The Three Biblical Interpretations About Afterlife

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Three Biblical Interpretations About Afterlife

Post #1

Post by William »

Lately some of us have been arguing from three differing positions is which the bible can be used to defend all three. All three appear to agree that each individual has a "Soul" although there may be disagreement on what the exact function of a "Soul" is.

[1] A "Person" is "Spirit" and temporarily exists as a human being until the body dies then that "Person" enters an afterlife and is judged by "God" and is condemned or saved. Those saved go to "heaven" and those condemned go to "Hell" - or in some variances on this, are "exterminated".

[2] A "Person" a "Human being" and when the human being dies, that is the end of that person unless "God" judges them as "saved" in which case that person is resurrected and given a new body which will last forever more.

[3] A "Person" is an eternal Spirit in human form and when the body dies, that Spirit immediately moves to the next phase and either knowingly or unknowingly creates for their self, their next experience, based upon a combination of mainly what they believe, what their overall attitude is and what they did in the previous phase.

Often any different position which opposes another might logically mean that they both cannot be correct, assuming one or the other is true.

Both [1]&[2] fall into this category as they cannot both be true. [1]&[2] also both agree that [3] is false.

However, [3] Can be true without making the other two false.

And [3] - just as with [1]&[2] can be backed by the bible, depending on what parts of the bible once uses to do so.

The bible is interpreted throughout, based upon which position [1][2] or [3] is being used to interpret it through [the filter].

If [1]&[2] oppose each other but can still be "proven" by using the bible, then this makes the bible something of a contradiction.

But if [3] - although different from [1]&[2] does not oppose either [1]&[2] and can still be "proven" by using the bible just like [1]&[2], then [3] takes away the contradictory aspect of the bible which [1]&[2] create by being in opposition.

Question: Would it be fair to say therefore, that [3] is the best position to assume on the overall biblical script to do with the subject of the next phase [afterlife]?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The Three Biblical Interpretations About Afterlife

Post #101

Post by 2timothy316 »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:27 pm
Mankind knew the Word made flesh as Jesus Christ.

And still refer to the Word as such.
When Jesus sent his angel to tell John to write what we now know as the book of Revelation, what do you make of this scripture?

"I saw heaven opened, and look! a white horse. And the one seated on it is called Faithful and True, and he judges and carries on war in righteousness. His eyes are a fiery flame, and on his head are many diadems. He has a name written that no one knows but he himself, and he is clothed with an outer garment stained with blood, and he is called by the name The Word of God." - Rev 19:11-13

Who is this on this white horse? Is he made of flesh or a spirit and where does the Bible say he comes from?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #102

Post by PinSeeker »

William wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 pm
PinSeeker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pm It's you that's on the "trip," William. :D I'm glad you're enjoying it. Fair warning, though: It won't last. :D Grace and peace to you.
Not sure what you are arguing here pinseeker - you will have to give more details in order to get your argument across adequately enough for me to give a counter argument...what exactly are you warning 'won't last' and why?
I'm not really arguing anything, William, and I'm not really warning against anything. I mean what I say in the same vein as what we read in Acts 5, where Gamaliel says, "...if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail..." Again, grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #103

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am

When Jesus sent his angel to tell John to write what we now know as the book of Revelation, what do you make of this scripture?

"I saw heaven opened, and look! a white horse. And the one seated on it is called Faithful and True, and he judges and carries on war in righteousness. His eyes are a fiery flame, and on his head are many diadems. He has a name written that no one knows but he himself, and he is clothed with an outer garment stained with blood, and he is called by the name The Word of God." - Rev 19:11-13

Who is this on this white horse? Is he made of flesh or a spirit and where does the Bible say he comes from?
These verses are describing the Second Coming.

The Word is on the horse, He is a spirit, and comes from heaven.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #104

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:37 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:47 pm After The Word was "made flesh" did he continue to be a spiritual bodied being?
The Word did, the word made flesh was a man.
So, correct me if I am wrong, you are saying "the Word was made flesh" and after the Word was made flesh he continued to not be be flesh. Is that right?

JW
The Word is an immortal spirit which cannot cease to exist.

The Word made flesh was a man which had to perish.

The Word is God and the Word made flesh is the man Jesus Christ.

They were two separate beings during Jesus' life on the earth.

Jesus died as a man.

The Word has lived as a Spirit continuously from the "beginning."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #105

Post by JehovahsWitness »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:11 amThey were two separate beings during Jesus' life on the earth.

Can you expain more? So when the bible says "the Word was made flesh " you believe it means "The Word" originally and intelligent spirit being, SPLIT in half, and went from being one individual intelligent free will person, to two individual. Like an ameoba?

So for a while there were 4 individuels

1) Almighty God
2) The Holy spirit
3) The Word
4) The "clone" WORD

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #106

Post by 2timothy316 »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:58 am

Where was Jesus when he sent this information to John via angel in the 1st century?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #107

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 am
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:58 am

Where was Jesus when he sent this information to John via angel in the 1st century?
The Word was in heaven or where every He wanted to be at that time.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #108

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 am
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:11 amThey were two separate beings during Jesus' life on the earth.
Can you expain more? So when the bible says "the Word was made flesh " you believe it means "The Word" originally and intelligent spirit being, SPLIT in half, and went from being one individual intelligent free will person, to two individual. Like an ameoba?
No, I believe The Word became flesh through Mary giving birth to the man Jesus Christ.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 am So for a while there were 4 individuels

1) Almighty God
2) The Holy spirit
3) The Word
4) The "clone" WORD
Individual: a single human being as distinct from a group, class, or family.

God, The Holy Spirit, and The Word are not individuals.

Are you coining a new word "individuels" to apply to Gods?

Do you think God looks like us?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #109

Post by 2timothy316 »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:58 am The Word was in heaven or where every He wanted to be at that time.
I agree, that does seem like what the Bible indicates. Wouldn't that mean that between 33 CE and when he sent his angel to John around 96 CE Jesus went to heaven, which means he must be a spirit creature to be in Heaven? Yes?

Then I think the what question that needs answer is, why is it important in your mind that Jesus be raised as a fleshly creature only to become a spirit creature at some point before 96 CE?
Which would pay the ransom according to the Bible? Jesus' fleshly body or a fleshly resurrection?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #110

Post by myth-one.com »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:13 am
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:58 am The Word was in heaven or where every He wanted to be at that time.
I agree, that does seem like what the Bible indicates. Wouldn't that mean that between 33 CE and when he sent his angel to John around 96 CE Jesus went to heaven, which means he must be a spirit creature to be in Heaven? Yes?

Then I think the what question that needs answer is, why is it important in your mind that Jesus be raised as a fleshly creature only to become a spirit creature at some point before 96 CE?
Which would pay the ransom according to the Bible? Jesus' fleshly body or a fleshly resurrection?
In a few words, what is the mechanism by which believers are saved.

That is, how does the ransom work?

Thanks in advance.