The atonement of Jesus Christ

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The atonement of Jesus Christ

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

Perhaps the single most important and all important doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that of the “Atonement”.

1. Can anyone clearly post all scripture that applies to the atonement?

2. Can anyone clearly show from the scriptures the entire history of this doctrine?

3. Can anyone show what the scriptures teach in detail on how the atonement works and what it does or does not do for us?

4. What requirements are required of us individually to receive the full benefits thereof?

I am not asking for opinions, but merely what the scriptures teach.

Best regards,
RW

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: The atonement of Jesus Christ

Post #2

Post by myth-one.com »

Revelations won wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:40 am Perhaps the single most important and all important doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ is that of the “Atonement”.

1. Can anyone clearly post all scripture that applies to the atonement?

2. Can anyone clearly show from the scriptures the entire history of this doctrine?

3. Can anyone show what the scriptures teach in detail on how the atonement works and what it does or does not do for us?

4. What requirements are required of us individually to receive the full benefits thereof?

I am not asking for opinions, but merely what the scriptures teach.

Best regards,
RW
The Bible contains two testaments or wills between God and man which define how mankind can atone for his sins and gain everlasting life.

The path to eternal life under the first covenant was to never sin. That is, the wages of sin is death. However, there was a fault in that first covenant in that all mankind sinned!

Suppose some human could live a sinless life. He would not be under the death sentence.

That is exactly what Jesus Christ did. And by doing so He became the first and only human to become an heir to everlasting under the original covenant. That is, His name is written in the Book of Life as an heir unto everlasting life.

But how can that benefit all of mankind?

God is true and just.

When Adam sinned, sin and death passed unto all mankind. So as by one man Adam, sinned entered all mankind, then it is equally just that through the gift of one man all mankind may find atonement.

So God allows Jesus to offer His inheritance of an everlasting life to whosoever believeth in Him as their Savior from the wages of their sins.

A New Testament Covenant was then created under which the path to salvation became a belief in Jesus as one's Savior:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Thus, salvation becomes a gift of God through Jesus Christ:

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

bjs1
Sage

Post #3

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Revelations won in post #1]

That is far, far too much information for an internet post. There are hundreds of verses which are directly or indirectly about the atonement.

If you want to dig into the topic from a biblical perspective, then I recommend John Stott’s book The Cross of Christ.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

John Bauer
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by John Bauer »

bjs1 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm
If you want to dig into the topic from a biblical perspective, then I recommend John Stott’s book The Cross of Christ.
To this excellent recommendation, I would add: John Murray, Redemption Accomplished and Applied (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1955).

And he's right, these questions require a book-length treatment (hence the recommendations). A discussion forum on the internet is no place for that depth of coverage.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #5

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #3]
On page 302 of his book entitled 'The Cross of Christ', John Stott wrote:
On the cross, by both demanding and bearing the penalty of sin and so simultaneously punishing and overcoming evil, God displayed and demonstrated his holy love; holy love of the cross should characterize our response to evil-doers today.

Two "deaths" are defined in the scriptures.

When the first "death" of any man is discussed in the Bible, the words used to describe that event are sleep or rest. Only man, among all the animals is said to sleep, slumber, or rest when he dies. In fact, when Jesus raised people from the dead, He often stated they were not dead, but simply asleep:

Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. (John 11:11)

And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn... (Mark 5:39-40)

This first "death" is appointed to all mankind:

And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (Hebrews 9:27)

Since the first death is appointed to all mankind, once born a man, Jesus had no choice but to experience a "first death."

So by Jesus dying His appointed first death on the cross, He did not "bear the penalty of our sins."
=========================================

The actual wages of our sins is the "second death":

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:14-15)

Those whose names are not written in the Book of Life (nonbelievers) are cast into the lake of fire and suffer their second and permanent physical death.

So the second death is the death which is the wages of sin.

To bear the penalty of our sins, Jesus would have to suffer the second death in the lake of fire.

=========================================

But it gets even worse! Most Christians teach that the true penalty is not death in the lake of fire, but everlasting torment in the lake of fire. So to pay the wages of our sins, Jesus would have to be now and eternally being tormented in the lake of fire.

The good news is that salvation or atonement no longer has anything to do with sin:

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. (Romans 6:14)

There is no longer any connection between sin and salvation:

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

"Whosoever" may accept the free gift of salvation! No matter who or what they are!

[To discover how the GIFT is created and obtained, click here to go to post #2] :D

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by PinSeeker »

John Bauer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:59 am
bjs1 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm
To this excellent recommendation, I would add: John Murray, Redemption Accomplished and Applied (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1955).

And he's right, these questions require a book-length treatment (hence the recommendations). A discussion forum on the internet is no place for that depth of coverage.
Great recommendations, both; I'm looking at them on my bookshelf right now... :)

Some might want an easier, lighter read, and for that I would recommend Michael Horton's Putting Amazing Back Into Grace:

Revelations won
Sage

Post #7

To whom it may concern,

I find one of the most comprehensive and well documented works on Christ and the atonement is: "Jesus the Christ" by Dr. James E. Talmage. I for one have found this extremely edifying.

Best wishes to all,
RW

Revelations won
Sage

Post #8

I might ask what happens if we do not repent of our sins?

How will we suffer for our unreported sins?

Is there a sin unto death? What is this sin?

Let's hear your answers to the above questions.

Kind regards,
RW

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #9

Post by myth-one.com »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm I might ask what happens if we do not repent of our sins?

How will we suffer for our unreported sins?

Is there a sin unto death? What is this sin?

Let's hear your answers to the above questions.

Kind regards,
RW
Atonement and salvation are no longer linked to sin.

What is an unreported sin? We suffer for our sins here on the earth.

What is a sin to death? There is one "unforgivable" sin -- blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.