The Atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The Atonement

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic.

Kind regards,
RW

Revelations won
Sage

Re: The Atonement

Post #51

Post by Revelations won »

Greetings to all,

In my opening post I asked:

"To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic."

Is there anyone who can answer the above questions?

Kind regards,
RW

onewithhim
Savant

Post #52

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:19 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:04 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:43 am The "atonement" I believe covers over inherited (adamic) sin and makes salvation of mankind possible. (John 3:16)
Really? John 3:16 doesn't mention anything about Adam.

Tcg
Well, a whole lot of other verses do. When referred to in the New Testament, the atonement/ransom is the price Jesus paid to BUY BACK what Adam lost.

"For since death came through a man, resurrection of the dead also comes through a man. For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive." (I Corinthians 15:21,22)

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #53

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:54 pm When referred to in the New Testament, the atonement/ransom is the price Jesus paid to BUY BACK what Adam lost.
Salvation or atonement cannot be bought.

It is a gift of God through Jesus Christ:
Romans 6:14 wrote:For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:23 wrote:For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #54

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:44 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:54 pm When referred to in the New Testament, the atonement/ransom is the price Jesus paid to BUY BACK what Adam lost.

Romans 6:14 wrote:For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:23 wrote:For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
I wouldn't argue with that at all. You seem to be looking to argue, over any little thing. Now it's my use of the term "buy back." Isn't that what a ransom is? It is something that will be used to regain the thing lost? How about that word---regain. Mankind lost their perfection and had no recourse to escape sin and death until Jesus Christ came to ransom--or, buy back, or, regain---the lives of humanity.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #55

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:30 am

I wouldn't argue with that at all. You seem to be looking to argue, over any little thing. Now it's my use of the term "buy back." Isn't that what a ransom is? It is something that will be used to regain the thing lost? How about that word---regain. Mankind lost their perfection and had no recourse to escape sin and death until Jesus Christ came to ransom--or, buy back, or, regain---the lives of humanity.

Man never had everlasting life. So mankind's "everlasting life" cannot be lost, bought back, restored, regained, etc.

In fact, Mankind was expelled from the Garden of Eden to separate them from the Tree of Life, lest they eat from it and gain everlasting life!

Four thousand years later, Jesus was born as a Jewish man. He had no choice but to die His first death, because the first physical death is appointed to all mankind.

<================================>

However, He lived a sinless life prior to His death and became an heir to everlasting life under the Old Testament Covenant between God and the nation of Israel. He was a Jewish man, and thus a valid participant under the Old Testament covenant.

Under the New Testament Covenant, the covenant between mankind and God was expanded to all the world --
Gentiles and Jews; and the requirement to gain everlasting life became a belief in Jesus Christ as one's Savior.

Those who believe in Him will be given His inheritance which He earned under the Old Testament Covenant when the New Testament covenant is probated. So His inheritance earned under the old covenant becomes the possession which the heirs under the New Testament Covenant will inherit.

Thus, salvation under the New Testament Covenant becomes a gift of everlasting life from God through Jesus Christ.

It's a legal thing.

Does anyone else understand that?

Does that make any sense to anyone?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #56

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:26 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:30 am

Man never had everlasting life. So mankind's "everlasting life" cannot be lost, bought back, restored, regained, etc.
I wonder how many times it has to be said that man was created to live forever, and if Adam hadn't rebelled he would still be here! All a human has to do is remain loyal to God and obey His principles. Jesus died in our places so that we can live forever, right here on this planet. He "bought back" our lives.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #57

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 am I wonder how many times it has to be said that man was created to live forever, and if Adam hadn't rebelled he would still be here!

All a human has to do is remain loyal to God and obey His principles. Jesus died in our places so that we can live forever, right here on this planet. He "bought back" our lives.
You claim that man was created to live forever.

You then claim that Jesus bought back our lives.

But if Jesus bought back our lives, then our lives had to have been taken away. That makes your first claim that man was created to live forever false.

=======================================================

Will these lives which Jesus "bought back" have to "remain loyal to God and obey His principles" in order to retain their new lives -- as Adam & Eve did?

If so, we're simply back to square one! Right?

Can you imagine God the Father calling Jesus in and asking, "How often is it that your Father asks you to do something? Those earthlings have sinned again and are all headed for death. I need you to go there as a mortal, live a sinless life, you know..."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #58

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:55 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 am I wonder how many times it has to be said that man was created to live forever, and if Adam hadn't rebelled he would still be here!

All a human has to do is remain loyal to God and obey His principles. Jesus died in our places so that we can live forever, right here on this planet. He "bought back" our lives.

But if Jesus bought back our lives, then our lives had to have been taken away. That makes your first claim that man was created to live forever false.
No. Man was CREATED to live forever. If he rebelled and disobeyed he would die. That doesn't eliminate the truth of man being created to live forever. If Adam had not rebelled he would still be here.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #59

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:21 pm

No. Man was CREATED to live forever. If he rebelled and disobeyed he would die. That doesn't eliminate the truth of man being created to live forever. If Adam had not rebelled he would still be here.
He's still here. He's resting in his grave and will be resurrected at the second resurrection which occurs a thousand years after the Second Coming.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #60

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:33 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:21 pm

He's still here. He's resting in his grave and will be resurrected at the second resurrection which occurs a thousand years after the Second Coming.
No, he's not here. There is no reason to think that he will be resurrected. He was perfect and did not make a boo-boo., a little mistake....he deliberately turned against Jehovah and willfully disobeyed Him, knowing the consequences. He was by no means faithful. The Bible calls the faithful being from among Abel down to Christ.