Why Are The Missing Years Of Jesus Missing?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Why Are The Missing Years Of Jesus Missing?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Between the ages of twelve and thirty the life of Jesus is unaccounted for. No written record and no tales told. Of course this hasn't prevented people from concocting stories about him during this period, from wild tales of him traveling to India to study with mystics to those having him appearing in North America, all extra-biblical of course.

So, is there nothing one can glean from the gospels? Well, Mark does imply he was a "blue color" worker, a carpenter; however, the parallel text of Matthew implies he's only a carpenter's son---the implication here being that because of Jesus's exalted position, mention of his father's occupation would have taken second place to the mention of Jesus occupation, unless Jesus was not a carpenter or significantly anything else. So Matthew is not supporting Mark's contention, but rather throws it in doubt.

Because it's said Jesus could read after he had turned thirty---in a synagogue he reads from the scroll of the prophets----it's likely he was at least somewhat formally educated, but aside from all the social and cultural influences and practices that all other males during this time went through, this is all one can definitely say about Jesus's life during the missing years. He learned how to read.

So, why is the bible silent about all these years? Years of the most significant person to ever have walked the earth, so it's been contended. Surmising that he was probably formally taught to read is hardly worth writing home about. So in effect, there is nothing.

What do you make of it? Have the missing years gone missing on purpose perhaps?

bjs1
Sage

Re: Why Are The Missing Years Of Jesus Missing?

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Two simple reasons come to mind.

First, no one was there to write down the events. Jesus’ disciples were likely the source, directly or indirectly, for the Gospels. They were not with Jesus prior to him turning 30. The few stories we do have likely came from his mother, and (especially in Matthew) have sparser details. The disciples wrote what they knew, and most of their knowledge came from the three years they were actually with Jesus.

Second, those event were less important. The Gospels are telling a clear and pointed story. The accounts the Evangelists chose to record were not arbitrary. They did not waste space and they did not include information that the readers did not need. What Jesus did prior to his public ministry was less important than the events of the public ministry itself.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

Miles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:30 pmWhat do you make of it?
The parts that are missing offered weren't necessary for the gospel stories:
  • Mark's Jesus wasn't the Christ until he was baptized in the Jordan, so his life before that was inconsequential.
  • Matthew's Jesus was the new Moses, so he had only enough youth narrative to create that parallel (most of Moses' years are "missing" in the same way).
  • Luke's Jesus was both more plausible than Matthew's and more friendly to the Roman Empire. Luke needed just enough youth and origin narrative to replace Matthew's.
  • John's Jesus is all about his connection to the divine. Infancy stories could only serve to focus on his humanity.
Miles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:30 pmHave the missing years gone missing on purpose perhaps?
Do you have something in mind?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:48 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

Two simple reasons come to mind.

First, no one was there to write down the events. Jesus’ disciples were likely the source, directly or indirectly, for the Gospels. They were not with Jesus prior to him turning 30. The few stories we do have likely came from his mother, and (especially in Matthew) have sparser details. The disciples wrote what they knew, and most of their knowledge came from the three years they were actually with Jesus.
Unfortunately I guess, the authorship of the gospels is unknown. According to many scholars there is no evidence the gospels were written by the four evangelists; rather, "Matthew," "Mark," "Luke," and "John" were simply names assigned to the four. And perhaps some of the tales were handed down from his mother, but what does this have to do with his missing years?

Second, those event were less important.
I take this as pure conjecture, unless, that is, you have evidence this is the case.

The Gospels are telling a clear and pointed story.
Considering how much the four are in disagreement I would hardly call their telling "clear." Simply consider the difference we find in the parallel texts in Matthew and Mark about who the carpenter was.

Mark 6:3
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Matthew 13:55

Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary and his brethren James and Joseph, and Simon and Judas?

And let's not forget the two contradictory genealogies for Joseph (Matthew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38). OR what the women did when they left the tomb.

The women reported the resurrection to the men (Matt. 28:8).
The women did not report the resurrection to the men (Mark 16:8).

The accounts the Evangelists chose to record were not arbitrary. They did not waste space and they did not include information that the readers did not need.
Considering the many repetitive accounts among the gospels the I'd say it's a considerable waste of space. All four retell how John the Baptist began telling people of a message from God.

Matthew 3:1-6
Mark 1:2-6
Luke 3:1-6
John 1:19-23

Then there are the following accounts, all repeated in all four gospels:

Like the Journey into Galilee (Matthew 4:12 et al), His ministry in Galilee (Mat 4:13-17, et al). His healing of the paralytic (Mat. 9:1-8). The story of the Woman with the Ointment (Mat. 26:6-13 et al). Story of feeding the five thousand (Mat. 14:13-21 et al). The Day of the Son of Man (Mat.24:23 et al). The Anointing at Bethany (Mat.26: 5-13 et al).

Talk about wasted space.

What Jesus did prior to his public ministry was less important than the events of the public ministry itself.
And you know this to be a fact because . . . . . . ? . . . . . . . . . . Because what he did isn't reported?

Revelations won
Sage

Post #5

Post by Revelations won »

Miles has asked some interesting questions regarding the early years of the life of Christ.

I think that many assume that most of all the events of the early life of Christ are missing. We have these few events and statements recorded in the Bible as follows:

Luke 2:
And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.
And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

When Christ was twelve years old we have this singular account recorded when he was 12 years old:

Luke 2:
And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

The other account is found in Matthew which is the account of the wise men. It should be so observed that they in fact did not come to the newborn child the manger. It is possible that the visit from the wise men
May have occurred nearly 2 years after the birth of Christ.) One should so duly note that their visit was as follows:

Matthew 2:
And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

My response to Miles questions are as follows:

It is evident that Jesus “grew in wisdom and stature with God and man” from a very early stage.

2. At age 12 his wisdom and understanding of the law and gospel were astounding to the doctors of the law.

3. We are told that Mary “kept these things and, pondered them in her heart.

4. It is not unreasonable that she also may have kept a very personal and sacred diary of the many events in the early life of christ.

5. One should also observe that when the time came for Christ to embark on his three year ministry, that almost immediately the vile and ugly head of relentless persecution was his continual lot.

6. I think it was very wise for Mary to keep these early events very quiet to avoid the murderous persecution that surely would have erupted had the many wonderful early life events been known and published.

7. There is no record that the things in his early life have been “lost”.

8. In fact, we have very clear evidence from the Bible of a restoration of all things:

Matthew 17:
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

Acts 3:
And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Ephesians 1:
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

My take is that in “this dispensation of the fulness of times” we should be patient and allow the Lord to in his own due time bring forth those hidden or lost things to a righteous generation, pertaining to the early life of Christ.

Kind regards,
RW

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Probably because a 13-year-old is not a believable prophet to anyone.

I say this and it quite fits whether the gospels are true or not. No one would write that story whether they were writing fiction, or whether they were the main character writing their own life out on the parchment of reality.

In other words, it's not Jesus's fault that people respect big ugly homeless beards and not cracking voices. If he was real, he became the saviour when he could.

It seems clear from the time he ran off from his parents to be in the temple that he well knew what he was.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:43 pm Probably because a 13-year-old is not a believable prophet to anyone.
Really, why not? This guy was accepted as one at age four:

Marjoe Gortner

Hugh Marjoe Ross Gortner (born January 14, 1944)[1] is a former evangelist preacher and actor. He first gained public attention during the late 1940s when his parents arranged for him to be ordained as a preacher at age four, due to his extraordinary speaking ability. He was the youngest known in that position. As a young man, he preached on the revival circuit and brought celebrity to the revival movement.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoe_Gortner
Beyond that, there are a lot of years between the age of 13 and 29.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:47 pmReally, why not? This guy was accepted as one at age four:

Uhm... okay... that is... uhm... something...

Well at very least I have to revise my statement. I should be more careful when making universal statements about what is merely an overwhelming trend. (On a side note... That poor kid. I do not believe his parents should have the right to do that. But maybe he wanted to do it. Idk.)

I still stand by my basic assertion that it would have been very, very difficult for a 13-year-old to do anything Jesus did, such as gain followers, persuade people to give up their lives to follow him around, be a successful heretic - in other words, actually shift dogma, and at last be crucified. Did they even crucify children?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:10 pmUhm... okay... that is... uhm... something...

Well at very least I have to revise my statement. I should be more careful when making universal statements about what is merely an overwhelming trend. (On a side note... That poor kid. I do not believe his parents should have the right to do that. But maybe he wanted to do it. Idk.)
I assume the cat look means you've never seen the documentary Marjoe. It's genuinely one of my favorites and I rewatch it at least once every few months.

Here's a link to Marjoe at Vimeo.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:30 pm .

Between the ages of twelve and thirty the life of Jesus is unaccounted for. No written record and no tales told. Of course this hasn't prevented people from concocting stories about him during this period, from wild tales of him traveling to India to study with mystics to those having him appearing in North America, all extra-biblical of course.

So, is there nothing one can glean from the gospels? Well, Mark does imply he was a "blue color" worker, a carpenter; however, the parallel text of Matthew implies he's only a carpenter's son---the implication here being that because of Jesus's exalted position, mention of his father's occupation would have taken second place to the mention of Jesus occupation, unless Jesus was not a carpenter or significantly anything else. So Matthew is not supporting Mark's contention, but rather throws it in doubt.

Because it's said Jesus could read after he had turned thirty---in a synagogue he reads from the scroll of the prophets----it's likely he was at least somewhat formally educated, but aside from all the social and cultural influences and practices that all other males during this time went through, this is all one can definitely say about Jesus's life during the missing years. He learned how to read.

So, why is the bible silent about all these years? Years of the most significant person to ever have walked the earth, so it's been contended. Surmising that he was probably formally taught to read is hardly worth writing home about. So in effect, there is nothing.

What do you make of it? Have the missing years gone missing on purpose perhaps?

From what I've seen, they're only 'missing' in the current bible - there are books written about a young, teenage Jesus. But it's not included in canon, as I understood it, because it painted him as a spoiled kid that acted like a brat towards Mary and Joseph (a lot of times). The church didn't like that and elected not to include them - calling these books, in part, heresy and lies.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!