Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Post #1

Post by Miles »

After reading another thread mentioning Jehovah's Witnesses I became interested in their beliefs about blood. They reject blood transfusions and don't eat meat with more than a trace of blood in it. Searching around a bit I came across the following from a pro-JW web site.

"Do Jehovah's Witnesses Eat Red Meat Since it May Contain a Trace of Blood?

Though Christians are to abstain from blood (Acts 15:29), the Bible shows that the eating of flesh by Christians is proper, for God Himself told us that we could eat meat from "every animal". "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for YOU." (Gen. 9:3)

But God commanded that before eating the flesh of an animal, his people were to pour out its blood on the ground and cover it with dust, being careful not to eat the blood, on pain of death. (Deut. 12:23-25; Lev. 7:27) This is our way for us to show respect for God's view of life.

So when someone carefully takes the strict precautions that God outlined by making sure that an animal is properly bled before consumption, they wouldn't be breaking God's command of eating blood. Since God Himself has issued these directions, obviously, if properly done, God does not have a problem with eating the meat from "every animal".

People can rest assured that nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is why you don’t see blood in raw “white meat”; only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store. (Also see: The Red Juice in Raw Meat is Not Blood (todayifoundit.com)"
source
(My emphasis)

However, from a comprehensive explanation of the slaughtering of animals: (I urge anyone who's interested to access the link below)

"Blood loss as a percentage of body weight differs between species: cows, 4.2 to 5.7%; calves, 4.4 to 6.7%; sheep, 4.4 to 7.6%; and pigs, 1.5 to 5.8%. Blood content as a percentage of live weight may decrease in heavier animals since the growth of blood volume does not keep pace with growth of live weight. Approximately 60% of blood is lost at sticking *, 20-25% remains in the viscera, while a maximum of 10% may remain in carcass muscles."
source

So my question is, if the muscle (meat) can contain up to 10% of an animal's blood wouldn't this make it unacceptable to Jehovah's Witnesses?

*"Cattle and pigs are usually exsanguinated [drained of blood] by a puncture wound which opens the major blood vessels at the base of the neck, not far from the heart. The trade name for this process is sticking"
Source: ibid.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses And Blood

Post #2

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

As it was explained, as long as the meat has gone through the draining process, it is permissible to eat. Jehovah looks at the INTENT. When people process an animal to drain the blood, those people have followed His requirements. All the blood that CAN be drained is undoubtedly drained, and whatever is left is miniscule and probably couldn't be drained any further unless someone sucked on the meat. (Most of the red color is not blood anyway, as was brought out in the JW literature.) Jehovah is satisfied with the efforts to drain the blood.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:14 am
"Blood loss as a percentage of body weight differs between species: cows, 4.2 to 5.7%; calves, 4.4 to 6.7%; sheep, 4.4 to 7.6%; and pigs, 1.5 to 5.8%. Blood content as a percentage of live weight may decrease in heavier animals since the growth of blood volume does not keep pace with growth of live weight. Approximately 60% of blood is lost at sticking *, 20-25% remains in the viscera, while a maximum of 10% may remain in carcass muscles."
source

So my question is, if the muscle (meat) can contain up to 10% of an animal's blood wouldn't this make it unacceptable to Jehovah's Witnesses?

The official Jehovah's Witness website which outlines the body of our beliefs is : https://www.jw.org That and that ALONE contains our position regarding matters of faith. There is no statement therein on what percentage of "blood in raw meat" is acceptable.

As one of Jehovah's Witness myself I see no need to worry myself over the percentage of blood traces in bled meat. As onewithhim has said, the point is that the animal has been bled in respect to divine law (which again makes no mention of acceptable percentages). If 10% is the average thats fine with me, it means that 90% of the blood has been drained, more than adequate to consider "pouring" has been done.

The Watchtower November 1961 make this interesting observation
[Of course, the amount of blood contained in these creatures [insects] may be very small, so that it is impossible to pour out their blood; yet that is what was required to make the meat of a creature acceptable for food. (Lev. 17:13) It was not required that the meat be squeezed or that it be soaked; simply that the blood be poured out.
Further, The Watchtower September 1st, 1972
bleeding does not remove every trace of blood from the animal. But God’s law does not require that every single drop of blood be removed. It simply states that the animal should be bled.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 am
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:07 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Members of organized groups like this (and there are a great many) have likely already embraced the "statement of beliefs" and other doctrinal baggage (else they'd not have decided to become members).
That is not how it happened for me. So this statement is not true. Doctrinal baggage was lifted off of me. Jesus' load is light. (Matt 11:28-30). The death of the wicked doesn't burden me at all. Yet it seems from how you're reacting to scripture the Bible seems to burden you.

You sure like trying to guess how and why everyone is where they are. As Witnesses we are strongly encouraged not to judge a person before speaking with them. Are we perfect at it? No but as I said before, there are no perfect people.

1 Samuel 16:7 says, "mere man sees what appears to the eyes."
This is why as Witnesses we are taught to try and discern the heart, using God's Word the Bible. (Heb. 4:12)
Can we discuss blood transfusions then? how is that not doctrinal baggage? were you opposed to that before joining this organization?
I was not opposed. I didn't care. Now I do because of the following scripture. Not because of a religion. The JW religion can't do anything serious to me. Jehovah on the other hand can take away my life forever if I choose disobedience.
“Abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.” (Acts 15:19-21)

I do not fear anything by following the commandments in the Bible. if you fear for your life and think blood will save you, that is your baggage. Not mine. By obedience I secure my salvation which is my life.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #5

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:04 am
Members of organized groups like this (and there are a great many) have likely already embraced the "statement of beliefs" and other doctrinal baggage (else they'd not have decided to become members).
That is not how it happened for me. So this statement is not true. Doctrinal baggage was lifted off of me. Jesus' load is light. (Matt 11:28-30). The death of the wicked doesn't burden me at all. Yet it seems from how you're reacting to scripture the Bible seems to burden you.

You sure like trying to guess how and why everyone is where they are. As Witnesses we are strongly encouraged not to judge a person before speaking with them. Are we perfect at it? No but as I said before, there are no perfect people.

This is why as Witnesses we are taught to try and discern the heart, using God's Word the Bible. (Heb. 4:12)
Can we discuss blood transfusions then? how is that not doctrinal baggage? were you opposed to that before joining this organization?
I was not opposed. I didn't care. Now I do because of the following scripture. Not because of a religion. The JW religion can't do anything serious to me. Jehovah on the other hand can take away my life forever if I choose disobedience.
“Abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.” (Acts 15:19-21)
Even if that were true is losing one's own eternal life to save the life of another not a price worth paying?
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
There, right there, losing one's life is an expression of love toward others.

But why do you think God would deny eternal life just because of blood?

He cares not, it is a made up rule, a yoke, and the lecture Christ gave to the Pharisees should be enough for you to understand that.

All that these human led organizations do, with their rules, regulations, checklists and so on, all they do is confuse and mislead people, they are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Every organization, every "sect" must have its own distinguishing set of rules, beliefs, people pick the one they like the most and then spend the rest of their lives under a yoke.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:11 am

Even if that were true is losing one's own eternal life to save the life of another not a price worth paying?
Yet to take an innocent's person life is wrong. The Bible says that one's life is in their blood. (Lev. 17:1, 2, 11.)
Just because one gives their life is not an reason to disobey Acts 15:19-21.
By my refusing blood I am taking the life of no one. When a person gives their blood it's not theirs to give and it's not mine to take. When Jesus died for us, his blood didn't go into our veins to save us.
"Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. In turn, whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will clearly show myself to him.” - John 14:21
However to disobey is to sin there is only one reward for sin. "For the wages sin pays is death." - Romans 6:23
He cares not, it is a made up rule, a yoke, and the lecture Christ gave to the Pharisees should be enough for you to understand that.
It is not a made up rule. Unless you think Acts 15:19-21 is made up?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

ACTS 15:20

Abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.”

Various translations
https://biblehub.com/acts/15-20.htm

How can potentially prolonging one's own life by taking a blood transfusion equated to "losing your life to save another"? Wouldn't taking a blood transfusion in the hope you do not die be the exact opposite of a sacrifice?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:47 am
ACTS 15:20

Abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.”

Various translations
https://biblehub.com/acts/15-20.htm

How can potentially prolonging one's own life by taking a blood transfusion equated to "losing your life to save another"? Wouldn't taking a blood transfusion in the hope you do not die be the exact opposite of a sacrifice?
Not to mention if the person I give up eternal life for didn't receive eternal life themselves. Then I gave up my eternal life for what?

Sherlock Holmes

Post #9

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 am

Yet to take an innocent's person life is wrong. The Bible says that one's life is in their blood. (Lev. 17:1, 2, 11.)
By my refusing blood I am taking the life of no one. When a person gives their blood it's not theirs to give and it's not mine to take. When Jesus died for us, his blood didn't go into our veins to save us.
"Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. In turn, whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will clearly show myself to him.” - John 14:21
However to disobey is to sin there is only one reward for sin. "For the wages sin pays is death." - Romans 6:23
So you are the parent of a three year old child who has been hurt and lost a great deal of blood, the doctor says "Unless we get her a transfusion in the next twenty minutes she'll die" do you approve or not?

Do you really think that Acts, the person who wrote Acts was thinking of blood transfusions?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:47 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 am

So you are the parent of a three year old child who has been hurt and lost a great deal of blood, the doctor says "Unless we get her a transfusion in the next twenty minutes she'll die" do you approve or not?

Do you really think that Acts, the person who wrote Acts was thinking of blood transfusions?
The scripture says abstain from blood. Do you know what abstain means?
I don't think about what the person who wrote Acts was thinking. I do not view the book of Acts as from a man but from God. If wouldn't eat something that would take my eternal life, why in the world would taking it in the arm be different?

If it was my child they would not get the blood transfusion. If they die I will see them again soon in paradise. If I allow it while she might be resurrected because she had no choice I might not survive because of my lack of faith in the resurrection and willingness to break God's commandments based on by lack of faith.

Those that ignore Acts 15:19-21 are in fact braking God's laws to save a temporary life and not thinking of their eternal life. "Whoever seeks to keep his life safe will lose it, but whoever loses it will preserve it alive." Luke 17:33
I keep God's laws my life and the life of my child are assured in the paradise to come. Can the doctor give me that assurance? Can he even give me 100% assurance that my daughter's life will be saved by the blood transfusion?
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.