• How do the sheep get away with not being eaten?

• What is the result of having sheep among the wolves?
That would depend on who or what is protecting the sheep (see above).

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses

JW

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus mean to insult his followers by comparing them to sheep?
viewtopic.php?p=991216#p991216

Who were the sheep in Jesus illustration of "the sheep and the goats" referring to?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 4#p1005934

Who are the "other sheep" of John chapter 10?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 5#p1022935
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SHEEP, ANIMALS and ... THE EARTHLY PARSDISE
I can't get enough of Larson. He's hilarious! Thanks for reminding me of that!
The Shepherd has sheep gathered together rather than 'sending them out among the wolves' so what does the saying mean?
Without speaking directly to the one who said it, it's impossible to tell for sure. Seems anyone that sends sheep out to the wolves are doing so to eliminate some sheep. Or feed the wolves. Or both.
Why would a shepherd send sheep out into dangerous situations?
Some shepherds are good shepherds it seems.
How do the sheep get away with not being eaten?
Maybe the wolves get full. Sort of like sea turtles. So many are born that the predators get full and some make it to the ocean.
What is the result of having sheep among the wolves?
Full wolves and the thinning of the sheep's herd I suspect.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

William wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:40 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]
No, in my opinion it was because they [the disciples of Christ] had God's blessing and protection.

William wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:40 pm Since we now have history - what was the result of having sheep among the wolves?
The successful fulfillment of their divine commission to establish the congregation and preach the good news to people of other nations.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

William wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:40 pm
[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]
No, in my opinion it was because they [the disciples of Christ] had God's blessing and protection.
Yet Jesus counselled them to be as wise as Serpents. They thus had to figure out ways in which to survive in order to inject the good news into the human drama [among the wolves].
Does your opinion therefore align with the good shepherd's instruction?

William wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:40 pm Since we now have history - what was the result of having sheep among the wolves?
The successful fulfillment of their divine commission to establish the congregation and preach the good news to people of other nations.
The Church yes?
In relation to being a sheep in wolves clothing, can you yourself give any example from personal experience of what it is like to be a sheep among wolves?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

William wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:15 pm
Yet Jesus counselled them to be as wise as Serpents. ..Does your opinion therefore align with the good shepherd's instruction?
Yes. I like to think all my opinions align with the good shepherd's instruction.

JW

RELATED POSTS

How should we understand the Edenic curse of the serpent in Genesis chapter 3?
viewtopic.php?p=836127#p836127

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

Yet Jesus counselled them to be as wise as Serpents. They thus had to figure out ways in which to survive in order to inject the good news into the human drama [among the wolves].

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]
Yes. I like to think all my opinions align with the good shepherd's instruction.
So you too "figure out ways in which to survive in order to inject the good news into the human drama [among the wolves]."?

(I ask because you chose to take that part out of my original quote)

And I ask you for the third time;

"In relation to being a sheep in wolves clothing, can you yourself give any example from personal experience of what it is like to be a sheep among wolves?"

If you cannot do so, I will take that as a 'no'.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

William wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:25 am Yet Jesus counselled them to be as wise as Serpents. They thus had to figure out ways in which to survive in order to inject the good news into the human drama [among the wolves].

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #7]
So you too "figure out ways in which to survive in order to inject the good news into the human drama [among the wolves]."?

I don't loaded questions. I have no objection to Jesus words your interpretation of what he meant is your own and I claim no ownership of them.

JW

bjs1
Sage

Post #10

Post by bjs1 »

William wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 pm It is an interesting expression given we usually see the phrase spoken as "Like Wolves Among Sheep." signifying how wolves come in to steal sheep away from the shepherd.

Usually the competition [for the sheep] is between the Shepherd and the Wolves. Both are going to eat the sheep but the Shepard farms his sheep whereas the Wolves hunt the sheep.
This is partly inaccurate. Lambs were often eaten by people in the ancient world, but sheep (ewes and rams over one year old) were kept for wool, milk or breeding. They were almost never eaten.

William wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 pm The Shepherd has sheep gathered together rather than 'sending them out among the wolves' so what does the saying mean?

Why would a shepherd send sheep out into dangerous situations? How do the sheep get away with not being eaten? What is the result of having sheep among the wolves?

Part of the point of Jesus’ words was the subversion of expectations. People wanted to be sent out as wolves among sheep. Jesus sent them out as sheep among wolves.

He calls us to innocence, compassion and mercy that is fundamentally risky in the world. He was pointing out that being his disciple puts us in danger of being abused, and maintaining our discipleship means that we consider the risk to be worthwhile.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin