Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tam
Savant

Sola Scriptura?

Post #1

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,

On another thread, the topic of errors in scripture came up, and a member posted the following:
Sola Scriptura -- Scripture alone -- concerns the relation between Scripture and tradition, and affirms that Scripture is to be understood as the sole source of divine revelation, the only inspired, infallible, final, and authoritative norm of faith and practice... Scripture is “God-breathed” (2 Tim. 3:16); what Scripture says, God says

Do you see any flaws in the above description, and if so, what flaw (or flaws, if more than one) do you see? I see at least one (stands out like a flashing neon light to me), but I will wait to respond.

Peace again to you!

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Sola Scriptura?

Post #31

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:50 pm
Just because someone misuses something or twists its meaning doesn't make it worthless, have a lesser value or false. If someone uses the Bible for evil means that doesn't make it the Bible's or God's fault. This is flawed logic.

I never said otherwise, timothy.
The below wasn't you?
(Satan also used scripture in an attempt to deceive Christ into sinning)
If it was, then why does the above matter to you? What is the point you're trying to make to the debate?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by 2timothy316 »

Christ is not limited to using scripture; that is not really a controversial point, is it? He could quote scripture when teaching - especially when others used scripture to teach something false (as the Adversary did when trying to tempt Christ). But He could (and did) also simply teach what is true without needing to quote from what is written.
Jesus not always quoting the Bible doesn't mean everything he said wasn't Bible based. Name one teaching that he taught that was not based in the Scriptures already.

tam
Savant

Post #33

Post by tam »

Peace again to you,
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm
Just because someone misuses something or twists its meaning doesn't make it worthless, have a lesser value or false. If someone uses the Bible for evil means that doesn't make it the Bible's or God's fault. This is flawed logic.

The below wasn't you?
If it was, then why does the above matter to you? What is the point you're trying to make to the debate?
It was simply true. The point that I had been making overall (from that post, in response to your post) was the following (which I see you just realized so this post might be moot at this point):

Christ is not limited to using scripture; that is not really a controversial point, is it? He could quote scripture when teaching - especially when others used scripture to teach something false (as the Adversary did when trying to tempt Christ). But He could (and did) also simply teach what is true without needing to quote from what is written.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:34 pm Peace again to you,
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

The below wasn't you?
It was simply true.
But not relevant.
The point that I had been making overall (from that post, in response to your post) was the following (which I see you just realized so this post might be moot at this point):

He doesn't have to quote the Bible every time. What teaching did Jesus teach that wasn't based in the Bible first?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #35

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:01 pm The Bible is not "Gods Word"

That is simply an idolatrous belief
So say you...that is your opinion. On this forum the Bible is said to be legitimate authority. Therefore, why attack it? Folks here are presenting their arguments supposedly in line with what the Bible says.

tam
Savant

Post #36

Post by tam »

[Replying to tam in post #34]

And I will add to my previous post (after "it was simply true"), that just because someone or some religion quotes something in scripture or in the bible to back up their words or teaching or doctrine, does not mean that their understanding or teaching is true. Anyone can quote from the scriptures or bible. Just as the Adversary did.

Test it - test all things - against Christ. Hold all things up against the LIGHT (Christ). He is the One to whom God said to listen; He is the Truth.

So if a religion (or person) says to so something that is the opposite of what Christ commanded - even if they 'use' scripture to back up their doctrine - you can know NOT to listen to THEM. You can give them Christ's words instead, and regardless of what they do with that, you can know to remain in Him, keeping HIS commands. Only Christ is the Truth, the One who IS the Word of God, the One who speaks just as His Father taught Him.

Peace again to you and to you all,
tammy

onewithhim
Savant

Post #37

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:53 am
tam wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 pm
Even IN what is written (though this is testimony rather than scripture), God said, "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him."
Should we listen to Jesus? Yes absolutely! Why? Peter said it best, "You have the words of eternal life." - John 6:68.

Where does Jesus get his information?

Romans 11:36 says. "For from him and through him and to him are all things." That would include the Bible. Where does he get his information to put into the Bible?
John 5:19 says, "So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise."
John 12:49 says, "For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak."

Those that think Jesus is saying something different than what the Bible says have not considered that what is in the Bible came through Jesus. Everything comes through him, that includes the Bible. Revelation even states this in it's first sentence, "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him." - Rev 1:1.

Therefore a person can listen to Jesus and still be Sola Scriptura. Even Jesus used the Scriptures to defend himself against Satan and not his own words. Even Jesus was Sola Scriptura. (Matthew 4:1-11)
I don't think it could be said any better, timothy. Jesus said to Jehovah, "Your Word is Truth." (John 17:17) What are Jehovah's words? Of course it is the Bible. Otherwise, the Bible is worthless.

tam
Savant

Post #38

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:51 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:53 am
tam wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:36 pm
Even IN what is written (though this is testimony rather than scripture), God said, "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him."
Should we listen to Jesus? Yes absolutely! Why? Peter said it best, "You have the words of eternal life." - John 6:68.

Where does Jesus get his information?

Romans 11:36 says. "For from him and through him and to him are all things." That would include the Bible. Where does he get his information to put into the Bible?
John 5:19 says, "So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise."
John 12:49 says, "For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak."

Those that think Jesus is saying something different than what the Bible says have not considered that what is in the Bible came through Jesus. Everything comes through him, that includes the Bible. Revelation even states this in it's first sentence, "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him." - Rev 1:1.

Therefore a person can listen to Jesus and still be Sola Scriptura. Even Jesus used the Scriptures to defend himself against Satan and not his own words. Even Jesus was Sola Scriptura. (Matthew 4:1-11)
I don't think it could be said any better, timothy. Jesus said to Jehovah, "Your Word is Truth." (John 17:17) What are Jehovah's words? Of course it is the Bible. Otherwise, the Bible is worthless.
Surely you do not think that when Christ said "Your Word is Truth" that He was referring to the bible?

Peace again to you,
tammy

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #39

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to tam in post #37]
I will ask again. Tell me one teaching that Jesus taught that was not already in the scriptures. His whole existence was in the scriptures and what he would do was in the scriptures.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #40

Post by 2timothy316 »

tam wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:01 pm

Surely you do not think that when Christ said "Your Word is Truth" that He was referring to the bible?
I have asked many this question, few are brave enough to answer. If the Bible isn't your source of God's truth than what do you use?