"Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

If you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: "Ok, Scratch This That And The Other Thing"

Post #21

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:58 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:50 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:37 pmWhile we both could have a certain level of understanding of how a car engine works, that knowledge pales in comparison in what Jehovah would know about car engines. He'd know things about engines that we could never know. He'd know ALL engines ever made, in use right now, and all possible engines that could ever be imagined.
And of course he could make the perfect car engine. When he makes a perfect engine, it's expected; that is the level of his ability. But if you make a functional one, that's spectacular.
I know if I had a choice between a car made by me and one made by Jehovah, I'd choose Jehovah's. It wouldn't even be a close contest.
Well I'd choose yours.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:13 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:37 pmWhile we both could have a certain level of understanding of how a car engine works, that knowledge pales in comparison in what Jehovah would know about car engines. He'd know things about engines that we could never know. He'd know ALL engines ever made, in use right now, and all possible engines that could ever be imagined.
And of course he could make the perfect car engine. When he makes a perfect engine, it's expected; that is the level of his ability. But if you make a functional one, that's spectacular.
I know if I had a choice between a car made by me and one made by Jehovah, I'd choose Jehovah's. It wouldn't even be a close contest.
Well I'd choose yours.
And that's why mankind is where it is today. So many still choose the inferior over the superior.

Miles
Savant

Post #23

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 pm What I could say is: now that you know that soon this wicked system of things is going to be totally dismantled and that human beings who do not have the necessary attitude are not going to move on to the next, what will you do about it?

It is not the past that can be changed ... it is your own future.

FYI. If you don't want to play the game it's not necessary to announce it. Image

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:22 pm
Well I'd choose yours.
And that's why mankind is where it is today. So many still choose the inferior over the superior.
Inferior is relative. I would also choose my own child's drawing over the Mona Lisa, and for the same reason.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #25

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:26 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:22 pm
Well I'd choose yours.
Inferior is relative. I would also choose my own child's drawing over the Mona Lisa, and for the same reason.
Well, you're moving the goal post from a car to a child's drawing. I don't think you'd drive your child in a car that was inferior in safety. No seatbelts, airbags, lights etc. So, inferior is not always relative.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:28 pmWell, you're moving the goal post from a car to a child's drawing. I don't think you'd drive your child in a car that was inferior in safety. No seatbelts, airbags, lights etc. So, inferior is not always relative.
Some people just don't buckle their seatbelts when they have them. They take that risk for nothing, other than their own laziness. In fact, so many people do this that laws must be enacted to protect them from themselves. Is it that shocking that I'd take this risk for a reason, which is to prove that I'd rather have the thing I consider to have more value?

Some people do this too. It's not a secret that Americans can't make anything decent. But some people buy inferior American-made goods, and pay more for them, because it's important to them to support their countrymen. Their countrymen are important to them.

Well my species is important to me.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #27

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:38 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:28 pmWell, you're moving the goal post from a car to a child's drawing. I don't think you'd drive your child in a car that was inferior in safety. No seatbelts, airbags, lights etc. So, inferior is not always relative.
Some people just don't buckle their seatbelts when they have them. They take that risk for nothing, other than their own laziness. In fact, so many people do this that laws must be enacted to protect them from themselves. Is it that shocking that I'd take this risk for a reason, which is to prove that I'd rather have the thing I consider to have more value?
And when one these people dies in a car crash where their death could have been avoided, what did they prove? That making a lazy choice is worth more than their lives? Should we congratulate people for that? Oh wait, they're dead they will never hear all the congratulations.
Some people do this too. It's not a secret that Americans can't make anything decent. But some people buy inferior American-made goods, and pay more for them, because it's important to them to support their countrymen. Their countrymen are important to them.
What about when it puts you and your loved ones at risk of serious harm or death? A couple of years ago there was a recall on Takata airbags. They had a nasty habit of shoving shrapnel into people's chest at over 200 MPH when they deployed. Would you drive a car with one of these inferior airbags just because it was made by your countrymen?
Well my species is important to me.
Then choose superior options that benefit both you and them.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Purple Knight »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 pmAnd when one these people dies in a car crash where their death could have been avoided, what did they prove?
Nothing. But I am trying to prove something. I'm an old sci-fi nerd and I was always an atheist, but to me this is the old Asimov problem about a giant computer that runs society. Yes, the giant computer could run society better. I've always been of the mind that such a giant computer diminishes us, and keep it away from me. If it only controls and punishes crime, maybe, but definitely not if it feeds us, clothes us, and makes all our stuff, keeping us perpetual infants.
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 pmWhat about when it puts you and your loved ones at risk of serious harm or death? A couple of years ago there was a recall on Takata airbags. They had a nasty habit of shoving shrapnel into people's chest at over 200 MPH when they deployed. Would you drive a car with one of these inferior airbags just because it was made by your countrymen?

When it's others I want them to choose for themselves. Let them choose the car made by God. When it's just me, I choose the car made by another person, at least as long as they're not trying to kill me. If they've made their best effort to keep me safe (sounds like Takata did not), then I want their car, not a giant computer's car, and not God's car. I want it that way so I can give something back. I can make something that the other person would want. I don't want to be a perpetual infant in a crib.

And that's why I want your answer to this thread even if you don't.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by 2timothy316 »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 pmAnd when one these people dies in a car crash where their death could have been avoided, what did they prove?
Nothing. But I am trying to prove something. I'm an old sci-fi nerd and I was always an atheist, but to me this is the old Asimov problem about a giant computer that runs society. Yes, the giant computer could run society better. I've always been of the mind that such a giant computer diminishes us, and keep it away from me. If it only controls and punishes crime, maybe, but definitely not if it feeds us, clothes us, and makes all our stuff, keeping us perpetual infants.
A computer would be an inferior choice to run society better. I'm with you on that. Yet it would be the superior choice to play a video game on.
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 pmWhat about when it puts you and your loved ones at risk of serious harm or death? A couple of years ago there was a recall on Takata airbags. They had a nasty habit of shoving shrapnel into people's chest at over 200 MPH when they deployed. Would you drive a car with one of these inferior airbags just because it was made by your countrymen?

When it's others I want them to choose for themselves. Let them choose the car made by God. When it's just me, I choose the car made by another person, at least as long as they're not trying to kill me. If they've made their best effort to keep me safe (sounds like Takata did not), then I want their car, not a giant computer's car, and not God's car. I want it that way so I can give something back. I can make something that the other person would want. I don't want to be a perpetual infant in a crib.

And that's why I want your answer to this thread even if you don't.
Do I seem like an infant in a crib?
Well my answer is that I'd do exactly what has transpired so far. A&E, the trees, etc. Everything the Bible says happened, I'd follow it to a tee. To give you anything other than that could harm you. It would be like giving you a car with inferior airbag. I care about my species too ya know.

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 pm .

If you were given the chance to be god and had the opportunity to start the "whole thing" over what would you do differently?

Nothing. It is perfect just the way it is.

As such, if it were perfection I was looking for in a creation, this would be it. It is a most wonderful thing and having gained sight of that, I do not see how wishing for something different about something which is created and exists, as being a productive pursuit.