"Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

If you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?

HarlanGeorge
Student

Re: "Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Post #31

Post by HarlanGeorge »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

I would be real..
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

William
Savant

Post #32

Post by William »

HarlanGeorge wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:08 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

I would be real..
That is assumed already, in the OP.

I think Einstein was talking about the word 'god' as nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses. He was also talking about the Bible as a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends [which are nevertheless pretty childish] and that no one's interpretation [of the Bible] no matter how subtle can [for him and others who hold this view] change said view.
What he wasn't saying was that it is clear that we do not exist within a Creation, or that a Creator of said Creation would be anything like the Bible interpretation of a Creator.

HarlanGeorge
Student

Post #33

Post by HarlanGeorge »

[Replying to William in post #33]

I agree with your comments about Einstein's theology of the Abrahamic God, but I would not concur with your statement about his belief in a creator. Einstein was a man of science and tended to lean toward proof and facts as evidence, his belief in evolution. He also admired the Jewish Philopsher Baruch Spinoza and stated that his religious beliefs would be closest to his. Spinoza was a self-proclaimed Pantheist meaning God is found in the combination of substances, forces, and laws of the universe. Although Einstein denied being a pantheist he did think that the closest anyone could come to experiencing god could be seen in the natural order of things. He claimed, he was not an atheist but was in fact an agnostic which is a long way off from believing in the God of creation.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

William
Savant

Post #34

Post by William »

[Replying to HarlanGeorge in post #34]

I did not say that he believed in a Creator, or that he believed we exist within a Creation. I wrote that what he wasn't saying was that it is clear that we do not exist within a Creation, or that a Creator of said Creation would be anything like the Bible interpretation of a Creator.

HarlanGeorge
Student

Post #35

Post by HarlanGeorge »

[Replying to William in post #35]

Ah, okay. I misread your double negative.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

[Replying to HarlanGeorge in post #36]

I might also add that no scientist can support a claim we do not exist within a creation.