What Does The Bible Say About Elective Abortion?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

What Does The Bible Say About Elective Abortion?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

I ask because I can't find a darn thing. And if it isn't addressed in the Bible how important can it be?

Tcg
Savant

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Abortion?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

After a bit of cursory research I found that Assyrian law addressed it in 1075 BCE. An Egyptian papyrus mentioned it as early as 1550 BCE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion

Before I read this I was going to state that the Bible doesn't mention it because humans hadn't yet developed the technology to perform abortions. Obviously I was wrong and I too have found no mention of it in the Bible.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Elective Abortion?

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:20 pmI ask because I can't find a darn thing.
Depending on how one reads Numbers 5:11-31, Yahweh is potentially fine with aborting the children of adulterous unions. In a combination of divination and trial by ordeal, a man that thinks his wife might be cheating on him can make his wife drink water mixed with dirt from the tabernacle (remember that the altar on which animals are slaughtered, bled, and burnt is just on the other side of the tent flap and this would be the equivalent of dirt from a barn floor). If the "curse goes into her bowels" and her "thigh falls away," then that's the sign from Yahweh that she was unfaithful as well as her punishment for having been so. Since this is TD&D and the way the text is worded leaves no room for either false positives or negatives in Yahweh's divine judgement, we can be assured that her "thigh" would "fall away" even if she were pregnant of the liason. I can't imagine a scenario in which that would occur, but the innocent, unborn child would survive to be born.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:20 pm I ask because I can't find a darn thing. And if it isn't addressed in the Bible how important can it be?
Bible tells that we should love others and do good, what we would want to be done to us. By that, if you don’t want to be aborted against your will, don’t abort anyone else against their will.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by PinSeeker »

Commandment number six (Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17) covers any and all types of murder of people of any age. Just four short words are sufficient: "You shall not murder."

Grace and peace to all.
Last edited by PinSeeker on Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:03 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:20 pm I ask because I can't find a darn thing. And if it isn't addressed in the Bible how important can it be?
Bible tells that we should love others and do good, what we would want to be done to us. By that, if you don’t want to be aborted against your will, don’t abort anyone else against their will.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is obviously a poor maxim when on considers some of the wants of others. Should I whip others because I'm a masochist who likes to be whipped? Of course not. So a far more reasonable maxim would be "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them."

The Golden Rule is nothing but a fools-golden rule. Jesus (Matthew 7:12), among other folk, simply got it wrong.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:19 pm Commandment number seven (Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17) covers any and all types of murder of people of any age.
That's alright because in the USA, at least, abortion is not considered murder. And who determined that an embryo or fetus is people (a person)? The word certainly doesn't fit the definition.

"Person
A person (plural people or persons) is a being that has certain capacities or attributes such as reason, morality, consciousness or self-consciousness, and being a part of a culturally established form of social relations such as kinship, ownership of property, or legal responsibility."
Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by Miles on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

“If men should struggle with each other and they hurt a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but no fatality results, the offender must pay the damages imposed on him by the husband of the woman; and he must pay it through the judges. But if a fatality does occur, then you must give life for life.”—Exodus 21:22, 23.

If the penalty is for death for a careless person that accidentally kills an unborn child, I don't see why a person that intentionally kills an unborn child would get a pass.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:19 pmCommandment number six (Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17) covers any and all types of murder of people of any age. Just four short words are sufficient: "You shall not murder."

Grace and peace to all.
Since there are many circumstances under which homicide is sanctioned in the Bible, citing a generic commandment against murder (prohibited homicide) to claim that an abortion is a murder is an invalid argument. It also just looks like you're trying to sidestep what the OP was asking.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:20 pm .

I ask because I can't find a darn thing. And if it isn't addressed in the Bible how important can it be?

Personally, I don't much care what it does or doesn't say. People need to listen to science and themselves, not long dead men, from a time when people thought people were made from mud and important dead ones rose from the dead.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!