Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tam
Savant

Sola Scriptura?

Post #1

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,

On another thread, the topic of errors in scripture came up, and a member posted the following:
Sola Scriptura -- Scripture alone -- concerns the relation between Scripture and tradition, and affirms that Scripture is to be understood as the sole source of divine revelation, the only inspired, infallible, final, and authoritative norm of faith and practice... Scripture is “God-breathed” (2 Tim. 3:16); what Scripture says, God says

Do you see any flaws in the above description, and if so, what flaw (or flaws, if more than one) do you see? I see at least one (stands out like a flashing neon light to me), but I will wait to respond.

Peace again to you!

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Sola Scriptura?

Post #61

Post by onewithhim »

tam wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 pm Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:22 am
tam wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:15 pm Peace to you,

[Replying to onewithhim in post #58]

I do not see how that responds to my post or to the questions I asked in my post. You can insert scroll for scriptures or bible if you prefer, but that does not change anything from my post.
To me it is counterproductive to strain at the gnat of the words you are arguing about. Jesus is "the Word (Logos)" and he always transferred, if you will, the Father's intent (His words) to humans through the scrolls, at the time of Jesus, and through the whole Bible canon these days.
But that (the underlined) is not true, owh. He SPOKE, He asked questions, He told parables, He explained the meaning of His parables to His disciples; He gave commands and instructions; He pointed out hypocrisy; taught things that were true from the beginning ("Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. Now I tell you..." Matt 19:8...)

He continued to speak and teach and command after His death, resurrection and ascension, as even the bible records (Acts 8:29, Acts 9:4-6; Acts 9:10-17; Acts 10:19; and of course the Revelation given to John; and of course Christ's own words that His sheep listen to His voice, not just those alive at that time, but also the sheep that He was yet to bring: I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice;)

Peace again to you, and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
True.

But there came a time when the Bible canon would be complete. Paul indicated that: I Corinthians 13:8-10. We have enough in the Bible as much as knowledge is needed. In verse 10 Paul clearly says: "when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with." We will have what we need to function as grown people.

tam
Savant

Post #62

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm

I do not see how that responds to my post or to the questions I asked in my post. You can insert scroll for scriptures or bible if you prefer, but that does not change anything from my post.
To me it is counterproductive to strain at the gnat of the words you are arguing about. Jesus is "the Word (Logos)" and he always transferred, if you will, the Father's intent (His words) to humans through the scrolls, at the time of Jesus, and through the whole Bible canon these days.
But that (the underlined) is not true, owh. He SPOKE, He asked questions, He told parables, He explained the meaning of His parables to His disciples; He gave commands and instructions; He pointed out hypocrisy; taught things that were true from the beginning ("Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. Now I tell you..." Matt 19:8...)

He continued to speak and teach and command after His death, resurrection and ascension, as even the bible records (Acts 8:29, Acts 9:4-6; Acts 9:10-17; Acts 10:19; and of course the Revelation given to John; and of course Christ's own words that His sheep listen to His voice, not just those alive at that time, but also the sheep that He was yet to bring: I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice;)

tammy
True.
Okay then. And isn't Christ still calling His sheep, who He must bring and who will hear His voice (as He said)?
But there came a time when the Bible canon would be complete. Paul indicated that: I Corinthians 13:8-10. We have enough in the Bible as much as knowledge is needed. In verse 10 Paul clearly says: "when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with." We will have what we need to function as grown people.

What makes you think Paul is talking about the bible?

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Isn't it complete when Christ returns and establishes the Kingdom upon the earth - isn't that when the 'face to face' occurs?

How could reading something second-hand (such as when a person reads the accounts in the Bible) be more "face to face" than direct communication with Christ Himself? The direct communication that you accept did happen after His death, resurrection, and ascension?

Peace again to you!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #63

Post by onewithhim »

tam wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:15 pm Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm

tammy
True.
Okay then. And isn't Christ still calling His sheep, who He must bring and who will hear His voice (as He said)?

What makes you think Paul is talking about the bible?

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Isn't it complete when Christ returns and establishes the Kingdom upon the earth - isn't that when the 'face to face' occurs?

How could reading something second-hand (such as when a person reads the accounts in the Bible) be more "face to face" than direct communication with Christ Himself? The direct communication that you accept did happen after His death, resurrection, and ascension?

Peace again to you!
Peace to you as well.