The Atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The Atonement

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic.

Kind regards,
RW

onewithhim
Savant

Re: The Atonement

Post #311

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:40 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:16 am [Replying to onewithhim in post #301]

The Christ of scripture was 1 Pet 1:20

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

In fact He was in the Mind and Purpose of God slain from the foundation of the world, which I believe means before the foundation of the world Rev 13:8

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
I said---the "world" is not the planet itself or even the creation of humans. It is the world of alienated humans that began AFTER Adam rebelled and caused sin and death to "reign" on the planet. Jesus was foreordained after that event and before Cain became the first of the "world" alienated from God. It was after Adam's disobedience that God purposed for Jesus to be slain.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #312

Post by Brightfame52 »

The Blood of the Covenant cont

Yes, The Blood of the Covenant brings out the Prisoners, those that were captive by the devil 2 Tim 2:26

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

The Blood of the Covenant opens blind eyes ! Isa 42:7

To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

We by Nature are Spiritually blind ! Acts 26:18

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Thats the giving also the eye of Faith. To open their eyes, not to offer it.

Paul was a Minister of the New Covenant 2 Cor 3.. The Covenant Blood of Christ demands that all for whom He died be given Spiritual sight.. Hence Jesus says Jn 6:40

40And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #313

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Brightfame52 in post #312]

That is God's will.....but people have to want to accept Christ as their Savior. If not, they will eventually die.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #314

Post by Brightfame52 »

Perfected forever !

Heb 10:14

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

This is one of the many many ways we know the scripture does not teach that Christ died for all mankind without exception, the fact being, those He did die for [ one offering] he hath by that death, perfected them forever !

From the merits of His death effects their sanctification in time by the Holy Spirit. The text here states that He hath perfected forever them that are sanctified. The word sanctified here is the greek word hagiazo and means:

to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
to separate from profane things and dedicate to God consecrate things to God
dedicate people to God
to purify
to cleanse externally
to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
to purify internally by renewing of the soul

And its a present passive participle, meaning they are being sanctified or renewed.

This being set apart for the active purpose of God, the internal renewing as per Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

All this renewing and sanctifying work is being done as an accomplishment of the offering of Christ and its resultant perfecting forever.

So either Christ death will eventually cause all to be renewed by the Holy Ghost [ Titus 3:5] which we know is not the case, or His death was limited to only some, who will be renewed by the Holy Ghost or we deny the Truth of the accomplishment of His offering [death] that it hath perfected forever them He died for.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #315

Post by Brightfame52 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:44 am [Replying to Brightfame52 in post #312]

That is God's will.....but people have to want to accept Christ as their Savior. If not, they will eventually die.
I never heard of such a thing.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #316

Post by onewithhim »

Brightfame52 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:40 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:44 am [Replying to Brightfame52 in post #312]

I never heard of such a thing.
All I can further say now is: read the Bible. It's explained very well in the Scriptures, as I and others here have tried to show you.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #317

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will die regardless (Jeremiah 31:30).

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #318

Post by Brightfame52 »

I have finished the Work !

The Lord Jesus Christ in contemplation of His impending death and subsequent resurrection from the dead for all whom the Father hath given Him in the Everlasting Covenant, as Surety for their sins against the Law of God, stated this ! Jn 17:4

4I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

The word finished here is the greek word Teleioo and means:

to make perfect, complete
to carry through completely, to accomplish, finish, bring to an end
to complete (perfect)
add what is yet wanting in order to render a thing full
to be found perfect
to bring to the end (goal) proposed
to accomplish
bring to a close or fulfilment by event
of the prophecies of the scriptures

Christ has left nothing undone, all completed. Now what is the Work that God the Father gave Him to do ?

It was nothing less than to seek and to save that which was Lost Lk 19:10

10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

That is the work that God the Father gave to His Son to accomplish. Jn 6:38-40

38For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Not one Lost soul for whom the Father gave to the Son to seek and to save should be Lost, if it is, Christ is a liar and has left undone the Work which His Father gave Him to do.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #319

Post by Brightfame52 »

To seek and to save that which was Lost !

Lk 19:10

For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Now what was it that was Lost that Christ came to seek and to save ?

It was the Sons of God that sinned in Adam, and Jesus Christ was successful in Saving all of them.

This has been Illustrated by the parable of the Lost Son Lk 15:11-32

The Father in this Parable would be God the Father, and the Lost Son would be all the Sons of God who went astray in Adam Lk 3:38

38Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Adam was the embodiment and Legal Federal Head of all the Sons of God at Creation in the Physical Lives.

They were Lost in Adam through his disobedience and became alienated from the Father.

Upon their reconciliation they are said to be found as in the Parable Lk 15:24,32

24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

The Lost Son returning to His Father is the effect of the Work of Christ done on his behalf.. Lk 15:17-20

17And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

19And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

20And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

You see, that was the objective of Christ's Death, to bring back to God His Lost Sons 1 Pet 3:18

18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

1 Pet 2:24-25

24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

The word returned here is the greek word Epistrepho and means:

to cause to return, to bring back

Thats what the Prodigal Son was experiencing when he made up his mind to return to his Fathers house.

This is the effect of Christ Death for each Son of God who sinned in Adam, they will be returned back to God, and that is what Christ came to do by His Death Lk 19:10

10For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

If Each Son of God that was Lost in Adam does not convert as the Prodigal did in Lk 15:17-20 and it not be heard Lk 15:24

24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

Then the Lord Jesus Christ failed in His Mission for His Father to seek and to save that which was Lost His death did not accomplish the objective !

onewithhim
Savant

Post #320

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:06 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will die regardless (Jeremiah 31:30).
I'm talking about eternal death. Those that choose to accept Christ's sacrifice will be able to live forever. Those that don't will die.

"The one who exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; the one who disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him." (John 3:36)