"Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

If you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: "Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So my ways are higher than your ways
And my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isa 55:9

I wouldn't even take said opportunity. Pfff what do I know better than the One that created it all.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 pm .

If you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?

A very similar start. But I'd provide those that ask for proof to believe in and accept with with the proof they need (which is sorely lacking in the current god's arsenal).
I wouldn't condemn those that don't accept me or follow me to eternal damnation; those that want to come and be with me can (and reap the rewards), those that don't want can go and live an 'afterlife' much like this one. Which means pros and cons, but no eternal damnation.
Why? Because I'm not as arrogant as the current god seems to be. Don't get me wrong: I'm arrogant to a degree, just not to the level of the 'big guy upstairs'.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 am "For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

I wouldn't even take said opportunity. Pfff what do I know better than the One that created it all.

Well, you may not want to bother with the Flood, god's failed attempt to set the world right.

Or even the whole Don't-Eat-The-Apple game in the very beginning.

...............................Image

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:33 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 am "For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

Well, you may not want to bother with the Flood, god's failed attempt to set the world right.

Because you were there and know what really needed to be done and you have it all figured out eh. Pff Whatever. It also shows your lack of Bible teaching. The flood wasn't to set the world right. It was so that mankind wouldn't disappear from the Earth before God completed His promise to people faithful to Him. I'm sure you don't know though you've been told countless times what will set the world right.
I'm still waiting for mankind's solution. When you have it let us all know when you're ready to fix all of the world's problems. Until then, the only thing people that complain about the past is contributing to the world is more whining. Zzzzzz Wake me when you have a solution to fix the world. I mean isn't that what your asking from people? So, answer your own question. You have my answer.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Because you were there and know what really needed to be done and you have it all figured out eh.
Well I do know what the Bible says. That . . . .

Genesis 6:5-6
5 . . . the Lord saw that man was very sinful on the earth. Every plan and thought of the heart of man was sinful always. 6 The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth. He had sorrow in His heart.

So what is it that you know that's any different?

The flood wasn't to set the world right. It was so that mankind wouldn't disappear from the Earth before God completed His promise to people faithful to Him.
So why have Noah and co. go to the trouble of building the ark and saving his family if mankind wasn't suppose to start over better?

I'm still waiting for mankind's solution.
Solution to what, all the evil god has saddled mankind with?

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Miles in post #6]

I don't care who you think saddled what on whom. Where the problems came from is a strawman. I still just see more complaining and whining, yet still no solutions. Please give us the solution to all of mankind's problems not where you think the problems came from. Enlighten the whole world and answer the question in the OP, "what would you do differently"? Set us all straight with your magnificent wisdom and stop moving the goal post. No more whining please as I can get that from just about anyone. It seems you have it all figured out, don't keep it from the world, spit it out because we need it now.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 pmIf you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?
I wouldn't give people free will. Or at very least, I wouldn't give people free will unless they wanted it (so far this is what God actually did) but what I would do differently is let people give up their free will and be perfect again if they really wanted to, especially since they can't have really known what they were asking for.

I'm not talking about the fact that we all have the choice to be good. I would allow people the robot option: Be a prisoner in your own body, which always does the moral, right and good thing. You're now simply along for the ride; you can't act. But you'll get to experience doing the right thing and being a good person.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:44 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 pmIf you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?
I wouldn't give people free will. Or at very least, I wouldn't give people free will unless they wanted it (so far this is what God actually did) but what I would do differently is let people give up their free will and be perfect again if they really wanted to, especially since they can't have really known what they were asking for.

I'm not talking about the fact that we all have the choice to be good. I would allow people the robot option: Be a prisoner in your own body, which always does the moral, right and good thing. You're now simply along for the ride; you can't act. But you'll get to experience doing the right thing and being a good person.
That was certainly an option for Jehovah. Yet that is not what He did.

While it seems now to be a good idea to make people robots only knowing how to act the way God wants them to, they wouldn't get the 'experience doing the right thing and being a good person.' What is a person? Is an individual without choice an individual or a person at all? Aren't they just programs running a prewritten code? Instinct seems to work much this way in animals. From observation it doesn't seem animals know what good or bad is. They also don't know what being alive means. When a tiger goes after it's prey, the prey just knows to get away, but doesn't understand the tiger's life depends on it's death. It doesn't understand that if there were too many plant eaters that eventually it would die of starvation. It only does a few things. Eat, run when chased and make more like itself. This would what man would be like without choice. Intelligence depends on choice and without choice then it's not intelligence it's something to look like intelligence. What would be the point of that to Jehovah? Who is He trying to fool into thinking He made something special?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 pmWhile it seems now to be a good idea to make people robots only knowing how to act the way God wants them to, they wouldn't get the 'experience doing the right thing and being a good person.'
That's certainly a legit way to think of it. But think of it this way. Let's say I know stealing is wrong, and I steal all the time. I can't stop. Now, because I know I can't stop, and I want to, I cut off both my hands so I can't steal anymore. People will be certain to notice if I steal with my feet or my mouth, and I know I won't get away with it.

I have used my choice to limit my choices in the future to righteous choices only. Now, you can say, I have cheated the game. The only way it counts is if I have hands and, at that moment, choose not to steal. I wouldn't disagree that it's cheating. I'm banishing temptation, or avoiding it, instead of resisting it.

And yet I made a choice that meant I didn't steal.

Now here's where I 100% agree with you: I don't think such a person should get any credit for not stealing. But as for me, that's fine. I don't care about credit. I understand that the result of the life I want as a morality robot is neither Heaven nor Hell but nothingness. So be it. I want to be good. Frankly I don't give a carp how I get there.
2timothy316 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 pmWhat would be the point of that to Jehovah?
Nothing. Less than nothing actually since it takes away something that was special that God is certainly very proud of having made. I'm certain he'd feel like someone was balling up his beautiful artwork and throwing it in the trash.

It's something I would do if I were God for the benefit of humans. Even if I think what I have made is beautiful and unique and wonderful, I wouldn't object if the painting wants to ball itself up and throw itself away. That was the question and that's my answer. I think it's a decent one.

I also know you probably have an answer. That you know your answer is wrong and wouldn't act on it doesn't mean you can't share it. My answer might be wrong, but at my level of understanding, that is my choice as to what I would change.