Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tam
Savant

Sola Scriptura?

Post #1

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,

On another thread, the topic of errors in scripture came up, and a member posted the following:
Sola Scriptura -- Scripture alone -- concerns the relation between Scripture and tradition, and affirms that Scripture is to be understood as the sole source of divine revelation, the only inspired, infallible, final, and authoritative norm of faith and practice... Scripture is “God-breathed” (2 Tim. 3:16); what Scripture says, God says

Do you see any flaws in the above description, and if so, what flaw (or flaws, if more than one) do you see? I see at least one (stands out like a flashing neon light to me), but I will wait to respond.

Peace again to you!

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Sola Scriptura?

Post #21

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 am Peace again to you both,

...And yet all the 'sola scriptura' and 'studying of the scriptures and/or the bible', and Christ is not the one who is being obeyed.
That's because many are not 'sola scriptura' though they say they are. There are many doctrines that are in direct conflict with the Bible though a person may say they are sola scriptura. Tradition is held higher than what the Bible says. Even a simple look at the surface of most religions and it's not too hard to find practices that are not Bible based practices. Take Easter for example that is coming up soon. There were no bunnies or eggs used in a celebration of the resurrection of Christ in the Bible. There is no repetitive celebration of his resurrection recorded in the Bible at all. There are many doctrines like this that people practice who say they are sola scriptura but the practice is not in the Scriptures.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to tam in post #21]

John 1:3 "All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence."

Colossians 1:15-18 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all other things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the congregation."

Jesus used the Bible and not his own words to rebuke Satan. If it's good enough for Jesus to use against Satan to correct his thinking, the ultimate evil in the universe, it's good enough to use correct anything!

If everything came to be through Jesus then I have no reason to believe that the Bible is not though him. If the Bible doesn't contain the word of God through Jesus, then what does? It can't be inside each individual because each individual is not unified with the others that claim the same thing. Those that say Jesus or God talks to the directly do not agree on the same teachings. These that say Christ speaks to them also in many cases do not show love toward one another. Sometimes it's straight up hate. The fruit that is produced by those that say Jesus or God speaks to them directly in someway doesn't hold up.

However, true study of the Bible of a humble person that wants to please God well and not just follow what they want to do, does lead to unity and love. I've seen it over and over.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by PinSeeker »

tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:03 pm Nothing you have said here changes what I said.
And again, the very same to you.

Grace and peace to you, Tammy.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by PinSeeker »

tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm There is a big difference between Acts (and Luke) and Revelation.
Nope. Scripture is Scripture. The Holy Spirit wrote what He wrote (in this case through Luke and John, respectively). It's all God-breathed.

tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm John received revelation - he was taken in the spirit, heard and saw many things, and was told (in the spirit) to write it down. John is very clear about this, how he received what he saw and heard, as well as from whom. Same as the prophets before him (the Word of God came to Ezekiel...)

This is not what happens in the books that Luke writes. Luke states up front that he investigated the things he wrote, things that had been handed down to them by eyewitnesses, so that he could write an orderly report for Theophilus.
Yes, I agree. Luke was not a prophet. But that doesn't change what I said above.

tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm Paul also changed something he taught (because he made a mistake at the start, and learned later the truth from Christ).

"Are you not to judge those inside (the Church)?" 1Corinth 5:12

"Let us stop judging one another." Romans 14:13 (and he is speaking about those in the church here; see Romans 14:4, 10)

They cannot both be true, therefore they cannot both be inspired. But we can know the latter is true - if indeed we are listening to Christ - because Christ told us not to judge (Do not judge, or you will be judged).
Paul is talking about two different things here... related, but different... as Christ Himself was in the very passage to which you refer, Matthew 7:1-6 --
  • "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you."
Up to the last verse in that passage, He is talking about judging others for their sin, in the sense of condemnation for sin, which is solely God's place and only He is able to do. Christ admonishes us not to do that, both because we are presuming to take the place of God and because we would be heaping burning coals on our own heads, because we ourselves are egregiously guilty of sin (whether we realize it or not) and thus are exposed as hypocrites. It is in this sense that Paul is telling us to "stop judging one another" in Romans 14. Yes, he is speaking about those in the church; he's speaking precisely of what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 7:1-5..

But in that last verse, Christ in Matthew 7:6 is exhorting us to know "dogs" and 'pigs" for who they are -- not that they are actually dogs or pigs, but unrepentant sinners. Christ is here referring to animals that were unclean according to Old Testament Law and telling us as believers not to fall into the same sin as they or waste our time with them. We are to hold on to our "pearls," which here symbolize the great value of the message of the kingdom of heaven. Believers are surely to be merciful and forgiving, but they should wisely discern the true character of people who are unrepentant and adamantly rejecting of the Gospel so that they are not deterred in their proclaiming of the Gospel to others. And in this discerning, they are to make judgments for themselves, not in the sense of condemning, but knowing when they are "talking to a brick wall," as it were, and wasting time at the expense of others.

Regarding what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 5, there he is speaking about those in the church, too, but it is quite a different thing that what Christ was addressing in Matthew 7. The situation here is of a particular case of a man in their church involved in incest. In 1 Corinthians 5:1-13, Paul first tells the Corinthians that God has set certain boundaries to mark out His people as His own, and that they need to maintain these boundaries through church discipline, which is actually a merciful and graceful thing, the purpose of which is to direct the person back to Christ in love rather than any sort of condemnation. Even God disciplines those He loves (Hebrews 12:6), right?

Yeah, so, Paul did not contradict himself in any way whatsoever. Because the Holy Spirit did not. :)

tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm But this is a good example of something that happens when a person thinks that the bible is the authority, instead of Christ being their authority...
No, but this is a fabulous example of not completely understanding what Christ actually said and how all of Scripture lines up perfectly with it.

Grace and peace to you.

tam
Savant

Post #25

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:49 am
tam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 am Peace again to you both,

...And yet all the 'sola scriptura' and 'studying of the scriptures and/or the bible', and Christ is not the one who is being obeyed.
That's because many are not 'sola scriptura' though they say they are.

I must disagree, dear timothy. I am sure you would say that you are sola scriptura (to the best of your ability at least). But that does not mean obeying Christ, such as on the matters posted on the previous page (re: the command to eat and to drink - which is NOT only for those who are anointed, but is for anyone who is thirsting and anyone who wishes to obey Christ). Instead - in most cases - a religion teaches the opposite of what Christ commanded, and the religion is obeyed.

Obedience is about love though (John 14:21). Who do we love the MOST?
There are many doctrines that are in direct conflict with the Bible though a person may say they are sola scriptura. Tradition is held higher than what the Bible says. Even a simple look at the surface of most religions and it's not too hard to find practices that are not Bible based practices. Take Easter for example that is coming up soon. There were no bunnies or eggs used in a celebration of the resurrection of Christ in the Bible. There is no repetitive celebration of his resurrection recorded in the Bible at all. There are many doctrines like this that people practice who say they are sola scriptura but the practice is not in the Scriptures.
Yes, this can be true as well. But it is the same with 'sola scriptura' and 'diligently studying the scriptures'. Because people are looking to the scriptures, to a book, and that is coming first, even before Christ. Though even if you were only going by the bible (at least to start), then Christ's words in the bible should come before all other words in the bible, right? And if a person truly seeks the Son, truly seeks to listen to Him (out of love for the Father and for the Father's Son)... well... then the promise from Christ - who does not lie - is..."seek and you will find."

My Father in heaven led me to His Son when I sought to know Him (the Father), His (the Father's) Truth. Once I stopped looking to religion and its teachings for truth (2 Corinth 6:17), and understood/said/decided that I would listen only to HIS SON - the One to whom the Father led me and the One to whom the Father has told us to listen - after that I received my anointing with holy spirit. I did not understand at the time what had happened. (My Lord told me later, when I asked about it.) I just remember feeling a warm breeze wash over me, and peace, utter peace.

My Lord Jaheshua has never led me wrong, and He has never lied to me.

And I can testify to the truth that He promised,

"If anyone loves me, they will obey my teaching. My father will love them and we will come to them and make our home with(in) them." John 14:23

May anyone who wishes them be given ears to hear, that you hear the Spirit (Christ) and the Bride say to you "Come!" May anyone who thirsts and anyone who chooses, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of life!"

(which water is holy spirit, poured out from Christ, given to Him without end from His Father)

Peace again to you, and to your loved ones,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Last edited by tam on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tam
Savant

Post #26

Post by tam »

Peace again to you timothy!

(I also responded to your previous post just above this one)
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 am [Replying to tam in post #21]

John 1:3 "All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence."

Colossians 1:15-18 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all other things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the congregation."

Jesus used the Bible and not his own words to rebuke Satan. If it's good enough for Jesus to use against Satan to correct his thinking, the ultimate evil in the universe, it's good enough to use correct anything!
In the specific instance you are referring to, Christ used scripture in order to rebuff Satan (Satan also used scripture in an attempt to deceive Christ into sinning). In another instance, Christ simply said, "Get thee behind me, Satan."

If the Bible doesn't contain the word of God through Jesus, then what does?

Not what. Who. Christ is Himself the word of God, and He speaks the words of God. He is a living person.
It can't be inside each individual because each individual is not unified with the others that claim the same thing.
No other individual is the Word of God. Christ is the Word of God. We can share as He has taught us (and He and His Father can dwell within us, make their home within us, by means of holy spirit), but if one wants to know the truth of any matter, then one must come and listen to the Truth (Christ, the True and Living Word of God).

Those that say Jesus or God talks to the directly do not agree on the same teachings.
Matt 24:4,5; Matt 24:24; and sometimes also Acts 18:24-26

The above is true of individual people as well as of individual religions.

So we must test all things; hold all things up against the Light (that Light is Christ). Remain in HIM so as not to be deceived.
These that say Christ speaks to them also in many cases do not show love toward one another.

See above.

Sometimes it's straight up hate. The fruit that is produced by those that say Jesus or God speaks to them directly in someway doesn't hold up.
Again see above.

(Though Christ speaks to everyone, but not everyone listens to - or even recognizes - His voice. His sheep, however, listen to His voice.)

Peace again to you dear timothy, and to your loved ones,
tammy

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to tam in post #27]
In the specific instance you are referring to, Christ used scripture in order to rebuff Satan (Satan also used scripture in an attempt to deceive Christ into sinning). In another instance, Christ simply said, "Get thee behind me, Satan."
Pertinent. Jesus was just using the same script to contradict Satan's use of said script. Thus "The Bible" can clearly be used to contradict itself, in any given situation where it is used at all, hence, Christian argument regarding interpretation of Bible script has been for 2000 years, like a snake swallowing its own tail. [going nowhere in particular]

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #28

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to tam in post #27]
No so fast there dear. He didn't just say 'Get behind me Satan'. The scripture reads, "Then Jesus told him, “Go away, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him. ” Matthew 4:10. Jesus was quoting Deuteronomy 6:13.

Though thank you for an example of how to misuse the Bible by leaving off part of a scripture to support personal agenda.

Just because someone misuses something or twists its meaning doesn't make it worthless, have a lesser value or false. If someone uses the Bible for evil means that doesn't make it the Bible's or God's fault. This is flawed logic. If you wrote a letter to someone and someone twisted what it said when reading it to someone else, does that mean you didn't actually write that letter? Of course not. Satan's misuse or anyone else's misuse of the Bible should be a reason to not trust the Bible. Not trusting the person leaving off parts of the scriptures, sure.

tam
Savant

Post #29

Post by tam »

Peace to you timothy,
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:35 am [Replying to tam in post #27]
No so fast there dear. He didn't just say 'Get behind me Satan'. The scripture reads, "Then Jesus told him, “Go away, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him. ” Matthew 4:10. Jesus was quoting Deuteronomy 6:13.

Though thank you for an example of how to misuse the Bible by leaving off part of a scripture to support personal agenda.
I was not referring to Matthew 4:10. I was referring to Matt 16:23. I am aware that Christ quotes what is written in Matthew 4, for he states it outright ("It is written")

Christ is not limited to using scripture; that is not really a controversial point, is it? He could quote scripture when teaching - especially when others used scripture to teach something false (as the Adversary did when trying to tempt Christ). But He could (and did) also simply teach what is true without needing to quote from what is written.

(though I've no doubt that His teachings are supported by something that is written somewhere)

Just because someone misuses something or twists its meaning doesn't make it worthless, have a lesser value or false. If someone uses the Bible for evil means that doesn't make it the Bible's or God's fault. This is flawed logic.

I never said otherwise, timothy.

Peace again to you,
tammy

tam
Savant

Post #30

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
William wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:46 pm [Replying to tam in post #27]
Pertinent. Jesus was just using the same script to contradict Satan's use of said script. Thus "The Bible" can clearly be used to contradict itself, in any given situation where it is used at all, hence, Christian argument regarding interpretation of Bible script has been for 2000 years, like a snake swallowing its own tail. [going nowhere in particular]
It can be used to correct a false use of it, sure.

Of course, to understand what is truly written, requires listening to Christ. He is the One who opens the scriptures.

Peace again to you.